PDA

View Full Version : Help with "Hand Wash Cold" Laundry items

alien_host
01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
So I have 2 shirts I need cleaned by the weekend and both are hand wash cold. I have them sitting in my sink with cold water, can I just use some regular Tide Free? I don't have Woolite around and I'm not venturing out to the store.

Do people really hand wash all items that say hand wash cold? They are mostly Rayon. Can I put it on Gentle in the washer, maybe in a lingere bag?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Melaine
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
I usually do handwash stuff in delicate/cold in a delicates bag, but I am just unwilling to handwash. I do handwash the girls babylegs because I am hoping they will last for years.

I don't spend much money on clothes though, so I wouldn't cry if I ruined something by breaking the "rules".

alien_host
01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
They weren't expensive since I got them on sale, but it's the first time in a long time I've bought myself something other than a 100% cotton t-shirt to wear ;)

I'm so not into the hand washing either! These two items have been sitting around for weeks waiting to be washed, at least they aren't stained or terribly dirty!

hellokitty
01-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Unless it's something that is really delicate (ie: beading and all kinds of other things that may not withstand machine washing) or is something that might bleed it's color really badly, I have always gotten away with sticking my, "hand wash only in cold" in my front loader w/o problems. Just make sure you do not machine dry it. I guess I always feel that the dryer would do more damage to clothing with this kind of label than the washing machine...

alien_host
01-15-2009, 05:03 PM
thanks, both items are red but I could wash them separately or with some dark towels I suppose. I appreciate the help!

Twin Mom
01-17-2009, 12:27 AM
My front loader has a hand wash cycle so that's what I do. I even wash my bathing suits in there and I always hand washed them before. I don't dry any of it either.
Hand washing is way too much of a pain. These days I rarely buy stuff that says hand wash b/c I don't want to be bothered.

Shout color catchers are awesome for bleeding clothes. I almost always put one in with DC's laundry just in case since I wash everything together regardless of color. There are a couple of items that I know run so those get washed separately.