PDA

View Full Version : name of shot please!

scoop22
01-14-2009, 06:25 PM
ds2 has been sick since monday. he has thrown up almost everytime he eats. so yes it has been a long week. tomorrow we are to call the dr. again about wet diapers. they are suggesting a shot that stops him from throwing up for about 8 hrs. so we can push the liquids.

what is the name of this?
pros/cons?

ds1 has never been this sick for so long.

thanks..
A stressed out mommy!

WatchingThemGrow
01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
When DD was on the verge of dehydration from illness, they gave her Zofran- a pill, which stopped the throwing up. She wouldn't touch pedialyte in any form, but chicken soup through a straw and popsicles (while I held the stick) worked.

Sugar Magnolia
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
They can do Zofran in a pill that dissolves or through an IV.

Never heard of a shot.

elephantmeg
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
phenergan or promethazine. It burns like crap I've heard but it is effective for a lot of people. It does have sedating effects though.

scoop22
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
i will have to ask the name again then. but it sounded like it would stop the throwing up. yes pedialyte has not been our friend. we hadn't started juice yet. so we are trying all options to prevent dehydration.
thanks!

tmonroe
01-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Hope your little one feels better soon.

bubbaray
01-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Hope he's better soon.

FWIW, I've heard that regular children's benadryl has the same sedating/GI calming effects as gravol. Can you ask about that??

ilfaith
01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
My first thought was Compazine (brand name for Prochlorperazine) which I was given when I had uncontrolled vomiting...although Googling it, I find it's not recommended for children under 2 (not sure how old yours is).

Hope your little one is feeling better soon.

KpbS
01-14-2009, 09:40 PM
phenergan or promethazine. It burns like crap I've heard but it is effective for a lot of people. It does have sedating effects though.

Sometimes they can administer phenergan as a cream you rub on your wrists. It works great--I highly recommend it for terrible nausea though it can definitely make you sleepy. I'd rather be asleep when I am nauseated though.

Hope things turn around very soon.