PDA

View Full Version : Save me from more blowouts!

ThreeofUs
01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
DS1 seldom had a blowout in 'sposies; DS2 has at least one every. single. day. I may as well be using CDs, 'cause I am hand washing so many onesies and sleepers.

I've tried huggies and pampers in the right size and a size bigger. Nothing helps.

DS2 is 98+ile dor weight, 70ile for length. (That's 18.5 pounds and nearly 26" at 3.75 months.)

What can I do?!

KrisM
01-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Duct tape?

Seriously, how about CDs? I rarely had a blowout with a CD and then you're only washing the dipes and not clothes.

bubbaray
01-16-2009, 03:14 PM
SIZE UP and/or change brands. I only use sposies and blowouts are the sign your using the wrong size. You can't go by the sizing/weight info on the box.

KrisM
01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
SIZE UP and/or change brands. I only use sposies and blowouts are the sign your using the wrong size. You can't go by the sizing/weight info on the box.

Question for you, if I may. DS2 is in sposies a lot. We do get blowouts. He's about 18 lbs and 6 months. He was in Huggies size 3 and had a blowout a few times a week. Currently, he's in Walgreen's brand size 4 and they're a bit better, but not perfect. Pampers and Huggies size 4 seem huge on him. What would you try next?

Third kid, but the first two were mostly in cloth. I just can't keep up with laundry this time.

bubbaray
01-16-2009, 03:26 PM
I would try different brands and sizes.

For example, with both my girls, I found that after the newborn/Swaddlers stage, Huggies supreme fit smaller than Pampers Cruisers. So, I would go from a Huggies Supreme size 3 to a Pampers Cruisers size 3, then to a Huggies Supreme 4 and so on.

I found that regular Huggies and regular Pampers didn't fit my girls well at all and I had blowouts in both of those. I also didn't like Kirkland diapers much (gave DD#1 a horrible rash), nor did I like various US cheaper brands (White Cloud, Luvs).

HTH

KrisM
01-16-2009, 03:54 PM
So, the Huggies were supreme and the Pampers were cruisers. I should still try regular Huggies and Baby Dry Pampers and they'll fit differently? Would you guess size 3 or size 4? I don't want to waste money, if I can help it.

ThreeofUs
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Duct tape?

Don't think we haven't thought of it! DH and I were discussing belts this morning.

ACK.

ThreeofUs
01-16-2009, 04:21 PM

First, congratulations (again!) on your DD's FI admission! :cheerleader1: I've been thinking about you and wondering.

Second, we *have* tried sizing up. I have him in size 5 pampers now, and have tried size 5 huggies. Any bigger and he'll be wearing them under his armpits!

Wouldn't be a problem - goodness knows his blowouts are reaching up that way anyhoo - but they leak around the legs. And he has big thighs, lemme tell ya....

bubbaray
01-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Hmmm, size 5 seems too big. DD#2 is nearly 2, 28lbs, not sure her %, but she's always been around 75% in height and weight. She's in size 4 Huggies supreme and Pampers Cruisers.

Are you using Supreme/Cruisers?? I found that the base/cheap Huggies and Pampers were a waste of money, ditto other cheapo brands. YMMV, I know others here rave about Walgrens house brand?

ThreeofUs
01-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Hmmm, size 5 seems too big. DD#2 is nearly 2, 28lbs, not sure her %, but she's always been around 75% in height and weight. She's in size 4 Huggies supreme and Pampers Cruisers.

Are you using Supreme/Cruisers?? I found that the base/cheap Huggies and Pampers were a waste of money, ditto other cheapo brands. YMMV, I know others here rave about Walgrens house brand?

I'm using Supremes and Cruisers, yes. Size 4s just fit him - he's a big kid in the body, but not so long legs, kwim? Size 5s are a little big, but not hugely.

Maybe I'll send DH out for Walgreens....

Thanks for the advice!

npace19147
01-16-2009, 09:31 PM
I used Cruisers with my first and have had better luck with the Baby Dry for my second.

Maybe this is too obvious, but are you making sure the ruffled bit around the legs after the elastic is poking out, towards the leg, rather than in towards the bum? I always find that if DH doesn't pull out the extra edge then we get leaks.

alirebco
01-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Honestly for us, the only thing that stopped the blowouts completely were cloth diapers. We mostly use Bumgenius and the elastic back and legs contain everything!

Momof3Labs
01-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Regular and Supreme Huggies are cut and sized differently, so definitely try both. We like Walgreens diapers a lot here, and DS2 still has some doozies regularly enough but we don't get leg leaks with them. He wears a size 5 in the Walgreens dipes at 32lbs (but is obviously taller - maybe 38"?).

pastrygirl
01-17-2009, 02:55 PM
My son had daily blowouts, too. The only diapers that ended up working for him were Pampers Cruisers. I had to size up about 7 pounds before the next size's lower limit, too.

ThreeofUs
01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
I used Cruisers with my first and have had better luck with the Baby Dry for my second.

Maybe this is too obvious, but are you making sure the ruffled bit around the legs after the elastic is poking out, towards the leg, rather than in towards the bum? I always find that if DH doesn't pull out the extra edge then we get leaks.

Yep, thanks. Doing this. Maybe will try baby dry....