PDA

View Full Version : Doh! Feel like a Terrible Mommy!

vejemom
01-14-2009, 06:14 PM
DD#1 is a diehard Croc girl, so for winter, I bought her the Croc Nadia boots. The shaft and the footbed are lined in faux fur, so I've been letting her wear them without socks. We were in Nordstrom this morning shopping for snow boots. I pulled her boots off for her to try the snow boots on, and the liner of the Crocs pulled out with her foot. As I replaced it, I discovered that only the footbed liner is furry, the rest of the croslite shoe is not. So she's been running around sockless in freezing cold weather all this time :32:

Even worse, I also discovered that her feet grew an astounding size and a half over the course of 3 months. I thought she wore a 6 1/2, but she's now measuring an 8. Doh! I don't know why she hasn't complained about her feet being cold and pinched...

elektra
01-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Oops! It doesn't sound like she had any problems though! FWIW, I can never tell if DD's shoes are fitting properly. I think a few pairs are too small but I just can't tell for sure, even by pushing down on her toe from the outside.

KrisM
01-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Oh! I often can't tell if shoes are small until I can't get them on a foot anymore.

I just realized DS's coat is too small because his shirt sleeves are always wet. I had him put the coat on and the sleeves are a good 1.5 inches too short. So he's had cold wrists, I'm sure.

s7714
01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Don't feel bad, the shoe size thing always sneaks up on me too. My almost 6 year old had been a size 9 1/2 for the longest time. I went to measure her because she had worn out her tennis shoes and discovered she was now a 10 1/2. She never complained even once about her feet hurting...until we're standing in the shoe store and she says "Can I take my shoes off? They're hurting my toes." :duh: Thanks for the advanced warning there kiddo! Think next time you could mention that a little sooner? ;)

sarahsthreads
01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Don't feel bad, the shoe size thing always sneaks up on me too. My almost 6 year old had been a size 9 1/2 for the longest time. I went to measure her because she had worn out her tennis shoes and discovered she was now a 10 1/2. She never complained even once about her feet hurting...until we're standing in the shoe store and she says "Can I take my shoes off? They're hurting my toes." :duh: Thanks for the advanced warning there kiddo! Think next time you could mention that a little sooner? ;)
Except that now my DD will tell me her shoes are pinching when they fit just fine but she wants a different pair. So I have to bring her to the shoe store and have them check (because I can *never* feel where her toes are!) and they're always still the right size. Until, of course, they're not - and then I feel guilty that I didn't get her new shoes sooner! I swear their feet literally grow sizes overnight sometimes.

Sarah :)

s7714
01-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Except that now my DD will tell me her shoes are pinching when they fit just fine but she wants a different pair. So I have to bring her to the shoe store and have them check (because I can *never* feel where her toes are!) and they're always still the right size. Until, of course, they're not - and then I feel guilty that I didn't get her new shoes sooner! I swear their feet literally grow sizes overnight sometimes.

Sarah :)

My younger DD tries to pull that on me too whenever her sister gets new shoes and she wants a new pair too. That's part of the reason I bought a shoe sizer to have at home! That way I can just measure without dragging them to the store. I never can feel their toes at the ends either. (Another reason to love sandals as there's visual confirmation on toe location! ;) )