PDA

View Full Version : New Name Poll

arivecchi
01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Baby Boy names

WatchingThemGrow
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
I see Roland's on the new list. Did my "I once dated a Roland" suggestion not sway him?

Which one(s) are YOU leaning toward and which ones work with the sibling's name?

KpbS
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
What about Mathias? Similar to Mather but I like it better.

JBaxter
01-13-2009, 03:40 PM
LOL Growing up the scurfy old mechanic in town was Roland so thats out for me
Morgan and Mackenzy are girls names around here ( 2 mackenzies and 2 morgans in Nathan's preschool alone)
Mather to me sounds made up to me.

I voted Blake

HIU8
01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I knew a Blake in elementary school, so I voted for that name.

Fairy
01-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Blake!........

arivecchi
01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes, hubby insists on Roland. It will be one of the names on the poll - just a matter of picking and agreeing on one. I don't mind the unisex nature of some of the names. Thanks for voting!

WatchingThemGrow
01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Ok, I voted for Blake, but I do know a Blaine that's really nice. I think I heard he's a daddy now. Oh, wait, I know TWO! Do you like that one?

pinkmomagain
01-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Well first I hit Blake because I like that name....but my concern for you is the fact that there is a young actress named Blake Lively and I think that could trend Blake as a girls name in the near future. I'm sorry, I really don't like Mather. The others are too feminine for my taste. So that left me to vote for Roland.

Snow mom
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
I voted Mather but also really like the name Blake. Morgan and especially Mackenzy are girl names IMO. I'm not a fan of the name Roland.

happymomma
01-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I voted for Blake also. I don't really like Mather. And when I think of MacKenzy and Morgan, I think of girls. I'm also not a big fan of Roland.

amandabea
01-13-2009, 04:53 PM
LOL Growing up the scurfy old mechanic in town was Roland so thats out for me
Morgan and Mackenzy are girls names around here ( 2 mackenzies and 2 morgans in Nathan's preschool alone)
Mather to me sounds made up to me.

I voted Blake

I voted Blake too. And I totally agree with the above about Morgan and Mackenzy -- there seem to be more girls with those names. Mather...you know people are gonna nickname the kid "the Beav" (am I totally dating myself here with the reference to Jerry Mathers from The Beaver?!)

arivecchi
01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I see Roland's on the new list. Did my "I once dated a Roland" suggestion not sway him?

Which one(s) are YOU leaning toward and which ones work with the sibling's name?

I like Blake, Mather and Morgan.

KBecks
01-13-2009, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't do 2 er names.

WatchingThemGrow
01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I like Blake and Asher together!

arivecchi
01-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Blake seems to be winning by a landslide!

TonFirst
01-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Blake. Mather reminds me of Cotton Mather:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Mather

vludmilla
01-13-2009, 05:57 PM
What about Mathias? Similar to Mather but I like it better.

I totally agree. I think Mathias is a very nice, more unusual name for a boy.

Fairy
01-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Ya know, you've put "Mather" in your poll twice now, and it was the first option in the poll both times. That might be telling for you.

I still like Blake.

amldaley
01-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Blake...he was my prom date and a really nice guy.

scoop22
01-13-2009, 10:10 PM
blake!! i loved this name thought my sister was going to use this but didn't.

pillsnberries
01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
If we had a boy, we were going to name him Grayson

MontrealMum
01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
I voted for Morgan - I see very few others did, but that's just my personal taste. I have two male friends with that as a name...one was named after the car. http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/ His dad races them. It's also one of those names that goes both ways these days, but I do like it. If you're going with Mackenzy I'd spell it the "accepted" way, ie, the Scottish surname: Mackenzie, I think you might run into trouble with a more creative spelling. Being a "girl" name wouldn't stop me, but DH and I are both of Scottish heritage and so are many of the people where we live, it's much more of a boy name here. I also like Mather because it resonates with the historian side of me; but that's because one of my fields is Early American History, and I was raised in the Congregational church (see post by TonFirst).

I do not like Blake, just a gut feeling, and Roland makes me think of The Song of Roland.

SASM
01-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I totally agree. I think Mathias is a very nice, more unusual name for a boy.

ITA as well. I LOVE the name Mathias/Matthias! Asher and Mathias sounds nice. Of the names on your list, I voted for Blake, as Asher and Blake sounds nice. I agree with the others ~ Mather sounds made up, Morgan and Mackenzy are girls names in my area ad Roland would be a distant third (behind Mathias and Blake).

Good luck! Picking a name is NOT fun. We chose DS's name on day 2, after already announcing another name (first half of cards are one name and second half are addressed to his actual name). DD#2's name was literally chosen 5 minutes before our d/c...we just couldn't decide. :( That being said, once we signed the birth certificate form, we felt comfortable with our decisions...no regrets...EVER. ;) Good luck! It'll work out.

american_mama
01-14-2009, 01:02 AM
I like Mather, but am not sure how to pronounce. I assume it is MAH-thur, very much like Matthew, not MAY-thur. I have never heard of it, but would asssume it's a last name and last names as first names is very popular. I know people named Ballard, Gaines, Garland, Lowell (a girl), Kaczin, Mercer, and I always assume those are last names as first names.

I definitely wouldn't spell Mackenzy that way for a boy. "Cr8tif" spellings are much more common with girls, plus the girly or at least androgynous nature of the name, would make me go with the traditional spelling.

specialp
01-14-2009, 02:10 AM
I wouldn't do 2 er names.

I had the same thought. I like Blake. I don't mind Morgan. I've know 2 - 1 a boy and 1 a girl.