PDA

View Full Version : WOW Toys...anyone have any experience with this brand?

MontrealMum
01-14-2009, 12:36 AM
DS was given something called "Dexter the Digger" by WOW Toys for Christmas from DH's boss and his wife. It's a plastic bulldozer, with a few plastic rocks (with things inside to make noise), and a guy to "operate" it. The darn bulldozer makes all sorts of noise (remembering the top 10 toys not to buy started by ElizabethKott for Babyjones)...with no batteries required! It's friction powered - nice.

We hid the bulldozer after discovering that, and let him play with the guy along with his Playmobil 1-2-3. He chewed nearly all the paint off his hardhat before I noticed - bad mommy! :( It *says* "meets European standards" "no pthalates" (duh, it's hard plastic and unscented), "no PVC", "no toxic paints" BUT it's MIC. Would you let your kid play with it anyways? It's a British brand. We've hidden all the parts at this point (he has tons of new toys from Xmas) - but I'm not too sure what to do about this thing, aside from the fact that we're pretty anti-noisemaking-toys around here. Any experience or suggestions?

bubbaray
01-14-2009, 12:41 AM
ETA names: I've posted about there here before. We have quite a few. THey ROCK. We have the fire truck (Ernie Fire Engine), the green tractor (Bumpity Bump Bernie), the pink car (Dynamite Daisy) and the pink "caravan" or RV (Katie's camper). They are so cute!

Hmmmm, I wonder if they have a plane.... (they do, Johnny Jungle plane)

ETA: http://www.wowtoys.com/PDF/WOW%20online%20Catalogue.pdf

MontrealMum
01-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Thanks. I was thinking with it being British and coming from a swanky store in Westmount that it was probably "safe", but I think it might have to be an outside or visiting Granny and Granddad toy. At least for now ;) Of course our wooden toys are pretty noisy too when they're banged against the wooden floor, so I'm working on it, really I am.

I tried to do a search, but being named "wow" made it a little hard...didn't realize how often we use that word in normal conversation.

bubbaray
01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
but I think it might have to be an outside or visiting Granny and Granddad toy.

Hmmm, I don't find them noisy. I mean, you can hear the motor, but that's it, no beeping, random phrases spoken at you at 2am, etc. like the LeapFrog toys.

WatchingThemGrow
01-14-2009, 02:09 PM
, no beeping, random phrases spoken at you at 2am, etc. like the LeapFrog toys.

Ugh. SOOOO BTDT!

They have WOW toys at one of the independent toy stores in our little mall. My kids love them. Should totally go play with them more.

Someone was selling 3 of them on our CL, and I contacted them, but decided we have enough vehicles. We'd still like to try them out, though.

Could you contact the company about the paint coming off?

bubbaray
01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
My DD#2 chewed the paint off of the driver of Daisy (pink race car). I dunno. I really didn't sweat it -- its European standards. I did think it was odd that she only chewed off the black paint. Maybe it tasted better??

I probably would have flipped if that had happened with DD#1, but, ya know, the 2nd gets totally shafted. I'm too tired to get too worked up about it. If it had been a dollar store MIC toy, I might have been more worried. The WOW toys have to meet the EU standards and I'm good with that.

MontrealMum
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
The WOW toys have to meet the EU standards and I'm good with that.
I know you're right about this. I'm just coming to terms with it, and with the whole noise thing. I've seen, and heard!, some of those other types of toys and this certainly isn't as bad, it's just that it's our first noisemaker of any kind. I'm trying to relax ;) He'd already ingested quite a bit of our MIC (C being Canada) Morigeau-Lepine crib before I noticed and seems OK. I was just more used to the Playmobil type people whose "paint" doesn't flake like that. It never occurred to me that he'd eat all the paint off the hat (it was red, BTW) I was also sort of wondering if there were any recalls or anything associated with the brand as I hadn't really heard of it before, and didn't follow recalls for older kids toys until recently.