PDA

View Full Version : DS rolling over onto tummy in his sleep ... what to do?

slworld
01-13-2009, 02:34 AM
DS is 6months old. He has been rolling over onto his tummy since he was 3 months old but only when awake. He just started rolling from tummy to back. DS is swaddled for both naps & sleep. For the past couple of days he has started rolling in his sleep and then wakes up screaming cause he does not seem to be able to go back onto his back. I have been turning him back onto his back but his sleep is pretty disturbed since he is doing this often during the night and he does not seem to be able to go back to sleep again easily. Does this mean I cannot swaddle him any longer (he cannot settle himself if he is not swaddled, have tried one hand out without any luck). Any suggestions on what I can do about it? I put a pillow on either side but doesn't seem to be helping (please don't flame me for that).

tnrnchick74
01-13-2009, 03:46 AM
if he's rolling over, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I might not swaddle him at this point, but just let him sleep in whatever way he goes. The risk for SIDS cuts dramatically at this age when they can move their heads side to side and move their own torso.

strollerqueen
01-13-2009, 05:07 AM
I asked my Ped about that. She said there's not much you can do when they are rolling like that. But, she also said not to worry, because if he is that active, then he can easily move around to a position in which he can breathe.

strollerqueen
01-13-2009, 05:08 AM
And yeah, with that kind of movement, the swaddling would make me nervous. I would take him out at this point. He'll get used to it.

KrisM
01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I'd stop the swaddle so that he can use his arms to help roll himself back, if he wants. Sleeping on his tummy isn't an issue once they're getting there themselves.

carolinamama
01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
This is exactly when we had to get rid of the swaddle with DS1. I agree that it is fine for him to sleep on his stomach at this point but not with the swaddle since he wouldn't have his arms to help move his body. Unfortunately the only way we got DS to sleep post-swaddle was to use some cio.

ahrimie
01-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Once my DD could roll over and chose to sleep on her tummy, I swaddled but left her arms out. She looks like a mermaid when I put her to sleep :P Or, try a sleepsack! I JUST started using them and really really love them. I have the ones that are sleeveless.

DietCokeLover
01-13-2009, 03:24 PM
I would also stop the swaddling. One thing we tried that worked for a while, as DD would do the same thing, but every 15 mins or so throughout the night. We put in a curved changing pad for her to sleep on. It worked for a while to keep her from rolling over.