PDA

View Full Version : Back to the rat race?!

bethie_73
01-11-2009, 11:02 PM
With layoffs pending at my work, I decided to see what is out there. Technically we could live off of DH's salary, but we could not get ahead, or pay off his student loans. I don't know if writing this will help me sort my thoughts but here goes.

I did not plan on going back to management until DS was in school (2 more years). My job right now is good but not that challenging (I've been doing it for 7 years). Going to a Director (or Assistant Director) position will be challenging. If I choose another non-management job, it will be a lateral move, and I would work nights... as in 6pm to 2am.

Management is a step up from where I am now, and hopefully would include a raise to accompany that. That would mean I could find really good care for DS right? Getting back into the rat race, I'm not sure I'm ready. I am qualified, but I don't know if I want to do this stuff anymore, maybe I'll change my mind when I get into it. And this way I can get back in without getting a Masters Degree.

A night job, well I wouldn't get much sleep, but I would still be able to be the primary care giver to DS. And I could learn some more skill sets in addition to what I do now. DH thinks we will fight though... alot, because I will not get any sleep.

happymomma
01-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Wow, that is such a hard decision. I don't have any advice but wanted to give you a :hug: for the hard decision. I don't think I would be able to do a night shift. I need my sleep.

cvanbrunt
01-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I have just a second to respond, but I'd go the management route if possible. You were planning to do it anyway. The idea of not paying off student loans or getting ahead would scare me in these times. We paid off all our loans a couple of years ago and it was such a relief. A lateral move would have to have really big payoffs to make sense when you could move up (without more school!). Skills are nice but the idea of night shift doesn't seem like a good trade. If you are exhausted, you will quickly become unhappy. But, that's just my opinion. I don't know what you do for a living.