PDA

View Full Version : Can't Decide Which Furniture Pieces To Get!

sunshine28
01-12-2009, 10:48 PM
We decided on an Espresso colored Pali set for the nursery. The double dresser and forever crib are definites, but I keep changing my mind about everything else. I really wanted the hutch for above the dresser b/c I thought it was such a nice piece, but DH thinks it's not worth the extra $. Then I can't decide between the 5 drawer tall dresser or the armoire. I always liked an armoire, but it is quite tall and if we get the hutch (for above dresser) I feel like maybe it will look like "too much" in the room, esp. since it's a dark color. Lastly, I think we should get a night table since this is her "forever" furniture and we'll want to put it next to her bed once it's full-size. Plus I can use it now as a table next to the glider. If we wait to get the nghtstand this model may no longer exist.
As you can see, I'm very overwhelmed with this decision!
Any thoughts?

MaddieBoo
01-13-2009, 11:16 AM
We found that the hutch we bought with the double dresser was very useful during the diaper stage to put the diaper changing essentials up front and easy to grab. Now that our child is older, the hutch has become a place to put books and pictures. I am very happy with the hutch decision.
The nightstand was also a great choice. My DH put a 10" flat panel tv on it and an ear piece. We watched a lot of very late night tv. We also bought a matching bookcase. From day one it was full and is always heavily used. If you can fit it in the room.... I highly recommend it.

Best of luck.

ahrimie
01-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I would second the hutch. We have one and keep her books and stuffed animals in it. If you have a closet, I don't think an armoire is necessary--though, I do like the way they look though. I think a nightstand is good too for the reason you stated. We didn't buy one and sometimes, I wish there were something near me so I could put some water there. But now that DD is 8 months, nursing sessions aren't as long as they used to be so I've learned to live without. Plus, you could place your glider near your drawer/hutch where you could put water or anything else you would put on a nightstand.

WatchingThemGrow
01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
For our DD's furniture (not Pali, not convertible crib), we went with a nightstand beside the glider (moved next to full bed), and a bookcase (totally utilitarian), an armoire/wardrobe (small closets, little girls get lots of dresses), and a double dresser w/no hutch. When she finished with diapers, we moved the changing table top to DS' room and attached a matching mirror to the back of her dresser.

One thing that really helped me with indecision was to make a graph paper drawing of the room and scaled pieces of all the furniture - for the baby stage, the toddler stage and for the growing up years - even getting the measurements of the matching computer desk for later elementary. I have it all in a file (somewhere) and pull it out every so often to see if I can fit the play kitchen and the train table in the room and the doll nursery stuff in there comfortably. Sounds obsessive, but the stuff costs a LOT and I want to make an informed decision.

If you'll want a nightstand in a couple years when the bed is converted, get it. You can't go wrong with a bookcase either. Kids have SO much stuff to organize.

ETA: With a boy, I felt there was a little bit less of a need for a mirror or armoire since "appearance" is less of an issue. My DD needs to look at her hair in the mirror so she can see it is cute (which keeps the barrettes intact).