PDA

View Full Version : Following up on the "Cheap Cribs" thread - which do you recommend?

Fun2Dream
01-10-2009, 11:57 PM
After reading the "Will I regret cheaping out on a crib" post, I'm interested in finding a good-quality, inexpensive crib. I've checked out Ikea, but it seems that they only have about 6 cribs, and I don't like any of them (I'd prefer dark wood, otherwise I'd like the Sniglar or Gulliver just fine).

Aside from Ikea, which inexpensive cribs do you love?

shaeeMom
01-13-2009, 07:10 PM
have a look at jc penney website,
i am using their sweetpea tahoe and i am a big fan.

it is cheaper than most of the cribs in the market.

WatchingThemGrow
01-13-2009, 07:26 PM
I would just be really careful about which companies are having recalls. Another one came out today for StorkCraft.

jenny
01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
What is your definition of cheap? under $300?

If so, we got the babi italia crib from BRU and if you snatch up one of their 20% off coupons, you can get a relatively "cheap" crib.

We love our babi italia crib. I would stay away from Jardine, Simplicity and Storkcraft b/c of the recalls.

C99
01-18-2009, 07:03 PM
It's contrary to what the Fields' book tells you, but I'd look on CL for a used crib. Make sure it doesn't have any recalls on it, first. All cribs made since the CPSC last changed their crib guidelines have a manufacture date on them. I sold our Sorelle Toscana crib (originally ~$500) on our local CL for $100.

hellokitty
01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Just FYI, dark wood = very visable scratches. I had light colored cribs for my boys and loved it. Made the mistake of getting my son a very nice big boy set that is dark cherry wood (ie: our entire house is dark cherry wood, the doors, molding, HW floor, etc.). Anyway, my lovely son decided to use his TEETH and make scrap marks from one end of his footboard to the other end, in one inch increments. Boy was I pissed, it looks horrid. I think that while dark stained furniture looks nice, my personal opinion after my experiences is that it is not child friendly. I can attest that our doors have very visible scratches thanks to my kids (and the prior owners large dog) and also our HW floors have taken a beating from the # of toys my kids have dropped on it. Plus, dust shows really easily. Luckily, I got my youngest son a natural colored (Ash) bdrm set, even if he scratches it, it isn't something that would be really obvious unless you were really looking for it. Our cribs were both natural colored and look brand new and it's also gender neutral. My wonderful son who left teeth marks on his bed also left teeth marks on our natural cherry master bed. Yeah, I don't know what it is with my kid and scrapping things with his teeth. At least I can re-oil my bed, which will hopefully cover up the scratches, but with how dark the finish is on my son's bed, my DH would have to strip and re-finish the entire piece to make it look nice again.

tmg424
02-23-2009, 02:21 AM
I have a 'cheap' crib. We bought the Graco Lauren from TRU. It was $150. It wasn't horrible to put together and so far so good. My baby hasn't exactly slept in it too much. Well yes he has, it holds him in his car seat at night. =-) I have the cherry one. Bonavita makes the crib (same as babi italia) I kept debating over which crib to get and I had it narrowed down to the cheap crib (Graco Lauren) or the expensive crib (Bonavita Lifestyle) and my in-laws told us they would buy us a crib so my hubby picked the cheap one and I'm happy. I believe Wal-mart and Target sell different colors as well. The matching furniture didn't get very good reviews though. A plus if you go through Wal-mart free site to store shipping!

This isn't the same color but the same crib
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3336878

Good Luck
Trish