PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren XLR vs. Peg Perego P3 or Uno....

AnnieW625
01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
While at the baby store over the weekend I have to say I was mildly suprised with the newer P3s, and Uno strollers I saw. I had an older Pliko with DD and I hated the stroller with a passion. It didn't have an adaptable car seat bar option for Graco and I felt the straps were huge for a newborn, plus the prior owners hadn't oiled it correctly and it wouldn't collapse correctly. The only plus was that it steered like a dream! So as soon as DD turned 3 mos. I got a Maclaren Triumph. I love that stroller and it's been our main stroller ever since. DD still loves it.

Now I love the size of the Mac and I think I'd buy a Maclaren XLR now because it has the carseat adapter, and I know it will be a good stroller for both kids for the years to come. DH wants to still keep the older Triumph in his car which is fine with me.

So, if anyone has had experience with both the XLR/XT, and the P3 or the Uno (or an older Venezia) please let me know what you think. I think I might go for the Uno because of the reversable handlebars, and it's a tad more plush. I did see a P3 Switch, but that didn't do anything for me. For almost the same price or a bit more for a 09 Uno I think I might get a bit more bang for my buck with the Peg. I plan on doing some Ebay bidding too!

ETA: we are planning on reuising the same Graco snugride so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Graco seats are now compatible with the PP strollers (or you at least have to get a connecter piece, which I am fine with!)
TIA!

codex57
01-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Why not the Zippy? I like how it doesn't tip, even if you've got an elephant hanging off the handles. The extra long canopy is real nice too.

AnnieW625
01-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh yeah I liked the Zippy too, maybe even a little better than the P3, but asked about the P3 because it gets soo many raves here. I went to BRUS yesterday hoping to try the Uno, but I guess they don't keep it in the stores. I was very impressed with the Maclaren XLR though, and they are even making the 2009 model in brown green fabric, which would go great with the minty green color of our snugride.

codex57
01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh, the P3 is great. It's just like a 85% Zippy. I recommend it cuz you can get the P3 for a lot more off than the Zippy, but if you're buying an 09 and paying near retail, I'd get teh real deal.

Never thought the XLR was a contender in this category. Too many negatives. Maclaren's primary advantage is weight, but the XLR is as heavy as the competition so it loses it's only feature. I understand about the fabric, but the class the XLR plays in has too many better choices (like the P3 and Zippy).

For this general class, my top two strollers are the Zippy and the Baby Jogger City Mini.

AnnieW625
01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks again, both DH and I really liked the City Mini, but the following day I put Elisa in the Mac Triumph for a mall trip and realized just how much I love the Mac brand size and all over the jogger style stroller, esp. for mall, dr., etc. . Yesterday I did notice that the XLR is a taller and heavier stroller, but I did love the weight capacity of 65lbs (Elisa still loves her stroller, and since we live near theme parks a stroller might be necessary for years to come), the nicer wheels, the full recline, and such. Codex57 you mentioned the negatives of the Mac, and the other one I can think of is that the basket is small? Did you notice others?

Unless I sell my single jogger and prefered long walk strolling stroller soon (I have someone interested in it) I have some time to debate this purchase.

Nooknookmom
01-15-2009, 11:16 PM
I have a Zippy (almost 2 yrs old) and I had 2 Uno's.

The Uno is a very different stroller. The handle being reversible and the fact that the seat can be zipped up into a bassinet are great for younger babies. I loved the basket and the hood on the 08-09's are great.

I didn't care for the rear-wheel steering, the back wheels don't swivel so when you reverse the handle pushing it takes practice! The front wheels are single vs. double and would always get stuck on funky things. That said, I do wish I had kept one of them. The snack tray was great, the seat was huuuge and the aforementioned basket a plus. Also, the quality was great.

Venezia's are basically the same as the UNO w/ rear AT wheels. However, the rear Venezia wheels DO swivel. They don't push too well on cracked sidewalks, etc.

Zippy=:) for me. It has larger wheels than the Mac & the Peg (not by too much though). I don't get stuck on anything. The one hand fold ROCKS! Not tippy, bassinet compatible. The canopy pulls all the way down to the bar and the basket holds everything I shove in it. No problems in the 2 years I have had it. I took it on vaca in Aug and shoved my Britax Roundabout in it & let the airlines check it-came out fine.

Maclaren XLR was to me, a waste. Still very tippy, basket pretty small, no side wings for baby's head. The canopy does not cover little munchkins eyes very well and it is HEAVY! I had a hard time folding it too. I almost got one but after playing w/ it a few times, nixed it.

HTH

scorpion509
01-16-2009, 10:15 AM
My friend bought UNO for her little girl and it was ok until snow. after one time outside in the snow the snow just stick to thw small wheels and the stroller doesnt move at all after that. so they end up buying another stroller for the winter season.

AnnieW625
01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks the baby stores near me don't keep the Uno in stock so I haven't beenable to test it yet. I relooked at the Zippy, and the P3 and they seem like twin strollers to me with regards to steer, fabric options, weight, and even the snack bar is identical. I did like the one handed fold better, but overall I still didn't like the final fold of either the Zippy of the P3.

I did have a chance to play with the XLR, and while it isn't your typical carriage type stroller for me it did have many plusses. Since I've had a Maclaren Triumph as my main stroller for DD since she was 3 mos. old I love the compact fold and was able to get an equally compact fold out of it. I also really like the travel system option, which I have seen used in person. I work full time so I don't really need the need for an all around city stroller, but just thought I'd check everything else that's on the market out too.

maybaby2009
03-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Which one do I want. I just ordered the XLR 2009 but I might send it back. I want something that will work from infant up!

purpelina
03-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Which one do I want. I just ordered the XLR 2009 but I might send it back. I want something that will work from infant up!

It DOES work for an infant. I put mine in from day 3 (back from hospital), and she LOVED Mac's plush and spacious seat.

If you are concerned about the weight and size, XLR is not huge, but if you want all it has to offer in a slightly smaller package just get Techno XT or Techno Classic. Same full recline, suspension, great fold. ANd Biggest seat ever! My friends' 6 year old fits in it! And he doesn't fit in a bob or baby jogger for example. Not that he HAS to be in a stroller, not anymore since the last 2 years, but just as a thought :)

MamaBear
03-25-2009, 11:09 PM
I like how it doesn't tip, even if you've got an elephant hanging off the handles.

This image really did make me LOL! :ROTFLMAO:

salsah
03-25-2009, 11:09 PM
i always thought that a zippy fold is so much better than a p3 fold (based on what i have heard from people who have tried them -- i never tried either). i heard complaints that the p3 fold is complicated so it seemed worth it to pay more the super fast and easy fold of the zippy. but yesterday i was at bru and dd2 wandered towards the strollers so i took the opportunity to play with the p3. (there is nothing else worth looking at there and i've been thinking about getting a zippy for the toddler step.) it seemed that the fold is the same except that on the p3 you first have to press two buttons -- one on each of the handle bars. not hard, doesn't take more than a second, and can be done one handed. am i missing something?

salsah
03-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Oh, the P3 is great. It's just like a 85% Zippy. I recommend it cuz you can get the P3 for a lot more off than the Zippy, but if you're buying an 09 and paying near retail, I'd get teh real deal.

For this general class, my top two strollers are the Zippy and the Baby Jogger City Mini.

sorry, i don't mean to hijack, but i'm just curious, what does the zippy have that the p3 does not? i haven't been able to try a zippy and only played with a p3 quickly. i think i need one for the toddler step (to replace my venezia). i used to think that the zippy had a better fold, but the p3 fold seems so similar (fast, easy, one handed). i like that the 2009 zippy handles can rotate in. i think, if i'm not mistaken, opening the zippy is easier (and one handed). unlike the zippy, the p3 didn't seem to stand on its own after folded -- but i may be wrong. what other differences are there?

btw, i love the city mini too!

tia

AnnieW625
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
the fold was the only thing between the Zippy and the P3 that I could tell was any different. The P3 doesn't have a one handed fold, you still have to use two hands to get it started. They both had almost identical feeling fabric, and the snack bar was the same. I ended up buying a Vista off Craigslist, but had I needed to make a decision between the two that day I probably would've gone with the Zippy.

maybaby2009
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Now thinking I either want Zippy or XT plus their carseat thingy. Making a mistake?

AnnieW625
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
If you want a car seat thing for the MAC you have to get the XLR. I can't remember if the Zippy came with a car seat adapter bar or not.

maybaby2009
03-26-2009, 01:46 PM
I mean getting MAC's basket, over which a stroller seems to fit. We could probably use that till we felt comfortable having the baby in the stroller without the carseat and then switch to the XT.

salsah
03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
the fold was the only thing between the Zippy and the P3 that I could tell was any different. The P3 doesn't have a one handed fold, you still have to use two hands to get it started. They both had almost identical feeling fabric, and the snack bar was the same. I ended up buying a Vista off Craigslist, but had I needed to make a decision between the two that day I probably would've gone with the Zippy.

maybe they changed the p3 fold recently because i was able to it one handed. i first pushed the button on one handle bar, then i pushed the button on the other handle bar, and then i pulled the thing on the back -- all with the same hand.