PDA

View Full Version : Gymboree classes: do you like them?

twobabes
01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
And do you go to the open gym if/when they have it? What ages do you think are best for the open gym time?

mom2binsd
01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
We went when we lived in Utah, it was perfect for DD age 1 1/2-2 1/2, we went on Sat mornings as I worked and DH was also able to participate, due to work schedules we never went to open times, but I'd heard they were very busy.

It was her first time in a semi-structured setting and she loved it, esp the closing time with the parachute and bubbles, we sang a lot of the songs long after the classes ended. I thought the class was developmentally appropriate and the instructors we had were very good, of course that will vary for each location. Our was very clean and all of the equipment was in excellent shape.

deannanb
01-11-2009, 11:07 AM
We never went to the open gym times - but the "teachers" said they were always busy - basically the moms were there but didn't pay much attention to the kids - so the older kids were running all over the little ones

BabyMine
01-11-2009, 11:22 AM
We loved the classes. I took DS1 for art during the week and my DH to DS1 to the gym class on Saturdays. It was their bonding time. We started at 1.5 and stoped at almost 3. The open gyms were difficult. It was hit or miss if they were busy but all the parents kept and eye on their children. We didn't go to many open gyms though.

happymomma
01-11-2009, 11:41 AM
We took a class with something similar to Gymboree. It was great for DD and we loved it. We went to the open gym a lot b/c it was winter and the kids loved it. It was a great way to burn off energy.

belovedgandp
01-11-2009, 01:16 PM
My older DS (now almost 5) was in Gymboree classes from 6 months to 3 1/2. We enjoyed the classes. The space is less than two miles from our house and we were there all the time.

My younger son (19 months now) has been going to a play class for 5 months now.

The play classes have a great premise. The teacher can make or break a play class. With older DS we found a couple of favorite teachers and were loyal to them. Our schedule is a little busier now and the only time that fits is in the evening. It's a different feel for a play class at night versus during the day, but we're still enjoying it.

The open plays depend on the facility. We went all the time with our older son and some now. It varies week to week how many people are there and how many kids. As younger kids mine both love watching the craziness of the older ones. Most kids are 1-2 1/2. Being mobile is necessary.

Gymboree advertises itself until age 5, but the more practical age cutoff is 3 1/2 or so. The class we had my older son in was fantastic for him until 3 1/2, but it was very pre-school like, so we stopped when he started school.

Our facility just had extended open plays over Christmas and New Year's. Usually only enrolled kids can play, but they let families pay a per child fee for kids up to 6 to play. That did not work.

fivi2
01-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I took my twins from about 10 months until they were almost 2. I loved it for that age, especially with two of them (enclosed and safe). We went to class and to open gym every week. Open gym was almost never crowded at my location, and I got to know all the parents, so never had a problem with supervision. There were almost never any kids over age 3 (or so).

The classes really depend on the teacher as pp said. We quit once I was able to do more stuff with the girls (park, museum, etc) but I loved it for that time. I made many friends there and we still see some of them regularly.

ahrimie
01-11-2009, 03:44 PM
I agree, I hear the teachers make the biggest difference. I took my then 6 month old with a friend and she absolutely LOVED it. I'm also debating on taking her to one near my house.

Davids-Coco
01-11-2009, 04:38 PM
We have been attending for a year and a half ish. DS is 2.5. It has been great. Our parents are involved. I do believe that a lot depends on both the policies of the particular operators (as it is a franchise) and the teacher. We have had a number of different teachers, but only one ended up being a bad fit for us... and we moved to another class.

I'd try it... the worst that can happen is that you don't like it.

shawnandangel
01-11-2009, 08:32 PM
How expensive are the classes? Does it vary b/c it is a franchise? I'd like to do this w/ my dd but I'm a little anxious about price since the Gymboree is in the very well to do neighborhood.

Wife_and_mommy
01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
How expensive are the classes? Does it vary b/c it is a franchise? I'd like to do this w/ my dd but I'm a little anxious about price since the Gymboree is in the very well to do neighborhood.

Wanted to suggest library story times since you brought up $. :) It's free and fun for you and baby. It's once/week here but I actually went to several different libraries for a while so did them a few times a week.

TraciG
01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Funny I've been thining about Gymboree for my almost 11 month old, maybe in a couple of month's. My DD went when she was older & loved it .

shawnandangel
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Wanted to suggest library story times since you brought up $. :) It's free and fun for you and baby. It's once/week here but I actually went to several different libraries for a while so did them a few times a week.

I've looked into library story times. There is a specific one for parents and babies the 1st Monday and Wednesday of every month. Unfortunately these are the days I am in school. :(

Good news is a new store opened up locally (like 5 minutes from my house) and they do storytime every day at 3:30 so I may do this on Monday's when I pick up DD from MIL's house

I am going to call the Gymboree store tomorrow and see what days their classes are on. I need a Thursday or Friday!

Jenny_A
01-11-2009, 10:41 PM
DD is 3 and we did Gymboree classes last summer. DD loved them and I enjoyed seeing her have so much fun. I'm regretting the decision now and here's why... My Gymboree advocated not "forcing" your child to participate if they didn't wanted to. If the teacher was talking or doing a focused activity, it was okay for kids to be running around the play area playing, which DD did most of the time. I tried to encourage her to join in but she tended to do her own thing.

When she started preschool this year we've had a huge problem with just this. When it's circle time, DD wants to run around and do her own thing. Of course, some of this is "just her" but I have to think that allowing her to get away with that at Gymboree sort of hurt her in the long run.

So, we won't be doing Gymboree again, nor will I with #2.

Just my 2 cents,

Jenny

Davids-Coco
01-12-2009, 01:17 AM
You can also check out their schedules at gymboreeclasses.com. It may also have the pricing for your particular one.

awoodm
01-12-2009, 01:50 AM
We enjoyed our Gymboree class and DS1 did have fun, but I tend to agree with the above PP that talked about not 'forcing' the kids to participate. The playtime is organized, but kids are allowed to wander off and do as they please. I think that is great during free play, but was looking for a little more structure as DS got older. My DS is famous for his selective hearing and tends to become easily distracted so he spent a lot of time doing his own thing. I love his independence and all, but wanted to get my $$ worth!! We stopped and got him involved in our local indoor soccer program which he loves and the coaches really encourage the children to *focus* and limit the distractions. I definitly think that the Gymbo classes are much better for the younger crowd, and wouldn't keep them in much past 3. Oh and as far as the open gyms go, I think it just depends on your area- ours was never too crowded.

HTH

Anna

mdb78
01-12-2009, 11:13 AM
I've been taking dd to Gymboree classes since she was 14 months (she's 20 months now). We love it! Reason why we enrolled her was because we had moved from across the country and she is no longer in daycare. We wanted to keep her having interaction with other kids. We do take dd to open gym sometimes. The ones in the late afternoon/ early evening (6:15pm) are crowded since parents take them after work. I noticed that the late open gyms is mostly older kids so most of the time I'm making sure none of them run her over. DH prefers open gym to class. He likes the teacher, but he can't take too much of her high pitch enthusiastic voice. lol...

As far as $$, in my gymboree, they lower the price every three months. It started at $75 and I think the lowest it can get to is $45 or $55, something like that.

Since dd usually sees her cousin and our friend's son on the weekends, we enrolled her on wednesdays...

DietCokeLover
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
We have not tried Gymboree classes, but I am considering it. We did do two semesters of Kindermusik and DD loved it! We started when she was 14 mos. It was great for putting some semi structured activity in her life as well as good time for us together.