PDA

View Full Version : How much for a used bike trailer?

ha98ed14
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I want to get a bike trailer to put DD in and tow it behind DH's bike. I looked on Craig's List figuring that this is a piece of equipment that kids most likely out grow before it wears out. There are lots of offers. One as low as $75 and others for $275 and $350. Can someone educate me and tell me what a reasonable price would be for something that meets my needs?

We are not avid bikers. I would just be for around the neighborhood. All paved. No trail riding. I just want something that is safe (will not come undone from the bike while being pulled along). I have no clue about these things (brands, models, features, etc.) Can anyone enlighten me?Any help is much appreciated. TIA.

WatchingThemGrow
01-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I think the Burleys have an anti-tip mechanism, whereas some of the others (Schwinn maybe) don't. My friend's kids have flipped 2x in theirs, so it was important to me to get that feature. We got a new D'Lite in 2007, and it has been fun for DD and DH, but only after she was maybe 18-20 mos. Before that she sat there and grunted the whole ride. DS OTOH has really enjoyed the Topeak seat (CL buy NIP $35!!) from maybe 7 mos +.

The 2008 Burleys have a better recline feature for the riders, so that would've made DD enjoy it more, IMO.

quinnsmom
01-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I just bought a used Chariot Caddie for $125.

AngelaS
01-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I have a used double Burley complete w/the stroller attachment that I picked up for $60 last summer. I've seen them as high as $200.

ssjarrett
01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
We got an In Step brand one at Target a couple of years ago on a super clearance--paid under $35 I believe. It holds 2 kids and is made of aluminum so it is lightweight. It can also be used as a stroller. I'm not sure if the bike trailers are on clearance now at Target, but it might be worth checking out. Ours has never tipped over, though we are not avid bike riders either. It might be worth checking out before you buy used, as you might find a better deal if you aren't needing a fancy one. Good luck!