PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here rented DVC points?

JTsMom
01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Just curious how it worked out. Sounds intriguing, but a little risky.

kimbe
01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
We looked into it, but didn't do it because it seemed to risky for us. From what I understand if you go through a person on the DIS boards who is reputable, it works out well, but it just wasn't a chance that I wanted to take. (You could possibly get there and oh, well, no reservation was made.) I am sure that it works out for most people, but we just don't trust people that much LOL!

kristenk
01-19-2009, 10:19 PM
We did a few years ago. It was a bit unnerving, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the same person again if the need arose.

One of the reasons we rented points is that DH, then-almost-3yoDD and I were going with my inlaws and wanted a 2-bedroom suite. We also wanted to surreptitiously subsidize the cost of their trip, which was a lot easier with the purchase of points.

bt0510
01-20-2009, 12:24 AM
You may want to check out this (http://tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54) forum. TUGBBS is just like this BB, but for timeshares. It's the best one out there. I don't own DVC, but Marriotts, but TUG has been extremely helpful for me. I know there is some Disney Underground site out there to talk about DVC and other stuff Disney, but I don't go to it.

emily_gracesmama
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm doing it right now for an Oct trip. I found someone on the Disboard's site, I looked for someone that had been a member of the site for awhile and then inquired about renting their points, they had advertised them as being available for rent. It is a bit unnerving, but she seems very reputable, she's a doctor who gave me her business's website. I charged 50% through her practice as a deposit, felt a bit more secure using a credit card, and will send the balance when I get written confirmation of the reservation in my name. She offered references, but I felt good about it and did it. It is a huge savings, like $4,000 less than what Disney wanted for the 2 bedroom villa. I think most people have good intentions and are honest, maybe cause I am a believer in karma and what goes around will come around!