PDA

View Full Version : leapster 2 Questions??

mommabear
01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
I just bought this for my son's 4th b-day and am wondering if

I need the charging station? or rechargeable batteries?

what games are best for a 4 yr old

how do you store it if you don't have the leapster case. (I read this had dangerous chemicals in it so I am not sure I want to get it)

mommabear
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Please
I really need feedback
TIA

jbrandy
01-13-2009, 07:54 PM
We have had the Leapster L-Max for 3 years and the Leapster 2 for 3 months. We have a charging station for both -- this saves us lots of batteries. I have the Leapster 2 charging station on my son's nightstand. At night he puts it on the charger and is always charged. The only time we have used the batteries is if we are going on a week or more long trip.

I would say a case is not necessary -- we had one for the L-max and it was played so much -- it was never is the case. It was just a pain. THe leapster is very durable. I'd say -- don't worry about it.

Games -- Leapster 2 will accept Leapster or Leapster 2 games. Here are DS's favorites:

Thomas
Walle
Star Wars
I Spy
Clifford
Cars
Mr. Pencil
NASCAR
Nemo

We have MANY games -- these are just the most played ones at our house.

Leapster is WELL WORTH the investment! It will last for many years. Many parents say that that kids love it for more years if you don't have a hand held game system such as PSP or DS, etc.... As a teacher -- I think it has taught my son soooo much!

I hope this helps.

THanks!

calv
01-13-2009, 08:15 PM
so is the battery/charging station totally different for the lmax and leapster 2? in other words, are they interchangable?

KrystalS
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
We have the regular Leapster but I think its very similar to the Leapster 2. We have the recharging station and I know it has saved us a ton on batteries. I paid $20 for it and it was definitely worth the money. DD's fave games are Pet Pals and Walle, she also plays Spongebob but its a lot of math so a little too hard for her.
ETA We don't have a case, I don't think its necessary.

MMMommy
01-14-2009, 12:54 AM
I picked up two of these Lands End padded lunch sacks specifically to use as Nintendo DS Lite storage cases. It's roomy and large enough that I imagine it would hold a Leapster 2/Leapster LMax/Leapster. They were reduced to $3.49 each (additional 30% off of the $4.99 clearance price) at my local Sears' Lands End Kids department.

They have rubberized plastic handles for easy carrying and make great cases for smaller game systems.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LunchSack~186764_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::TVY&CM_MERCH=IDX_00004_0000000022_0000000491&origin=index

jbrandy
01-14-2009, 09:53 PM
No they two have different charging stations -- the L-Max charger and Leapster 2 are not interchangable.

By the way I know L-Max is on sale in lots of places right now but...I like the design of L2 better. The reason we bought a second was the DS 1 had all but chewed off the pen cord and the l-max was shutting itself off even on brand new batteries -- so -- basically it died. Also, the cover for the screen was always in DS's way or falling off. DS 1 is almost 6 and still loves it so we replaced it with leapster 2. This is design is so much better -- the pen is just attached by string -- so it can be replaced easier -- no screen cover, smaller in general, etc....

I hope this helps.

so is the battery/charging station totally different for the lmax and leapster 2? in other words, are they interchangable?

mommabear
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM
We have had the Leapster L-Max for 3 years and the Leapster 2 for 3 months. We have a charging station for both -- this saves us lots of batteries. I have the Leapster 2 charging station on my son's nightstand. At night he puts it on the charger and is always charged. The only time we have used the batteries is if we are going on a week or more long trip.

I would say a case is not necessary -- we had one for the L-max and it was played so much -- it was never is the case. It was just a pain. THe leapster is very durable. I'd say -- don't worry about it.

Games -- Leapster 2 will accept Leapster or Leapster 2 games. Here are DS's favorites:

Thomas
Walle
Star Wars
I Spy
Clifford
Cars
Mr. Pencil
NASCAR
Nemo

We have MANY games -- these are just the most played ones at our house.

Leapster is WELL WORTH the investment! It will last for many years. Many parents say that that kids love it for more years if you don't have a hand held game system such as PSP or DS, etc.... As a teacher -- I think it has taught my son soooo much!

I hope this helps.

THanks!

Thanks
I called the company and they said not to use rechargeable batteries. Of course I could barely understand the reason why. Would be nice to speak to someone in America.
Wonder if they just want to sell a charging station.

I got the games on sale at TRU buy one get one. They didn't have any I wanted so I just bought what they had. They said I could swap them out later. It's been about 3 weeks and they haven't gotten any more in.
Seems to be the trend with toys. I can't find anything I want instock.