PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: MORE RECALLS XPost - Recalled Peanut butter crackers

shawnandangel
01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
UPDATE: The government has advised consumers to avoid eating cookies, cakes, ice cream and other foods containing peanut butter until health officials learn more about the contamination. Most peanut butter sold in jars at supermarkets appears to be safe, officials said.

Late Monday, Safeway said some of the products it makes, including Ready Pack Eating Right Kids Apples with Peanut Butter and Orchard Valley Harvest's Organic Bark Peanut Butter Cookies and Cream, may use peanut butter involved in the recall and asked customers to throw them out or return them to the store for a full refund.

Meijer, which operates 181 stores in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Kentucky, said Monday it was voluntarily recalling two types of crackers — Meijer brand Cheese and Peanut Butter, and Toasty Peanut Butter — and two varieties of ice cream: Peanut Butter and Jelly, and Peanut Butter Cup

Also Monday, Kroger, the nation's largest traditional grocery chain, recalled Private Selection Peanut Butter Passion Ice Cream sold in stores named City Market, Fred Meyer, Fry's, King Scoopers, QFC and Smith's in 11 states, primarily in the West. The company said the ice cream was not sold in its namesake Kroger stores or any other retailers it operates.

Golden Valley, Minn.-based General Mills said Monday afternoon that it was recalling two flavors of snack bars: LARABAR Peanut Butter Cookie and JamFrakas Peanut Butter Blisscrisp. General Mills said the recall did not affect any other products it makes.

Clif Bar & Co.'s also Monday recalled some Clif branded bars — including some under Luna and Clif Mojo labels — sold in the U.S. and Canada that contain peanut butter made by Peanut Corp. Clif Bar makes all-natural and organic foods and drinks.

Also on Monday, Abbott Nutrition recalled three products because of the possibility of salmonella contamination: ZonePerfect Chocolate Peanut Butter bars, ZonePerfect Peanut Toffee bars and NutriPals Peanut Butter Chocolate nutrition bars. The Columbus, Ohio-based company said the items were sold in the U.S., Mexico, New Zealand and Singapore.

Over the weekend, Little Debbie maker McKee Foods Corp. of Collegedale, Tenn., issued a voluntary recall of its peanut butter crackers because of possible contamination

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090120/ap_on_re_us/salmonella_outbreak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Kellogg's recalls more peanut butter products:

----BATTLE CREEK, Mich., Jan. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Kellogg Company today announced a voluntary recall of certain Austin® and Keebler® branded Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers and select snack-size packs of Famous Amos® Peanut Butter Cookies and Keebler® Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies because the products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. No other products are involved in this recall.

http://kelloggs.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=232
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this in the recall forum, but today Kellogg's recalled their two peanut butter cracker brands Kiebler and Austin because they buy their peanut butter from the same manufacturer that has recalled their peanut butter due to salmonella. They say there is no evidence that anyone has gotten sick because of the crackers and that this is just a precaution.

Hope this made sense. nak

g-mama
01-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I heard this last night on the news. Thanks for posting this for others. We have the Keebler PB crackers (rarely buy them but just did the other day!) so I threw them out.

AnnieW625
01-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for letting me know. We have some Austin crackers in our home now. Do you by chance know when they were processed? We got our box right around Christmas as a gift from Grandma (who stock piles them) so we might be okay though.

shawnandangel
01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/15/news/companies/kellogg_salmonella/index.htm?section=money_latest

MartiesMom2B
01-15-2009, 01:03 PM
All of those crackers are made right down the street from my husband's office. I'd throw out your crackers just in case. It's not worth it.

ETA: I just called Lance (which is the brand that I buy) and they told me that they make their own peanut butter so it's not affected.

shawnandangel
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM
update bump

caleymama
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Thank you for posting that update. I hadn't seen the expanded info.