PDA

View Full Version : Tripp Trapp Questions (age and cushion)

hillview
01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I saw the tripp trapp this weekend and love it for BOTH DSs (I was originally thinking just for DS #2).

1) DS #1 is 3.5 and large for his age but still has to sit on his knees for dinner (he is in our regular dining chair). Is 3.5 too old to be getting a tripp trapp?

2) Do I need the cushions (for either DS)?

TIA!
/hillary

Neatfreak
01-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I am planning on ordering one next month for my DD2. One of my friends from Holland has Tripp Trapps for both of her daughters (they're 5 and 2.5 years), and I have total envy. Her five year old is very comfortable in it, so I don't think that a 3.5 year old would be too old. Neither of her Tripp Trapps have the cushion, and I'm on the fence about ordering one. None of the other chairs that we sit on at the dinner table have them, so I don't know if there is any reason to get one for the Tripp Trapp.

hillview
01-12-2009, 09:39 AM
None of the other chairs that we sit on at the dinner table have them, so I don't know if there is any reason to get one for the Tripp Trapp.

Ok that is what I was thinking too!!
/hillary

Melaine
01-12-2009, 09:47 AM
My girls are 2.5 and I still am totally envious of the TTs....I think I may save the rest of their Christmas money and add our spring yard sale money to it to buy them. But, I think I will probably get the hipposmiles to save some cash. Or maybe even the Keekaroos....but gotta get more cash first either way. If I could just quit buying OTHER stuff I could've bought 20 TTs by now....I don't think it's too late for either of your DC though.

brittone2
01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
My DS is almost 5 and still uses his KZ regularly. We are and plan to continue homeschooling, so it is particularly important to me that he has a nice ergonomic seat for handwriting, etc. Of course, most of the time he ends up writing while he's on the floor, in his room, etc. but it is nice to have a solid spot for him to be able to use as needed. DD hijacks his chair sometimes (she just turned 2). DS sometimes likes to eat dinner on a regular chair next to daddy, but he'll usually eat breakfast and lunch in the KZ.

DD has a Tipp Topp (somewhat similar chair by Kettler). I don't like it as much. I find the finish harder to clean, and I think we all prefer the KZ. However, the Tipp Topp is still very usable.

I don't think 3.5 is too old, but it depends on how your family will use them. The other bright side is resale is usually quite good.

We never had a cushion for our KZ and never missed it.

caleymama
01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
We have 2 KZs and both girls (4 and 6) still use them every day for meals, school work, or other activities at the table. I have no plans to discontinue using them anytime soon. Our (family heirloom farmhouse table) has a big lip around the underside, so something like a cooshie booster doesn't work b/c it's too tall on the seat. Neither did the FP booster that we used as a high chair - it didn't fit under the table so DD couldn't be pushed all the way in. For us the KZs have been *perfect* and very worthwhile investments.

When we purchased DD1's KZ when she was about 15 months old it came with a cushion as a bonus, so hers has always had a cushion. I did not initially get a cushion for DD2's seat but found one on sale a year or two later so now they both have cushions. IMO you definitely don't need a cushion - I only got one for DD2 since it bugged me to have one on one chair but not the other and b/c I found it at a great price. As a matter of fact, when DDs were younger and messier I did not use the cushions b/c they got gross fast and I felt like I was always washing them. Much easier to just wipe off the seat.

ahrimie
01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I saw the tripp trapp this weekend and love it for BOTH DSs (I was originally thinking just for DS #2).

1) DS #1 is 3.5 and large for his age but still has to sit on his knees for dinner (he is in our regular dining chair). Is 3.5 too old to be getting a tripp trapp?

2) Do I need the cushions (for either DS)?

TIA!
/hillary

Definitely not too old. My friend has two and uses it for her Kindergartner and 1st grader.

I have a cushion but don't use it anymore. I don't find that DD is uncomfortable (8 months) and we got food on it every meal. I took it off and she doesn't seem to miss it!