PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Mamas- how aware are your DC of their allergies?

LarsMal
01-14-2009, 05:08 PM
I am so proud of DS (almost 3 1/2)! The director and teachers at his preschool have been great with his allergies. They are always contacting me to discuss food projects, etc. DS is very aware of his allergies. He knows that eggs and milk/cheese make him "sick" and have allergies. Anytime we buy/cook/eat something new he is always asking, "Does that have allergies?" He knows he can have some things and not others, but I didn't know how aware he was since *milk* and *cheese* are very specific items to him.

Today I got a phone call from the director. She said the teacher was working on a project, using Goldfish crackers. Um...helloooo...CHEDDAR CHEESE!!! The director said, "Mrs. S. was pretty sure they were safe for L, but he is telling her he can't have them because they have allergies. I just wanted to call and check with you."

Okay, I'm glad she called, but seriously, what part of cheddar cheese Goldfish would be safe for my child?!?!?

I had no idea DS was *that* aware! When I asked him about it at pick-up he said, "Yeah, Mrs. S. tried to give them to me, but I told her they would make me sick."

All I can think is that he knows he hasn't had them before, and if I haven't given them to him, he just assumes they have allergies? Don't know, but I was so proud!!

bubbaray
01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
That d/n surprise me. My 4.75yo DD#1 is VERY aware of her sister's FAs (and, now, her own). She has been since DD#2's anaphylaxis a year ago, so around age 3.75.

She is VERY aware, almost to the point (but not quite) of it being a problem. I'm keeping an eye on her to make sure that she's "dealing with" the FA issue appropriately, KWIM?

almostamom
01-14-2009, 05:25 PM
DS is four and I don't think he really has any idea about his allergies. We don't keep any of his allergens in the house at all. He's never seen a nut of any kind that I know of, and we don't bring strawberries, oranges, or mustard in the house or eat them around him. We have had conversations in the grocery store that certain cookies or crackers will make him sick and that's why we can't buy those.

Good for your DS for knowing that he couldn't have the goldfish.

hez
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure DS would ask if something had eggs when he was 3. I was actually fairly comfortable with him at preschool last year at just-turned 4 because he *always* asks about a new food-- he even asks me.

IMO, it doesn't hurt to have the conversation fairly regularly to help your child understand his/her allergy. If you ask DS what would happen if he ate something with eggs in it, he'll immediately tell you that he'd throw up. If you ask what he should do if someone tries to give him food and I'm not there, he'll say that he should ask if it has eggs in the ingredients. We practice those situations whenever I remember.

Did your DS see the Goldfish package? Does it have a picture of cheese on the side? Whatever the reason, your DS did a great job!

sunriseiz
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
I think that's AMAZING! DS has nut allergies and is good about asking before having something and he knows (and will say that) nuts make him sick, but wow!!! I am proud of your little guy! :)

MamaMolly
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
:cheerleader: Yay for DS!! (and BOO for the grownups not getting the whole Goldfish thing... that one seems to happens a lot)

DD is just beginning to 'get' her allergies. I've told her that she can't eat food-X because it has allergen-y. Like yesterday, she couldn't have a bite of my sandwich because it had mayonnaise in it and that mayo had eggs which will hurt her body. Of course at dinner she told me she couldn't eat salmon because it would 'hurt her body' ;) Stinker! I corrected her, of course, but I was really proud of her for starting to 'get it'.

bcafe
01-14-2009, 06:11 PM
DS has the peanut allergy and he is 3.5. He does great in asking whether or not he can have something that is new to him. His big sister is 6 and she keeps a "big sister eye" on him all the time. At Halloween last year she asked everyone that handed out candy if the pieces had peanuts in them. It got to a point that I just told here that mama would go through them before her brother had anything. It was pretty sweet.

ThreeofUs
01-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Kudos to you and your DC for teaching/knowing about allergies!

My DS1 knows very well what he's allergic to, thank goodness, and makes good choices about what to eat - most of the time!

DrSally
01-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Hooray for your DS!!! YEah, something about goldfish, so many people think they're ok for dairy allergy kids--Duh! Even the pretzle goldfish have milk.

DS always asks "does that have eggs". He freq talks about how he's not supposed to eat eggs, peanuts, or mustard. He even asks me to check ingred and pretends to check ingred on boxes when we're shopping too. If we have a party coming up, the first thing he says it "we have to bring my special cake". Not sure if he'd be able to tell someone he couldn't have something. Maybe we should discuss more explicitly not taking food from people. Although, other kids have tried to offer him crackers or such and he deferrs.

jk3
01-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Extremely aware. He sticks to food he knows he can safely eat and always asks an adult about baked goods or new foods. He also claims to be allergic to anything he does not want to eat!

bigsis
01-15-2009, 01:26 AM
My 3yo DS is very aware. One time at a party, he was given pizza and just looked at the person who gave it to him funny.

BTW, He's allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs, nuts, and shellfish.

KpbS
01-15-2009, 01:33 AM
DS1 is very aware--he knows he can not eat food unless we have given it to him or it is from a close family member. He has a multitude of allergies but knowing you can't have something and not wanting to try it are so different. It is really hard.