PDA

View Full Version : Thrift store prices

JillPill
01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
For the stores that buy items from you to resell (not consignment), what kinds of prices do they give you for various types of baby/toddler clothing and other items, such as onesies, side snap t-shirts, sleepers, pajamas, outfits, high chair, swing, bouncer, toys, etc.

Does anyone have any recent expereince they can share?

brittone2
01-13-2009, 05:10 PM
For the stores that buy items from you to resell (not consignment), what kinds of prices do they give you for various types of baby/toddler clothing and other items, such as onesies, side snap t-shirts, sleepers, pajamas, outfits, high chair, swing, bouncer, toys, etc.

Does anyone have any recent expereince they can share?

I haven't done much consigning recently, but the very nice consignment place local to me gives much more $$ if you are willing to take store credit vs. cash. That is one thing to consider depending on your needs.

I would not count on getting much at all for stuff like onesies for example. Some places won't even accept them.

The other factor for me with consigning is how much work I need to put in. The place I have consigned makes it easy to consign relative to other places. They don't make you have an appt usually or anything like that. The items must be washed, unstained, in the season they are looking for, and they like them put into a rubbermaid or similar box. Every place has its own policies. Some are too particular with appts. etc. for me and I never seem to get around to dropping off in that case.

eta: I'm confused. I re-read your post. I think we are talking about the same thing, but at our consignment place you still end up with cash or credit up front; you don't have to wait for the item to sell. We do have large, large consignment sales here in NC where it is mom to mom basically, but held in one large central location and run by a group that organizes the sale. Consignors set their own prices, tag items and hang them a certain specified way, and then drop off. By the end of the sale they move everything to half price, and you have the option to tag your merchandise so that it does not move to half price and you can pick it up instead. At the very end of the sale they donate what didn't sell. Again, there is a tag option for moms who want to pick up unsold merchandise vs. donate. For one coming up, the consignor keeps 2/3 of the sale price (assuming the item sells).

o_mom
01-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Around here, Once Upon a Child is the big chain. They give you 50% of what they mark it at. So, an outfit that they sell for $3, they give you $1.50. They can be very picky, most limit you to one 'tub' at a time and they only buy in season.

JillPill
01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the message. At our consignment shops, you don't get your money until the item actually sells, so that's why i was thinking about the other type of resell shops.

Thanks for your information!

brittone2
01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the message. At our consignment shops, you don't get your money until the item actually sells, so that's why i was thinking about the other type of resell shops.

Thanks for your information!

Just for a reference, at various consignment places I see stuff like Carters sleepers for anywhere from say $3-5. I won't buy at $5 since Carters isn't that expensive new. Something like a HA zipper will go for more if your consignment shops are in an area where people know what HA is.

In any case, assume the shop will probably give you half, sometimes a little more, often a little less (40%?) of that price. So for a Carter's sleeper, you might be looking at $1.50-2.00 that you end up with. Obviously if they take and sell a lot of higher end stuff, you'll do better than that (boutique brands, smocked stuff, Hanna, etc.)

veronica
01-13-2009, 06:27 PM
my local store give you 30% of what they mark the item out, which percentage wise stinks but she sells gymboree, gap, and old navy stuff at $5.50-$7 per piece which ends up being ok. I get my money up front , don't have to wait for the stuff to sell (at her prices, I am amazed how much she does sell - I can get gymbo stuff new for the same price!)

MMEand1
01-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I recently brought a TON of stuff (think 4 50-gallon Rubbermaid containers) to a Once Upon a Child store. A lot of my stuff was very high name brand like Good Lad and HA. I also had a lot of Gymbo and Gap. I only got $60 for the stuff that they took which came out to about 3/4 of 1 container. The funny thing is, that they did not take the Gymbo, HA and Good Lad stuff, only the Children's Place and Gap stuff. Good luck! It's always a gamble when you try to sell your stuff...most people don't think it's worth as much as you do!
MP

brittone2
01-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah, depending on what brands you have, you might consider Craigslist or Ebay first. A PITB, but you'll keep more of the $$.

MamaMolly
01-14-2009, 01:23 AM
I've sold to my local Kid to Kid and to a nicer consignment boutique. Both are pretty picky about what they take (everything has to be ironed or dry cleaned) and I find that what the consignment store won't take K2K usually will, but I'm careful/picky about what I bother to IRON for consignment, ya know?? There was an old post about K2K where lots of folks said it wasn't worth the trouble, many said they got pennies on the dollar.

I usually have about 40 garments to and make about $25-$30 at each store (so maybe $60 total for the 40 items). I give everything else to charity, so I'm not really doing it to make money. I just like to have a little cash for my trouble.

Melaine
01-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Around here, Once Upon a Child is the big chain. They give you 50% of what they mark it at. So, an outfit that they sell for $3, they give you $1.50. They can be very picky, most limit you to one 'tub' at a time and they only buy in season.

I have had several negative experiences with OUAC....I honestly question whether their markup is only double....it seems to be higher at my store. What they have offered me in the past has been laughably low and they were unable to give me a breakdown of price. In other words, I brought in 4 items, they offer $15 and I say, "How much for just this dress?" and they "can't tell me". WTH!?

ett
01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
The Kid to Kid in my area gives 25% of their selling price in cash (and 20% more if it's store credit). They don't take any clothes smaller than 18-24 months and clothes have to been in season. I've seen the prices in the store and there is no way that I would pay those prices for the clothes. I can get similar brand clothes on sale for cheaper. (Though I guess their high prices make it better for me when I sell to them.) They were not able to tell me how much I was getting for each item either.

The Children's Orchard gives about 1/3 of their selling price. They are very picky about infants clothes because they get tons, so they will only take outfits (no onesies, etc.). They will take any season's clothes. They take books but no toys. I've never sold to them before but I just discovered one yesterday and was asking them about selling stuff.

So I won't get a lot of money from selling to these stores, but it's an easy way to get rid of some stuff and make a little bit of cash at the same time. I took 2 bins of toys to Kid to Kid last week and they bought about 75% of what I had and paid me $23. (They will either donate the rest or give it back to you.) If I wanted to sell them on craiglist or elsewhere, then I would have had to take the time to take pictures and describe conditions.

Lammy02
01-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I 2nd the poster that talked about the big consignment sale that you tag and price your own items - I have made big $ and almost all of my items sell - especially the name brand. It is call Just Between Friends - it is alot of work up front but if you have the time is is well worth the $ - I believe you keep 70% of the selling price.

http://www.jbfsale.com/home

Amy

Melaine
01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
I've had great luck with craigslist, just organize everything into large lots to make it worth the trouble.

s_gosney
01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
I 2nd the poster that talked about the big consignment sale that you tag and price your own items - I have made big $ and almost all of my items sell - especially the name brand. It is call Just Between Friends - it is alot of work up front but if you have the time is is well worth the $ - I believe you keep 70% of the selling price.

http://www.jbfsale.com/home

Amy

ITA with this. Where we used to live there was a HUGE JBF sale and I had great luck with both selling and buying there. On top of keeping a bigger chunk of the $, the other nice thing is that you set your own price and decide whether or not to let it go to 50% off on the last day (by individual item), so you can control where you want to fall on the continuum of making money vs just getting rid of stuff. Highly recommend it. Since we've moved, I've been looking and none of the sales here compare.

JillPill
01-14-2009, 06:46 PM
I looked and we don't have a JBF sale here, but we do have something similar. Thanks for that idea and all the other tips and information everyone has provided me. Now, do you want to help me price everything??

Thanks
Jill