PDA

View Full Version : The doubles are huge!

elektra
01-10-2009, 11:24 PM
So I went and test drove some double strollers today. I was considering the BJCED and the Bob Duallie. The place I went only had the baby joggers though.
Those air tire rigs are freaking huge! I know they supposedly fit through doorways but I didn't realize how ginormous they were.
I am seriously considering a BJ City Mini now. The handle was high, and it just seemed more manageable for in and out of the car and such. But the wheels not being air.....
I just don't know what to get now.
I have 3 singles in my lineup, and I really like each one for what it does (MBUS, P3, Zapp) but I want to get just one double.

There are also a few MBUD's I am seeing on Craiglist. I really like my MBUS but I really want a better canopy.

Decisions, decisions...

bubbaray
01-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Now you know why I don't want to take my BJCSD to Disneyland, LOL!

Keep your P3. Its my go to "double" -- I take it to dr's offices, etc. with both kids and it works really well. DD#1 was able to use it once DD#2 was sitting up a bit in the stroller (it was harder for her to hang on the back when the stroller seat was reclined). She was not quite 3 when DD#2 was born.

HTH

elektra
01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Now you know why I don't want to take my BJCSD to Disneyland, LOL!

HTH

I totally thought of you in the store, I was like, "I just suggested that someone travel with this thing over a P3!" I knew the BJCS's were big but I had never actually gave one a push.
I think a spreadsheet with dimensions, weights, folds in now in order for me.

FWIW, even after seeing the monstrosity in person I still think you will really like your double once you get down here to the OC without a car, and for in the park as well. The planes, trains and automobiles that you will take to get here on the other hand....., it might be a PITA for all of those situations.

bubbaray
01-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Oh yes, ITA. IN a park/zoo/anywhere with lots of walking, you really can't beat an air-tire stroller. ITA that my girls (well, DD#1 -- DD#2 hates any stroller) would be more comfy in the BJCSD.

But, I still have problems figuring out how to get it TO Disney! I'm kinda worried if the airline would refuse to gate-check it, which would create 2 problems -- 1) getting through the airport without a stroller to use as a cart and 2) luggage checking it would make me VERY nervous.

Anyway, back to your original question, one thing I would add is, depending on the age span between your kiddos, you might want to wait on getting the double. I didn't get out a whole lot with both girls when DD#2 was a newborn anyway, KWIM? Plus, that will give you some time to see what you want (and what your kiddos like)

For example, we did NOT like the P&T stroller, though the concept ROCKS. If I had purchased one prior to the birth of DD#2, for *us* it would have been a big mistake.

I don't think you can really have just *one* stroller. You'll definitely use your P3 IMO. FWIW, we still use our MBUS a lot too.

salsah
01-11-2009, 01:35 AM
i keep thinking that baby jogger should make air tires for the mini (that work with the current frame) so that you can switch wheels depending on where you are going.

BeachBum
01-11-2009, 09:22 AM
I have a MBUS and a MBUD. I totally agree about the canopy sucking. But, I just put a Ray Shade on there and it really is fine.
The MBUD is one of the most narrow AT Doubles, but just like the single the fold is Large. I like it because of the carrycot option (and it also takes a single car seat clip).
I did get a really good deal on ebay... and picked up the carrycot there too. That is what ultimately made my decision for me.

I haven't seen a Bumbleride Indie Twin in person...but I think it looks really great online http://www.bumbleride.com/collection2008/indie-twin.php
It might be something for you to check out....
The Jane Powertwin (air tire tandem) is also on my list for later. (We're having twins so I need both seats to fully recline)

Melaine
01-11-2009, 11:11 AM
This is coming from someone who unfortunately has not yet had occasion to own a single stroller *sigh*, but while doubles are a PITA....the BJCSD is pretty awesome about fitting through doors, etc. I swear it FEELS huge but it manuevers great and fits through everything I've tried it with....I have finally settled on the BJCSD as my one and only stroller. I was really interested in the Mini, too though....

arivecchi
01-11-2009, 03:51 PM
i keep thinking that baby jogger should make air tires for the mini (that work with the current frame) so that you can switch wheels depending on where you are going. Absolutely! It would be the perfect double if they did that!

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2009, 08:21 PM
But, I still have problems figuring out how to get it TO Disney! I'm kinda worried if the airline would refuse to gate-check it, which would create 2 problems -- 1) getting through the airport without a stroller to use as a cart and 2) luggage checking it would make me VERY nervous.

I don't think they'll refuse it, especially if you (rather, DH) bag(s) it. They didn't say anything about ours.

bubbaray
01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't think they'll refuse it, especially if you (rather, DH) bag(s) it. They didn't say anything about ours.

We're not flying out of the US, we're flying out of Canada. They can refuse to allow your laptop computer on board here if they want. They can also refuse to take your stroller and just leave it (abandoned) at the gate, so you end up at your destination, but your stroller does not.

strollerqueen
01-11-2009, 09:42 PM
we're not flying out of the us, we're flying out of canada. They can refuse to allow your laptop computer on board here if they want. They can also refuse to take your stroller and just leave it (abandoned) at the gate, so you end up at your destination, but your stroller does not.

what?????? Abandon a stroller???? How dare they!!!!!!

MamaBear
01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
We're not flying out of the US, we're flying out of Canada. They can refuse to allow your laptop computer on board here if they want. They can also refuse to take your stroller and just leave it (abandoned) at the gate, so you end up at your destination, but your stroller does not.

Ahhh, sounds like you are flying AC...

elektra
01-12-2009, 01:19 AM

OMG, this would really stress me out too. All my Canada trips were pre-kids. Oh the things I never concerned myself with!

I don't think you can really have just *one* stroller. You'll definitely use your P3 IMO. FWIW, we still use our MBUS a lot too.

I am definitely keeping my P3. My kids will be 26 months apart so I imagine I will need a "true" double at least for a year or so, and then maybe we can mostly use the P3.

Right now I don't ever move strollers though but I better get used to it. MBUS in the garage unfolded, P3 in my car, Zapp in DH's. Once in a blue moon we will shuffle for a specific outing but it's rare.
I will probably try and sell at least one. I think the Zapp would be the first to go, although DH wants to sell the MBUS. I am trying to talk him into keeping it for when DD outgrows strollers and we will then have it for DS.

Oh and I saw the BOB today and liked it. It didn't recline as much as I would have liked though. DH really liked it. I think it's more of a "guy" stroller too. Well I do have time, and I am actually leaning towards just holding out until after the baby is born as suggested here as a possibility.
I'll have to check out the RayShade on a MBUD too. I'd hate to rule that out just for the skimpy canopy since it's a great stroller (or at least my experience with the MBUS has been great). But I hate the cumbersome sun cover thing that goes with the MBUS.
And the indie twin does look cool, and it's the only one that accepts my carseat (not one of my criteria though)........
I thought I was supposed to be narrowing things down! ;)

bubbaray
01-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Ahhh, sounds like you are flying AC...

LOL. Nope, but the stroller tales of woe that I've heard have come from AC passengers.

bubbaray
01-12-2009, 01:32 AM
I will probably try and sell at least one. I think the Zapp would be the first to go, although DH wants to sell the MBUS. I am trying to talk him into keeping it for when DD outgrows strollers and we will then have it for DS.

Oh and I saw the BOB today and liked it. It didn't recline as much as I would have liked though. DH really liked it. I think it's more of a "guy" stroller too.

Personally, I would sell the Zapp. We use our MBUS a ton, but your kiddos are gonna be closer in age than mine (there was nearly 3yr between mine). Hard to say.

That is funny, my DH loves our BOB too. Its the only stroller he's picked out and bought. Personally, *I* don't like the recline of the new ones (mine's an '06 with no recline). I have a coworker who has one and even at about 8mo, her DD looked super uncomfortable in the BOB, whereas my newborn DD#2 looked all cozy in the MBUS.

mikeys_mom
01-12-2009, 11:13 AM
LOL. Nope, but the stroller tales of woe that I've heard have come from AC passengers.

Don't even get me started on AC's rules. A friend of mine was travelling alone with her DS with the infant seat and snap'n'go. Because the snap'n'go is not an "umbrella" fold, they made her check it with the luggage and she had to carry DS and her carry-on all the way from check-in to the gate. They would not offer her any assistance to get to the gate, other than sugesting that next time, she bring a stroller that meets their guidelines for a gate check.

The past few times that I have flown, the check-in agent has made me fold my Mac Quest to "prove" that it is an umbrella fold. I am usually flying Toronto to Montreal and Mtl AC agents are the absolute worst!

MamaBear
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Don't even get me started on AC's rules. A friend of mine was travelling alone with her DS with the infant seat and snap'n'go. Because the snap'n'go is not an "umbrella" fold, they made her check it with the luggage and she had to carry DS and her carry-on all the way from check-in to the gate. They would not offer her any assistance to get to the gate, other than sugesting that next time, she bring a stroller that meets their guidelines for a gate check.

The past few times that I have flown, the check-in agent has made me fold my Mac Quest to "prove" that it is an umbrella fold. I am usually flying Toronto to Montreal and Mtl AC agents are the absolute worst!

That absurd umbrella stroller policy of Air Canada's was rescinded. Of course, on their website, they still reserve the right to not take large strollers, but the sneaky policy has been replaced. Click here (http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/youngtravellers/infant-child.html) and scroll down to "Stroller Policy" for the latest. Greg at Daddytypes had a post (http://daddytypes.com/2007/12/12/quirky_air_canada_has_own_umbrella_stroller-only_gatecheck_policy_laws.php) about the original policy, if you want to see what it once was.

The stroller policy was the last straw in terms of deciding on an airline when I last flew with my son. WestJet it was. (And to Europe we fly Lufthansa, which has been wonderful.) I did fly AC in the fall - but that's because I was flying alone (luxury!) and on points (ie, cheap).

PS - sorry for the off-topic rant!

AnnieW625
01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I plan on only getting a double jogger to use in our neighborhood and for an occaisional 5K so I am looking at the BJCED, and the Bob Ironman (the Revolution looks like it's a larger than it needs to be; I think the Ironman is even a tad more compact width wise). For everything else I am looking at something that will take a buggy board, and we will be keeping our Maclaren Triumph in DH's car so it will always be available if we need it for places like theme parks. I'd rather have two separate strollers than have to deal with a double all of the time.

elektra
01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I plan on only getting a double jogger to use in our neighborhood and for an occaisional 5K so I am looking at the BJCED, and the Bob Ironman

From what I have seen so far, you can't really jog with the BJ City Series strollers with the 2 front wheels. But you definitely can do at least light jogging if not full out jogging with the Bob Revolution or the Ironman though.

AnnieW625
01-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I am a fast walker/light jogger (my current mile speed walking is about 12 minutes vs. my jogging speed of 11:30 minutes) so I think we'll stick to one of the Bobs. We'll be looking at those in a few months once we register!

maylips
01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
If anyone sees that Indie Twin in person, I'd be interested in hearing a review. They do look really nice!

KBecks
01-13-2009, 09:54 AM
The Dualie is wonderful but ENORMOUS. Seriously I don't think I could fit it in the back of the MINIVAN with the third row up.

I have a Schwinn Safari TT that is just fine, it's light and pushes well, and it was a bargain. The canopy is not great but I suppose you could add a custom shade to it. Protect a bub? I've looked at all the doubles I can find and this is still my favorite. The only downside is it is not for small babies. But.... I'm not getting out much with my 3 month old as it is, and by summer he will fit just fine.

elektra
01-13-2009, 02:09 PM
If anyone sees that Indie Twin in person, I'd be interested in hearing a review. They do look really nice!

I am going to go check one out this weekend hopefully.
The more I read about it, the more I think I will probably end up with a baby jogger or Bob though, but this looks pretty cool.
Cons as far as I can tell at this point:
-I have a feeling it won't be as "sturdy" (?) or well made as BJ or BOB for recline mechanism, handling, fold, etc.
-The seats do not have a separator between them
-Fold is complicated
-Doesn't lock when folded (although neither does the Bob. It has a strap though)
-No suspension
-The seatbacks are lower and the foot rests look high, so overall won't last as long (however different sources have different measurements so it's hard to really say for sure)

Pros
-Looks like an actual seat that sits more upright
-Cool fabrics!
-Unique
-narrow
-comes with extras (boot, car seat adaptor)
-good canopy

I also haven't heard it reviewed alot here on the BBB, which makes me a bit apprehensive about pulling the trigger on buying.

I am still going to try and check it out in person. I'll let you know, maylips!

arivecchi
01-13-2009, 02:17 PM
The Dualie is wonderful but ENORMOUS. Seriously I don't think I could fit it in the back of the MINIVAN with the third row up.

I have a Schwinn Safari TT that is just fine, it's light and pushes well, and it was a bargain. The canopy is not great but I suppose you could add a custom shade to it. Protect a bub? I've looked at all the doubles I can find and this is still my favorite. The only downside is it is not for small babies. But.... I'm not getting out much with my 3 month old as it is, and by summer he will fit just fine.

I just received my Instep Safari Double (same manufacturer as the Schwinn) in chocolate and blue and so far I am impressed. I was able to assemble it in about 5 minutes (and I am 37 weeks pregnant) and it looks great. It steers easily and fit through our townhouse's basement door (although we plan on keeping it in the garage). My 38 inch tall son fit in it just fine. It's not as roomy (lenghtwise) as our Valco Trimode Runabout (single), but cannot complain after getting it for $190 plus paying an additional $25 for the weathershield. It is lighter than our single Valco and easier to fold. I plan on using it with our Valco footmuffs in the winter. Great alternative for those who like the jogging stroller look but do not want to plunk down $500 to $700.

WatchingThemGrow
01-13-2009, 02:23 PM

The only van I've tried my BJCED in a borrowed Caravan,maybe a Grand, can't remember. It fit in there fine with the 3rd row up - and gobs of other luggage stowed around it and in the cabin. The way it folds and stands makes it so convenient for us. Folds much nicer than the BOB, IMO.

maylips
01-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I just received my Instep Safari Double (same manufacturer as the Schwinn) in chocolate and blue and so far I am impressed. I was able to assemble it in about 5 minutes (and I am 37 weeks pregnant) and it looks great. It steers easily and fit through our townhouse's basement door (although we plan on keeping it in the garage). My 38 inch tall son fit in it just fine. It's not as roomy (lenghtwise) as our Valco Trimode Runabout (single), but cannot complain after getting it for $190 plus paying an additional $25 for the weathershield. It is lighter than our single Valco and easier to fold. I plan on using it with our Valco footmuffs in the winter. Great alternative for those who like the jogging stroller look but do not want to plunk down $500 to $700.

That might be a good option for me. I meet some girlfriends to walk a few times a week and that will be most I can see me using a double. I just don't know how much to invest in a double since I live in such a rural area. I think I'd still take my BJCSS to the mall and let DD walk most of the time. The doubles are expensive! A IRL friend of mine told me she wished she had bought a great single stroller rather than having two cheap ones, a single and double. Only thing is, I'm OCD AND have become a little bit of stroller snob, so I like the cool (aka: expensive) ones. :)

arivecchi
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
That might be a good option for me. I meet some girlfriends to walk a few times a week and that will be most I can see me using a double. I just don't know how much to invest in a double since I live in such a rural area. I think I'd still take my BJCSS to the mall and let DD walk most of the time. The doubles are expensive! A IRL friend of mine told me she wished she had bought a great single stroller rather than having two cheap ones, a single and double. Only thing is, I'm OCD AND have become a little bit of stroller snob, so I like the cool (aka: expensive) ones. :)

LOL! I used to be a stroller snob too! However, I still hope to use my singles a lot too (Valco and Maclaren) and we already spent so much money on those. I figure I can use the Baby Bjorn or a Buggy Board with the singles and I don't know how much longer my older son will use strollers. He already prefers to walk everywhere, so DH made me see the light and told me we should not spend much on the double. By the way, my neighbor has the BJCED (which is the one I wanted) and hers does not look much different from the Instep in our garage (they're "parked" next to each other). The only significant difference is that her seats are a lot deeper and the canopies are larger. I'm sure the construction of the BJ is better also, but the Instep feels just fine (sturdy and easy to steer). Good luck with your decision!

swissair81
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I have an Indie Twin. I've been using it since the summer. Will be happy to answer any questions.

maylips
01-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I have an Indie Twin. I've been using it since the summer. Will be happy to answer any questions.

What's your review of it, Swissair?