PDA

View Full Version : Hypoallergenic formula to milk

ray7694
01-12-2009, 09:16 AM
My dd is 11 months old and I gave her 3 ounces milk to 4 ounces formula. She has had 4 bottles this way. How soon do I increase the amount and how soon will she react is it isn't going well.

She never could take regular formula so I am worried. I want to be off this expensive stuff.

LarsMal
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
If she has a true milk protein allergy, you would have known right away!

I would probably hold off on going to all milk until you have her 1 year ped appointment, just continue doing what you're doing. You could slowly increase the milk:formula ratio over the next couple weeks and see how she does.

GL!!

icunurse
01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
DD was diagnosed with a "very slight" milk protein intolerance a few months after birth. We tried it all until we ended up at Alimentum (next step would have been prescription). Shortly after she turned 1, we did the half formula/half milk and she did just fine. So the ped said to try full milk after about a month. She did okay, but tended to have looser stools (not true diarrhea, but close), especially if she had other dairy -cheese, yogurt, etc- during the day. We went back to half/half and she did fine again. She had seen a GI doc early on and the ped called him to ask what to do and he said soy. So, she's on soy milk and doing great. Not sure what the plan is for the future, as far as trying full milk again or whatever. I know kids typically grow out of it, many by 1 year and almost all by 3 years, so we'll see, I guess.

I would do the amounts however your doc said, but I definitely wouldn't rush it (our ped had us increase every 5 days). By 1, kids aren't drinking tons of formula anyway, so it didn't cost nearly as much as even a few months earlier. Can your ped office give you samples? We used Nutramigen samples (our ped always had tons of them) because if they can't tolerate a different formula, they aren't going to tolerate full milk.