PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Moms: Did you participate in a Poshtots Resale event?

Happy Mommy
01-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Just wondering if any of the Chicago Moms participated in any of the Poshtots Resale events.

I participated in the Harper College sale and they have not paid their 90+ consignors, nor have they returned merchandise that was left with them to consign. The money was "misappropriated" and it doesn't look good that any of us will ever get paid. They sent one email and then ceased communication.

If you have further questions, feel free to PM me or if appropriate--post here.

Thanks!

erikaw1971
01-19-2009, 12:55 PM
I participated in the Harper sale as well as 2 previous sales. I had no problem with the first two, but I have not been paid from the Harper sale. I didn't sell much, but that's not the issue. I have been busy because of the holidays and also wanted to give them some time to straighten things out, but enough is enough. I will be filing a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General this week and then see where we want to go from there.

There are others in the same situation. One has been paid that I know of because she put up a bigger stink. I'm going to be the next thorn in their side, I think, as my husband is a corporate litigator, so filing a small claims suit is fairly easy for me to do when he walks me through it. Filing will probably eat up what little I made at Harper, but at this point, I really don't care.

angry mom
01-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I also sold at that sale and have not been paid. It is crazy I have tried to file a police report and have been told it is a civil case and they will not help me. It was a good idea and I put alot of time and work into preparing for that sale and then to not be paid is just unacceptable. What actions if any have you taken please let me know.

Thanks

alora282003
01-29-2009, 11:57 PM
does anybody know their names.. is it janice and jim smith?

Happy Mommy
01-30-2009, 02:14 AM
Hi there,

If you would like to PM me and give me a few more details regarding your dealings with Tom and Janice Smith of Poshtots Resale I can point you in the right direction. This is a pretty serious case...that I can tell you. The consignors--and I was one-- are taking this very seriously.

I just don't feel comfortable discussing all of the details in this forum.

Thanks!

pinked1
01-30-2009, 10:47 AM
:hopmad:
Happy Mom, can you please pm me? I am new here, so I can't pm you. I was one of the consignors scammed as well. I know see their website is cancelled, and would love more info, esp if a group is trying to get together to do something!
Thanks.

liza25
02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Happy Mom,

Feel free to PM me. I too participated in the Harper sale and have not been paid. I am not owed much money, and they don’t have any items of mine for consignment. If you have information to share I would be happy to help.

Thanks.

jenp
02-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Hello. I am unable to pm you because I am new to this board. I also was a reseller at the Harper College sale. Just like everyone else, I have not received my payment or my items that were to be consigned at the store. I have sent SEVERAL emails all with no response. I am hoping that someone here has some current information on the situation. Thanks for any info that anyone can provide.

Happy Mommy
02-06-2009, 04:59 PM
JenP,

I think you can hit the email link if you would like to contact me. Hope to hear from you! :)

TCIY
02-09-2009, 01:06 AM
I also participated in the October Sale and I am owed a fair bit of money. I would like to participate in any formal action that is being pursued.

MacMomma
02-19-2009, 03:43 PM
I also participated in the October consignment sale along with two of my friends. Between the three of us, we are owed approximately $1600. I have spoken to my friends and we are all extremely interested in any action being taken. Please advise as to what we need to do next or what information you need from us. Thanks for getting this going.

saturn810
02-19-2009, 08:30 PM
I also consigned at the sale and in fact participated in their May sale as a volunteer, but did not consign. Although I didn't make that much money, I still want my money and my things back that were to be consigned. I think we should all get together and try to do something about this. I think we will be a stronger voice if we work together. I haven't made any police report, but I plan to file a consumer complaint with the attorney general.

I have copies of most pages of their website if anyone wants copies for records.

When I registered, I checked the box where people can email me. Please email me if you are interested in working together on resolving this issue!

Thanks
Rebekah

mommmyof2
03-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I am a victim too... We have to all get together on this.
Please email me, I have some information that could help.

THANKS!

Livsmom
03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I feel so bad for all of you. Not sure if it would help, but I bought at the October Harper College sale. I still have both receipts, detailed receipt of the items and charge card slip. I would be glad to send copies if it would help anyone with their cases.

One thought I had is they charged sales tax on everything. I am thinking that if they didn't pay the consignors; they probably didn't pay the sales tax either. May get the state to go after them on unpaid sales taxes.

pspizz
04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I also never received my payouts, or all of my items back. The email address that I was able to reach the Smiths at is now defunct. Does anyone have any information on this? Who can I can contact to pursue the matter? Please email any info, thanks!

Twins07
04-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Does anyone know where this stands as of April 10? My phone calls and emails have not worked either. Thanks.

Happy Mommy
04-22-2009, 01:53 AM
If you can PM me more details about your involvement with the Smith's I can attempt to help you. There is a process of complaints and legal action that you may choose to pursue. Don't give up. This is exactly, and in fact admittedly, what the Smith's are hoping for. If you are willing to put forth some effort, you may find justice against the fraud that Tom and Janice Smith committed.

clc053103
04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Just out of curiousity, why is every poster on this (besides Happy Mommy) a newbie? Are people finding this site from a google search for the Harper sale?

Happy Mommy
04-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I think, sadly enough, that so many consignors are completely in the dark about what to do and the Internet is the only search option they have (aside from word of mouth). These people (Tom and Janice Smith of Wauconda, Illinois) robbed 88 consignors of their contracted profits and property. It is unbelievable what they have done. They admittedly took the consignors' profits and used the money for their own personal needs. Absolutely criminal and seemingly deliberate.

missym
04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Just out of curiousity, why is every poster on this (besides Happy Mommy) a newbie? Are people finding this site from a google search for the Harper sale?

We are the fourth listing to come up if you Google "Poshtots Resale."

mom2binsd
04-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Have the folks involved contacted the local news media, specifically a local tv station, often they will do a piece on this and it will help raise the profile of the investigation, assist in getting the states attorney or whoever's job it is to prosecute these people. I feel so bad for everyone and it doesn't help legitimate consignment sales at all.

clc053103
04-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I am starting to freak about a sale I did in Phila. It was last month, there were no contracts, and their portion of the proceeds were to go to a local home for abused women and children. Since then, I emailed last week with no response, and today, left a voicemail on her cell with no return call.

Happy Mommy
04-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately, this sounds very familiar to how the Poshtots scandal started. Mass emails sent out to individuals who thought they were receiving one-to-one correspondence. Then an email saying they (The Smith's) were so sorry and that they would stay in touch with everyone and pay the consignors their money. Then...NOTHING. Very calculated to keep people off their back while they shut their business, email, phone, etc. down to nothing.

Media has been contacted, but it's just a matter of getting them to see the severity of what the Smith's did. I think it seems to most that this is just an issue of a few hundred dollars here, a few hundred dollars there. But this really involved THOUSANDS of dollars. 88 consignors, vendors, buyers paying admission, consignor participation fees...well, you do the math.

And yes, I agree that what Tom and Janice Smith did could easily make others suspect of legitimate consignor sales. Yet another unjust act in their name...

pspizz
04-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Happy Mommy-

I tried to PM you, but I apparently don't have enough posts to do so. I was one of the consignors who didn't receive their payout, and the Smith's still have quite a bit of my items. I was resigned to letting it go, but the more I think about it, the more ticked off I get! Is there anyway you can contact me? I'd like to pursue legal action, but don't know where to start. Thanks!

clc053103
04-23-2009, 05:14 PM
I am starting to freak about a sale I did in Phila. It was last month, there were no contracts, and their portion of the proceeds were to go to a local home for abused women and children. Since then, I emailed last week with no response, and today, left a voicemail on her cell with no return call.

Happy to say that i did get a callback from the Phila sale- she has just been busy, working her way through the alphabet and I am towards the end. For the PP who was interested in the sale, she said they are planning to do it quarterly as the response was so fantastic.

Hope the Chicago people get justice- seriously, a terrible story.

jillloya
05-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I am very upset by this as well. My sister and myself participated in 2 resales and never got paid also never had our stuff returned. I cant believe that they could rip off so many people like that. If there is anyone that is taking legal action against them we would also like to include ourselves in the suit. Thanks. Please let us know if their is anything else that we can be a part of to get compensation for our stuff. Has anyone gone to see them at their house? Does anyone know if they still have our stuff that they kept? Any information will be helpful.

beachgirl
05-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately, this sounds very familiar to how the Poshtots scandal started. Mass emails sent out to individuals who thought they were receiving one-to-one correspondence. Then an email saying they (The Smith's) were so sorry and that they would stay in touch with everyone and pay the consignors their money. Then...NOTHING. Very calculated to keep people off their back while they shut their business, email, phone, etc. down to nothing.

Media has been contacted, but it's just a matter of getting them to see the severity of what the Smith's did. I think it seems to most that this is just an issue of a few hundred dollars here, a few hundred dollars there. But this really involved THOUSANDS of dollars. 88 consignors, vendors, buyers paying admission, consignor participation fees...well, you do the math.

And yes, I agree that what Tom and Janice Smith did could easily make others suspect of legitimate consignor sales. Yet another unjust act in their name...

I had nearly forgotten about this--I consigned with them 2x at Libertyville and once at Harper College. I was cleaning out my sons' closets and remembered I STILL haven't been paid so I Googled them after their website was gone. I have their home address--if, in fact they are still there, and cell number but no other contact info. I tried to contact them over the winter but no luck.

I would be interested in further action which we can take, not because they owe me such a large amount --maybe $150ish. but more as a matter of principle. What they did was very wrong, they need to be accountable. They hurt individuals in their own community who trusted them. I would like to believe they may not have been planning a criminal act but instead, are incompetent as business people.

jillloya
06-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know if there is going to be a class action suit against them or not? My sister and myself are interested in joining if there is, please let us know.

Thanks

terp
06-26-2009, 09:06 PM
My wife was also taken by these thieves. Does anyone have additional information regarding their whereabouts?

Happy Mommy
06-27-2009, 12:18 AM
They were taken to small claims court and have been found guilty by the Cook County Court. This is what you need to do at this point:

Absolutely-- contact the Illinois Attorney General to report your complaint. THIS IS VITAL! And you need to do this ASAP. All documents that you might need can be obtained online.

You can also try to link up with others from this site, or others that you know to file a civil case against the Smiths. This can also be done individually, but sharing the filing costs is helpful.

Like I have said time and time again, they have no remorse for what they have done. This is clearly indicated by their actions with the Posh Tots event as well as other questionable practices that they have engaged in over the years.

:hopmad:

alora282003
09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
they have moved, their house was foreclosed on and she has over 10k worth of my brand new with tags items.. Thats just great!!

susan F
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
I was also a participant in the resale event and never received a return, $, or as much as a sorry sob-story or apology from these two con-artists. I see so many similar posts, and I am very behind on any news......did anything ever come of this for any of you? My friend works with school registration in the suburbs and I'm sure I can access their info., if anyone wants or needs it?
Hope this helps someone, but I'm sure all things are LONG GONE----or being "gently used" by her own brood. Oh well. Good luck ladies!:cheerleader1:

TwinFoxes
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Because of the age of this thread it will be locked.