PDA

View Full Version : Does the clear plastic on a canopy block the sun?

elektra
01-13-2009, 03:18 PM
I have seen a few strollers that have clear plastic that hangs down from the canopy. Does anyone know if that really blocks the sun?

Ex.
http://www.strollers.com/BabyPlanet-101202-RT-PLT1006.html

edurnemk
01-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Not from my experience. I had a Graco Quattro that had a window in the middle of the canopy with tinted plastic but the sun did bother my son when it came through that window. But I donĀ“t know about other strollers, however it seems a matter of simple physics, if it's clear it's because it lets the light through.

WatchingThemGrow
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
I dunno, but just the size and angle of that canopy says "I don't block much sun" IMO. We don't go out strolling midday when the sun is directly overhead since that's likely lunch and naptime. I kills me when I see people walking their babies directly into the lower-in-the-sky sun with a skimpy canopy that provides little shade while the parents wear sunglasses or a hat.

strollerqueen
01-13-2009, 04:28 PM
I have seen a few strollers that have clear plastic that hangs down from the canopy. Does anyone know if that really blocks the sun?

Ex.
http://www.strollers.com/BabyPlanet-101202-RT-PLT1006.html

That's a rain visor. There are some that have sun visors, which do help. Watch out for the ones that have plastic windows on the top or on the sides, with no cover flaps. My kids hate those! The sun always streams through and hits them right in the face. Actually, I do have a couple of strollers I like otherwise that have those, but I have to cover them with a Ray Shade.

elektra
01-13-2009, 05:10 PM
That's a rain visor.
Thanks. I never was quite sure what that clear stuff was for. I live in SoCal so I am not all that familiar with rain. ;)
It's 87 degrees at my house today for crying out loud!

sste
01-13-2009, 09:27 PM
If its a Maclaren XT/XLR then the clear window and clear overhang thingy are coated with a material that protects against the sun. I called the company and grilled them on this issue and the clear stuff is 99% UV blocking.