PDA

View Full Version : preschool classmates b-day parties

shancam
01-15-2009, 10:35 AM
We have 5 parties in the next 5 weeks. Sorta looking for a
"standard gift" (kids are turning 5) or any cool/unique suggestions.

Also, completely tacky, but if anyone is willing to talk $
I was thinking $20-25, do you think that is ok?

Twoboos
01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Some ideas...

If Williams Sonoma has any kids aprons on sale, I did those one year for ev-er-y-one. It even included monogram for $7 total. (But, I just checked and they don't seem to be on sale now. Sorry!)

ALso, Superfly kidz capes from Etsy. Love those!!! FOr both boys and girls, my DDs love theirs.

A game from target w/gift receipt is also good too! (In case they already have the game, at 5 it's hard to know who-has-what already.) A friend just got Pup-oploy (there is also horse-opoly) and has been playing it non-stop. I don't think it's at Target though.

Some fav cd's or books?

Usually I spend around $15.

egoldber
01-15-2009, 10:49 AM
For kids I don't know I do a book/puzzle/game with a gift receipt. And I only spend about $10-$12.

ThreeofUs
01-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I usually spend about $10 - but only because I only buy on sale, usually super discounted.

Books, blocks and cars are my favorites in this age range.

alien_host
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I try to spend about $10-15 on preschool friends, these are ones she doesn't see outside of school. If she has playdates or other actvities and they are closer friends, I'd spend a little more.

If possible, I like to get a book that goes with the theme of the party, DD is 3.5

This summer I did a Red Sox book for a baseball themed party.
This month I did an Underwater Themed book for a party at the local aquarium etc.

Or I also think board games with a gift receipt are good too.

How about art supplies? Maybe a little tote bag or plastic Stearlite box filled with markers, scissors, glue, glitter, pompoms, googley eyes, construction paper, etc?

You could buy in bulk (like the Discount School Supply place) and divide the items up.

deannanb
01-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I think $20 is high for a classmate -
$10-15 is better
for a good friend I'd go higher

KBecks
01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
I think your amount is fine, and you could do less. I love books as gifts.

Mamma2004
01-15-2009, 01:03 PM
I love to give and receive books as gifts. It's nice to include a gift receipt, just in case.

I have started giving games such as Zingo, Toot and Otto, the Cat in the Hat. They've been a huge hit with both the recipients and their friends.

hillview
01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I usually spend 20-25. Books, stomp rockets, colorforms (I stocked up on these when there was a big sale), playdough, other coloring/art supplies, a game, some kind of make it yourself kit (paint a piggy bank etc).
/hillary

hellokitty
01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
If it is a party for just the kids (parents don't have to be there), I think $10-$15 is appropriate. If it's a child I don't know well, I usually stick to art/crafts items, books and games. If it's a party where they will be providing a meal for parents AND kids, I spend more, but that's just me.

traciann
01-16-2009, 11:56 AM
i usually give a $10 movie gift card for this age....its enough for a ticket and kid pack. there is always a kids movie coming out.

hellokitty
01-16-2009, 12:23 PM
If you haven't already done so, go to Target! Their toys section is on 50-75% (although mine was still posted as only 30% off on the signs, but scanned 50 or 75% off) off clearance. You can spend $5 on something that normally costs $20 and save yourself a lot of $. :) They had a Horton Hears a Who board game, normally $20 for only $5. That would be a good bday gift for a boy or a girl preschooler.