PDA

View Full Version : Art paper?

fivi2
01-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Where do you guys get cheap plain white paper for your kids to draw/color on? My 3 yos love using pens, crayons, markers to just scribble and they go through tons. Just wondering where the best deals are?

MMMommy
01-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I ordered plain white paper sulphite paper (for wet/dry mediums) from Discount School Supply.

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=16897&keyword=sulphite

But they do have other options and types of paper that are probably even cheaper if it is only meant for dry mediums.

JTsMom
01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
You could buy the large packs of computer paper from somewhere like Office Max when they're on sale. Michael's with a 40% coupon is another option for better quality paper. Usually the dollar store has some type. I also have a variety of notepads, etc. that have company logos on them that we've gotten for free that he likes.

For REALLY cheap paper though, we try to re-use paper that only has stuff on one side- for example, something we've printed on that we no longer need. We also use paper grocery bags, insides of cardboard boxes, wrinkled wrapping paper, etc. DS isn't really picky at his age. When he wants to do something special, I pull out the "good" paper, but if he just wants to scribble with a pen for 2 seconds, I use the scrap stuff.

fivi2
01-16-2009, 02:36 PM
I have random notebooks, etc, but my girls are super picky! They won't use white paper that has stuff on one side... (I just reuse it for printing unimportant stuff).

I use cheap computer paper now, I just didn't know if I was missing out on something better! Thanks for the suggestions.

And I always forget about discount school supply (I think I am afraid I will go overboard, so I block it out ;) )

Thanks for the help!

egoldber
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
(I just reuse it for printing unimportant stuff).

Just FYI, this can be very bad for your printer.

I also mainly use the other side of printer paper. And I also have a few drawing pads that I have picked up inexpensively at places like Michaels.

vonfirmath
01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I dunno, if my kid were refusing to color on something that had writing on the other side, I may be tempted to think they weren't all that interested in coloring after all.

KrisM
01-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Just FYI, this can be very bad for your printer.

Never heard this? Why? I print two-sided often, if I can. I like my printer and don't want to have to get another, so I'd love to know more about why I shouldn't be.

egoldber
01-16-2009, 04:27 PM
When the paper goes back through the rollers, the heat can make the ink on the paper transfer onto the printer rollers, damaging them. Also, previously printed on paper is more likely to jam. Many printer manuals warn you not to do this. We were specifically told NOT to do this when I was working because the additional maintenance for the printer was not worth the additional paper cost.