PDA

View Full Version : Cloth alternative to Pull-ups?

o_mom
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Update in post #12 :)

-------------

Anyone have ones they like for overnight?

I'm getting really tired of spending money on pull-ups, not to mention the waste. We are back on the CD wagon with DS3 :cheerleader1: so I am washing routinely and wouldn't be a big deal to throw a couple pairs of trainers in. DS1 is 5.5, 40 lbs, 41", DS2 is 3.5, 35 lbs, 38" (think small for age). These would be for overnight - most times they are anywhere from just wet to completely soaked, I guess I could weigh them and see how much is in them in the morning. About once a month one of them may make it through dry, so we can't even reuse Pullups to save.

I was looking at Motherease Bedwetter Pants and Nikky All-Night, but there are few reviews and they are mixed. I need something they can put on themselves and not too poofy.

nupe
01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm curious too! I would love to find a cloth pullup equivalent. DS is 4 and sometimes goes weeks w/o an accident, but sometimes will have accidents a few days in a row.

o_mom
01-14-2009, 08:53 AM
:BUMP:

Anyone?

Bueller?

tylersmama
01-16-2009, 01:28 AM
My friend used the Imse Vimse trainers and really liked them, and she wasn't even a CDer! We, unfortunately, have not had the need for such a thing yet... :rolleyes:

american_mama
01-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I have no experience with cloth pull-ups, but I know julesplus3 here liked Mother of Eden Ovvernight Undies for an older child. I believe they are one of the few brands that have big sizes (like size 7 and up) in cloth pull-ups. MOE also makes a trainer, I think, which gets less positive reviews.

Happy Heiny and Snap-EZ also make them, I think I hear more good about Snap EZ.

Do a serach here for cloth pull ups and possibly on DS in the Diaper Q and A forum, since it has been discussed both places.

o_mom
01-17-2009, 08:10 PM
I did look at the MOE and they are on my list. I really didn't want a stuffable, which it looks like the Snap-EZ overnights are (Nap-EZ?).

I did a search, but most of it was people asking and very few people actually using them. Or, they were very mixed reviews. I'm trying to sell DH on getting a couple Nikkys since the one store will let you return one used pair, but he is freaking over the price, lol. I keep telling him that we are spending $300/yr on pullups and there is no end in sight.

nupe
01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
O Mom: Please post what you end up doing. I know absolutely nothing about CD and am tired of buying pullups. I thought we were done 6 months ago, when DS would go weeks w/o an accident. Now we have more frequent accidents. Did you get the Nikky?

o_mom
01-27-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm still trying to convince DH. <insert big eyeroll here> I think I'm going to go ahead and try the Nikkys - I have some PP that should cover it. ;) I'll post when I get them.

Joolsplus2
01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Tell us how they work :D.

Snap-EZ AIO's are are AIO's... NAP-EZ are the stuffables... we've been using them but Leah is like miraculously dry most nights :D (Happy Heinys worked fine for Bitsy, but were super mega poufy....she liked them because they were PINK, of course... but they didn't snap and were hard to stuff...)

nicanddrew
01-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Curious what you decide. We never found anything great--the happy heineys trainer left horrible red marks on DS's thighs, the Imse Vimse trainers were good for daytime but soaked through at night as did the kushies ones. We alternated between a pocket diaper and pullups.

american_mama
01-29-2009, 02:53 AM
Just heard good things about Cuddlebugs pull-ups on Diaperswappers. I don't know if the person used them at night. They look really cute on the website, like underwear. And they come in nice prints for boys and girls.

Julie, didn't you used a Fuzzibunz product for Bitsy? I remember you saying it was working, but maybe that was just the initial impression. Glad to know Leah is mostly dry - sounds like your ECing and Cding worked well.

o_mom
02-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Here's my update!

DS1 is right about 40 lbs, 5.5 yo and wears a 4/5T Pullup (brand name) and 4T pants. DS2 is about 35 lbs, 3.5 yo and wears a 3/4T Pullup and 3T pants.

I ordered two pair of the size 4/5 Nikky All Night Pants (http://www.babyworks.com/catalog/product.asp?pf_id=1620&dept_id=16) from Babyworks since they will let you return one used pair if it doesn't work out. With shipping it worked out to about $26/each, but they offer discounts on 3+ pairs and shipping works out better with a larger order. Babyworks shipped super fast, the only disappointment was that they didn't take PP. (ETA: they also threw in a sample diaper doubler at no charge, but I was kind of puzzled since it really didn't go with what I ordered... I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it as we really don't use them)

I figured the 4/5 size would fit one of them and it worked best on DS1. It was a bit large on DS2 and would probably work just be a bit poofy. They are well made with a soft PUL outer and nice wide elastic on the legs and waist. The tag is in the front, which confuses DS1 a bit. They have a mesh liner that seems to keep him dry - he is not waking up from being wet (not sure if that is good or bad, lol). They are pretty trim. He wore them under some Old Navy stretch PJs last night with no problem getting the pants over them. We size up on those kind of PJs usually so they were 5T.

Since we only tried one pair so far, we have used them only 4 times in two weeks with the wear-wash cycle time. The first time I used them straight out of the package without washing and it did wick a bit - I know, I know, always wash first but I was excited, lol. Since being washed and dried they have worked just fine. We also took his sippy cup away at the same time, so that has cut down the night volume. He normally has a fairly wet pullup in the morning, but not to the point of leaking.

They do take longer to dry. We have mainly prefolds and fitteds with covers and at the end of the dry cycle the All Night Pants are still damp. After I take them out of the dryer I have been just pulling the inner part away from the PUL cover to circulate air and kind of standing them up on the drying rack to finish, which they usually are in 8 hours or so.

I'm going to go ahead and put the second pair in circulation and try them for a few more weeks before ordering more. If you ordered three pair, it would be $66 plus shipping. A box of pullups at Sams in 4/5T is $28.88 for 66, so I figure it would take about 4 months of use to break even (longer if you used generics, but we had really bad luck with generic pullups, contrary to our experience with diapers). We are at 2.5 years since he potty trained and we started using pullups at night, so it would have been well worth it.

maestramommy
02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I have a friend who was already using Fuzzibunz with her kid, so she presnapped them, and told her it was underwear. Apparently she could pull them up and down like underwear.

I bought several pairs of Gerber training underwear, and some plastic pants from the ECstore online. They hold accidents very well (as I found this morning! grrrr). If you don't mind pulling two sets of pants up and down they work very well. Only for daytime though. For naps and nighttime I got some Bum Genius pockets and I told Dora they were her underwear diapers. We are SO close to 100% CDing now:boogie: Dealing with CD and sposies is a pain!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Bumkins makes some. A friend loves them. I bought a few pairs ahead for DD, haven't used them yet, though.

nupe
02-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info!

So I ordered the Nikky All-Night for DS. DH said he looks like a sumo wrestler. He's 36 lb so the size 4/5 is a little big on him but the pajamas are fitted and hold it up pretty well. So far he's been dry in them!