PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag help

wifecat
01-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm due in April and can't seem to pick a diaper bag, mostly because I can't figure out what size I'll really need.

I plan to breastfeed exclusively and use cloth diapers. We don't take long trips, and most of the time when we're out we'll be in walking distance of home. We walk most places in the city, so I don't want it to be a super heavy bag, either.

I got the Skip Hop Dash but I don't really like the color and am not sure it's big enough (but maybe it is), and then I got the Fanci Free convertible bag and I think it's too boxy. Any recs?

ahrimie
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
I have the Skip Hop Dash and I think it's perfect for short trips. It's a good size for any stroller too. If you're breastfeeding, you don't need anything but a burp cloth and a nursing shawl. For longer outings, I use a really big tote instead.

arivecchi
01-11-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't have a Skip Hop, but people seem to really like them. When I had DS1 we bought a Kate Spade diaper bag (pretty but useless), a Diaper Dude for my DH and a Baby Sherpa backpack for traveling and longer daytrips. We use the Diaper Dude the most when out and about in the city. It's a messenger type bag that is easy to carry and has lots of pockets (including a readily accesible one for cell phones). It's a great bag and not pricey. The Baby Sherpa is awesome, but bigger. Sounds like the Skip Hop or the Diaper Dude might be more suited for your needs.

http://www.diapers.com/Product/SearchResults.aspx?FreeText=diaper%20dude&QueryFrom=Search

pastrygirl
01-11-2009, 09:13 PM
I love JuJuBe (http://www.ju-ju-be.com/) diaper bags and wish I had discovered them when I was pregnant, instead of buying other diaper bags that I would eventually toss aside. If you have a Nordstrom nearby, you can check them out in person. I find their quality above and beyond other brands. They are machine-washable, too! No velcro, which is a must for newborns.

For the newborn stage, the Be All or Packabe are a good size. The Be Quicks are awesome for organization, or for keeping extra supplies in the car. :)

ETA: I used a Overland Equipment Noho for the newborn stage. It's not a diaper bag, but it worked great and is quite a bit lighter than JJB bags. It has lots of pockets for organization. But it's not "pretty." I use it for non-diaper-bag things now, and still love it! I just wanted to switch to something cuter and more diaper-bag-ish, which is why I switched to JJB.

MamaKath
01-11-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't have a Skip Hop, but people seem to really like them. When I had DS1 we bought a Kate Spade diaper bag (pretty but useless), a Diaper Dude for my DH and a Baby Sherpa backpack for traveling and longer daytrips. We use the Diaper Dude the most when out and about in the city. It's a messenger type bag that is easy to carry and has lots of pockets (including a readily accesible one for cell phones). It's a great bag and not pricey. The Baby Sherpa is awesome, but bigger. Sounds like the Skip Hop or the Diaper Dude might be more suited for your needs.

http://www.diapers.com/Product/SearchResults.aspx?FreeText=diaper%20dude&QueryFrom=Search

Saw someone with the Diaper Dude over the weekend, it is a really nice bag! I have the Baby Sherpa and it is big. Really comfy to wear though! They make a smaller one, the Shorthaul. It is also great! Even though you won't need the cooler part in the beginning you can use that for the change of clothes, extra blanket, etc.

You could also take a look at the LL Bean Diaper bag. Very well organized and practical.

I recently got the Fanci-Free convertible bag as a gift for someone. I was surprised by how large it is, but also how square it is. Not sure if I like it, hopefully she does though. It will hold a lot, is comfortable on (as a shoulder, messenger or backpack), well organized and pretty light for a bigger backpack.

inmypjs
01-12-2009, 12:08 AM
I have had almost all of the diaper bags mentioned at some point - yes I am a junkie! So I will share my thoughts...

JuJuBe bags are pretty and thoughtfully designed, but they are darn heavy. As in heavy when not even packed up. That was a deal breaker for me, but it really depends on how important that criteria is to you.

Skip Hop bags are great - very functional, and if there is a man in your life they usually don't mind carrying them. I agree that the Dash would be a good size for you for your short trips. They are also machine washable. They come in lots of colors - maybe you could trade for one you like? If you are looking for a larger bag, the Duo Double is nice.

The Fanci Free bags are just okay IMO. Honestly they are so big and boxy I think they'd be better overnight bags. They are super lightweight though. I don't think their design is as functional as some of the other brands.

You might also look at the OiOi hobo. Stylish and lightweight! Holds about what a Dash would if not more.

Lastly, you might think about Lexie Barnes. She has moved away from diaper bags recently but mamabargains.com has recently featured the Darling (medium zip top) and the Superstar (large messenger) for incredible prices. If you were interested you could probably email them and see if they had some left.

One last feature to pay attention to is stroller straps. You mentioned trips close to your house - I am assuming you will be using a stroller sometimes. All of the bags I've mentioned have them, but if you look at others you'll want to look for them.

Good luck and HTH!