PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to be rude. But, DO NOT touch my baby!!

kusumat
01-14-2009, 10:58 AM
I just don't understand why pp can't get an implied message that I don't want them to touch my baby(6mos old). I put her in an Ergo carrier faced in. I did tell them that she was sleeping. Even that, one lady still managed to put her hand on my carrier even I told her not to wake my baby up. How could I be more clear?

They are not our closed friends/family. They are just strangers we meet in the gym, museum, party.This is still in the flu season. I also don't like pp shake my older DC's hands(2.5 yrs old).

Any suggestions? TIA!

hellokitty
01-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Agh, I hated that too, esp during flu season. I think that sometimes you just have to be kind of blunt and literally move away from the person when they reach for the baby or just flat out tell them you appreciate the attn but prefer that they don't touch you or your child.

Ceepa
01-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Try to keep moving even if it's just kind of rocking and shifting weight from one foot to the other, it'll keep baby happy to bounce along in the carrier and people have more trouble touching a "moving target."

MamaMolly
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
I think that there is nothing wrong with telling ANYONE don't touch. I'd even push their hand away, smile and say flu season. It isn't worth risking the flu, RSV or worse just to spare someone's feelings!

C99
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Because babies are cute! I think it's a natural instinct to want to touch them in some way. That said, I think you can politely and firmly tell people not to touch your child.

I'd rather my kids get illnesses when they are toddlers/preschoolers than when they start elementary school (when they will just get them anyway if they don't have the immunity), but I realize my attitude may be different than the norm.

Melaine
01-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I've been surprised at my own response to people; I am usually pretty laid back, but "DO NOT TOUCH THEM" has come out of my mouth many times. For pity's sake, they are STRANGERS!! It's amazing that this is even an issue, but it is...

Asianmommy
01-14-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree. Putting them in a carrier and moving around a lot helps. I would also cover up the baby with clothing, plus a hat and mitts, and even a blanket, if you don't want the baby to be touched.

One lady once tried to unstrap my baby and pick her up out of the stroller. This was a stranger in the lobby of our building. I think she was high!