PDA

View Full Version : Moby D?

Ladybug47
01-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Has anyone had experience using a Moby D (Deluxe)? It looks like it comes with either a cotton woven, fleece, silk, or screenprinted panel (screenprinted panel is 95% cotton, 5% spandex). I'm guessing that the fleece will be too warm for a late June/early July baby, and I'm not crazy about the look of the silk ones, so I'm thinking about either the cotton woven or the screenprinted fabric.

Does anyone know, though, whether the screenprinted ones with the spandex in them are too stretchy to do a good job keeping the baby up? I read some complaints about the fabric of the "plain" Moby carriers (not the Moby D carriers) stretching out too much and having to be readjusted every hour or so, and I wouldn't want to worry about that with the Moby D. Any thoughts?

A friend also told me that the sturdy fabric of the silk Moby D's did a good job of containing her baby and giving her a "swaddle" feel when she was a newborn, and that now that the baby's older, she prefers to use the fleece or screenprinted ones because they are a bit stretchier and allow for better weight distribution. Do any Moby D users know if the cotton woven would be closer in supportiveness to the silk ones or to the fleece or spandexy ones? Ideally, I'd like one I can use mostly for a newborn and then when the baby gets older, I'd try to use the Moby D in addition to starting to use the Ergo carrier.

Are the differences in Moby D fabrics significant enough, or am I just thinking way too much about this?

SASM
01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I had a silk Moby D. It was beautiful and I received tons of compliments. It was very easy to use with the instruction booklet, however, it was HOT with a late September baby, let alone a June baby!!! Another negative for me was my extreme paranoid of the brocade pulls, as well as explosions/spitup, etc. I always wished that I had just bought the regular Moby for these reasons, as well as it just being easier to do several of the carries, as the silk panel is not stretchy/easily manipulated, as it needs to be for a few of the carry positions. As far as the "stretching out" issue goes, all non-woven, stretchy carriers will do this. You will have to re-adjust the baby while the carrier is new or newly washed until it stretches out...kind of annoying but you get used to it. I loved this carrier and went back to it several times ~ it was nice that it cradled and supported the baby, plus it was a OSFM carrier (HUGE plus!). That being said, for me, there was definiltey a weight limit. I definitely preferred other carriers as DD2 grew. If you like the D, I'd personally go with either the cotton panel or screenprinted one for a summer baby. Definitely check Babywearing Swap or TBW for a used one, though, as you will not be able to recoup your investment, even with a silk. When I sold mine (Black silk), you'd NEVER know that it was used and they got it for a STEAL!

Good luck with the decision. FWIW, my other hot weather carriers were a Hot Sling and a Comfy Joey. I preferred the Moby when she was small but it was wayyy too hot.

Ladybug47
01-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks so much for responding! I didn't think about the summer heat factor... I think if I go with the Moby D I'll definitely do the woven cotton so that it's as breathable as possible. And maybe I should get the brown one in case there are "explosions" like you mentioned... :)

bcafe
01-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I have this one and love it. http://www.mobywrap.com/p-16-batik-floral-moby-wrap.aspx
My little guy was born June 28, and depending on where you live, I was not too warm in Wisconsin. I used it in church a lot, evening walks, shopping, etc. Highly recommend it.

SASM
01-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Thanks so much for responding! I didn't think about the summer heat factor... I think if I go with the Moby D I'll definitely do the woven cotton so that it's as breathable as possible. And maybe I should get the brown one in case there are "explosions" like you mentioned... :)
It really is a great carrier. Great for nursing, naps, hospital visits (protection) and walks! I loved the versatility of holds and it was a nice starting point for other wraps. :) I, personally, would have a back up, though...JIC. :) A hot baby, hot mama, and hot day...not always a good combination. ;) Having the breeziness of the pouches was a nice change, with the Moby as my first pick early on. Unfortunately, the Hot Slings are not adjustable, which can be an issue with the ever-changing PP body; however, it was nice to have and the soulder flip helped when the size was starting to become as issue. Look into the sateens (or possibly the pool pouches). Seriously...check the swap board and TBW...soon.

Good luck w/ the decision. Ohhh...Brown would be wise for the cotton panel one (the weave still might be too hot, though) since explosive BF-baby poop can be a difficult stain-removing challenge, especially on light woven cotton, IMO. Sorry...TMI but being honest. Lots of clothing was ruined by BF poop. :( That being said, I am a stain freak!

Oh...I've seen a batiked one (the one that I saw isn't online) with a lighter weight fabric panel (not the heavier fabric of any of the Ds) that was GORGEOUS! The person who was wearing it was a distributor and she said that she could still easily wear her 1.5yo in it (DD2 is 25th% for weight &75th% for length and there is NO WAY that I'd be able to wear her in my Mody on my back or hip...obviously just me, though). Now...she is obviously biased but it could be worth contacting a distributor to question which one would work best for you, given your criteria. :)

Ladybug47
01-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Are the batiks Moby Ds or regular Mobys? It looks like the Moby Selects are the batik pattern, but that they're the structural design of the regular Moby (knots in front or back instead of on side; no reinforced panel). I'm kind-of leaning toward the sturdier, longer-lasting(?) construction of the Moby D, and I'd want the baby to have maximum support with that extra panel, but I'd hate for him/her to be a sweaty mess in it in the middle of summer because of the doubled fabric.

One reason I like the idea of the Moby D is the side-knot. On the regular Moby, if the knot's in the front or the back, wouldn't that get in the way, with the tails getting caught between legs in the front or digging into your back when you sit down in a chair?

Snow mom
01-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I have a regular Moby (sand colored in the UV protective fabric... I'm hoping this will be good for the warm sunny Texas weather.) I didn't look at the Moby D so can't really speak to the differences, but am very happy with the regular Moby. My DD really likes being put in it. I think it makes her think she hasn't been born. It is a little bit of a learning curve getting it wrapped correctly and especially at the correct tension to get the baby in securely. As far as where the knot is, I haven't had any problems with it. I initially tried it on while I was very pregnant and had to tie it in back. I could imagine how this would be uncomfortable for sitting. Now that I've had DD I have plenty of fabric to tie in front. I'm sure if there was enough fabric that it would get caught between your legs you could tuck the tails somewhere or tie a larger knot. I haven't had this problem though.

SASM
01-22-2009, 03:14 AM
To the best of my knowledge you can tie the knot in the back or on the side, regardless of model. The cuts are all the same ~ the only thing that varies should be the panel. Again, IIRC, the batiks are a regular Moby with a batiqued panel. Just remember, the more supportive/thicker the fabric, the hotter you and baby will be in the summer. This is a "stretchy" wrap and stretchy wraps (entire warp fabric, not just the panel) are usually not used for large babies b/c by that point you would probably want a woven wrap which is more supportive and more comfortable on shoulders, etc. Not sure if you'll use this much past 20-25#...but that is obviously just me. Don't get me wrong...I LOVED mine but when it was hot I just looked at the thing and cringed. I love using it and DD was content in it but ohhh...was it uncomfortably hot. I realize that mine was silk and black fabric but it was still A LOT of fabric with two hot bodies...consider the regular or batik or talk with someone regarding the cotton panel.

You should really try to meet up with a distributor (usually a WAHM) to see them in person and try them out or even just call one, if you cannot see them IRL: http://www.mobywrap.com/t-sale_reps.aspx I accidentally met Carrie Hill outside a theatre (she was wearing a larger baby on her hip) and we talked for a good 30 minutes. Her baby was incredibly content while she just stood there, which sold me (and I was already had an insane collection of carriers to begin with from DD1)!

Good luck with the decison. Congrats!!

Snow mom
01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
To the best of my knowledge you can tie the knot in the back or on the side, regardless of model. The cuts are all the same ~ the only thing that varies should be the panel.

I was thinking about this last night and that you could probably just adjust how you wrap the normal Moby so that one end would be longer than the other and then tie on the side. The little Moby label wouldn't be in the middle then but unless you are aiming for a Moby ad, I wouldn't worry about it. I thought that the Moby D was slightly shorter than the original Moby, but I could be wrong.

mamababa
01-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Wrapsody's Bali Baby Stretch are stretchy wraps but of a lighter fabric than the Moby (regular or D) - that or their Water Wrap would be my preference for a summer baby. Of if you are cool with non-stretchy, the Bali Baby Breeze wraps are the the lightest, coolest wrap I know.

Just another thought!

SASM
01-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Wrapsody's Bali Baby Stretch are stretchy wraps but of a lighter fabric than the Moby (regular or D) - that or their Water Wrap would be my preference for a summer baby. Of if you are cool with non-stretchy, the Bali Baby Breeze wraps are the the lightest, coolest wrap I know.

Just another thought!

Ohhh...they changed the name??? I actually bought a BBB (it is gorgeous) after feeling that I had conquered the MobyD and was still ready to wear a wrapped DD into the summer. It is a nice wrap as it is woven and very supportive. That being said, I do not know if I would have been comfortable using it from the beginning without the Moby experience. The Moby is stretchy and "easy" to use. The BBB has a little more of a learning curve, IMO. I STILL did not prefer the BBB over other cooler wraps b/c it wasn't as "popable", which for me was important in the heat. Maybe look into teh BBS. I think that stretch is important for the beginning wrapper.

Good luck!!

Ladybug47
02-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I e-mailed some of my questions to the Moby company and got this response:

All of the Moby options you are considering are 100% cotton and breathe very well. Wearing a baby does naturally mean there will be some additional heat, no matter the type of carrier. We do not believe there would be a major heat level difference with any of these styles and colors you mentioned. Have you considered one of our UV-protected Moby Wraps? They are available in Fuchsia, Turquoise and Sand and provide SPF 50+. Just another option!

The woven cotton front panel on the Moby D wrap will provide a strong level of support with no stretch (only the knit cotton ends will have some degree of stretch). That can be a huge benefit when wearing a larger baby or using the Back Carry. For newborns, many wearers prefer to begin with a Moby that has a bit more stretch - although you will get used to -and enjoy- any style. Our Moby D styles knot at the side, while the regular Moby Wrap styles tie at the front or back of the wearer, as you point out. It is possible to tie any of our wraps at the side, however, as long as you don't mind the ends being of uneven lengths.

--> I still haven't decided on which one to select... I think I'll mull it over a while longer before choosing one. Plus, our gender-determining ultrasound is tomorrow night, so that might influence my decision on which color to get! :D