PDA

View Full Version : Any jeans recommendation? Slightly higher waist to hide muffin top?

MNmomtobe
01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Title says it all. I cannot do the hip-hugger thing anymore (too old and too much belly fat) so I am looking for a higher waist but am trying to avoid jeans that look like "mom-jeans". Any suggestions? TIA! I really like the boot-cut or flare styles.

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I splurged on Not Your Daughter's Jeans after trying on jean after jean at lots of stores. They work great for my body now! Give them a try.

Beth

hillview
01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
TOTALLY NYDJ!!!

Have found that depending on style their sizes can vary by 2 full sizes for me (I am a 10, 12 or 14!).

Try them!! They are a little hard to get used to only b/c they are NOT low rider. LOVE them.

You can do a search and will find a lot of other comments.
/hillary

Melaine
01-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Those look great, but do you guys really pay $100 for jeans? If they really make me look like I got a tummy tuck I guess it'd be worth it....

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Those look great, but do you guys really pay $100 for jeans? If they really make me look like I got a tummy tuck I guess it'd be worth it....
I tried to find cheap jeans that worked but I just couldn't. They all gapped in the back or had some other weird fit issues. I went to Nordstrom with the mindset that I would pay whatever it took for great jeans. That said, I opted to not even try on the Se7ens or Citizens for Humanity jeans because they didn't seem like the fabric was durable enough to hold up very long. I wasn't going to pay $170 for awesome looking jeans that wound up ripping in less than a year. The NYDJ are made from denim that feels like it will last.

Beth

MNmomtobe
01-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I splurged on Not Your Daughter's Jeans after trying on jean after jean at lots of stores. They work great for my body now! Give them a try.

Beth

Thanks! I have never heard of those jeans. Will have to make a trip to Nordstrom to try some on. They are quite spendy though! Does the tummy tuck feature make them uncomfortable? I am one of those people that can't stand anything tight around my waist. Gives me abdominal pain after a while!

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2009, 04:53 PM
No, they are stretchy and comfy, imo. :)

Beth

MNmomtobe
01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
No, they are stretchy and comfy, imo. :)

Beth

Thanks! Will definitely have to give them a try! I have seriously been avoiding certain types of tops/sweaters due to this awful muffin top issue. I guess I could exercise....

kmak
01-16-2009, 05:00 PM
I bought ($90) NYDJ white capri jeans. I love, love, love them. They're comfy and I can get in the floor and play with the kidies and the jeans won't stretch out.

brittone2
01-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Any other brands you mamas can recommend? I think we had a similar thread not too long ago in the Mamawear section, but I'd love more info. The NYDJ run too big for me, but I'd still like to hide my mummy tummy (I really need to do my Mummy Tummy DVD and fix my diastasis, but never seem to get around to it)

I have some old school jeans that I wear around the house (old Calvin Kleins, dating from the pre-stretch era, so they don't get all saggy around my bum like everything else does!). I wish they made an updated version of those. The cut is okay (boot cut) but the wash is definitely kinda dated.

I need something that goes down to like a 2/4 but with a higher rise. And doesn't stretch out leaving me w/ dumpy butt syndrome (I have a flat pancake bum).

specialp
01-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I have some old school jeans that I wear around the house (old Calvin Kleins, dating from the pre-stretch era, so they don't get all saggy around my bum like everything else does!). I wish they made an updated version of those. The cut is okay (boot cut) but the wash is definitely kinda dated.

I need something that goes down to like a 2/4 but with a higher rise. And doesn't stretch out leaving me w/ dumpy butt syndrome (I have a flat pancake bum).

I know what you mean about older style jeans. I actually liked that they didn't have some much stretch in them. You put them on, they fit, and they stayed that way all day.

Although very cheap compared to my other jeans, I've really come to like my 2 pair of Old Navy Sweatheart rise. I don't have a muffin top with them (I guess that depends on the size of your muffin), but not sure about the butt thing. I have a bigger booty and it'd take a lot to flatten it out!

brittone2
01-16-2009, 05:25 PM
I know what you mean about older style jeans. I actually liked that they didn't have some much stretch in them. You put them on, they fit, and they stayed that way all day.

Although very cheap compared to my other jeans, I've really come to like my 2 pair of Old Navy Sweatheart rise. I don't have a muffin top with them (I guess that depends on the size of your muffin), but not sure about the butt thing. I have a bigger booty and it'd take a lot to flatten it out!

I wear ON around the house too (have some sweethearts actually) but they totally droop halfway down my arse by the end of the day ;)

kmak
01-16-2009, 06:33 PM
By the way the website www.zafu.com is really usefull in finding jeans that fit you well.

hillview
01-16-2009, 08:15 PM
NYDJ are often on sale AND also found at The Rack.
/hillary

Melaine
01-16-2009, 08:31 PM
What's The Rack?

Melaine
01-16-2009, 08:31 PM
lol I just googled it and Wikipedia wanted to tell me about the "torturing device"

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
lol I just googled it and Wikipedia wanted to tell me about the "torturing device"

The Nordstrom outlet, I'm pretty sure.

Beth

mom2binsd
01-17-2009, 01:09 AM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304039&highlight=jeans

We had a big discussion about this topic back in Nov.

Since then I've also discovered ANA jeans from JCPenney's, not in the Jr. dept. but Misses, I just can't spend $$$ on jeans right now, the ones I got are so cute, and were 17.99. I also still love my Lee jeans from Kohl's. I wear petite length and these brands work for me, but I'm sure their regular length are cut the same at the waist.

newmomto1
01-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Title says it all. I cannot do the hip-hugger thing anymore (too old and too much belly fat) so I am looking for a higher waist but am trying to avoid jeans that look like "mom-jeans". Any suggestions? TIA! I really like the boot-cut or flare styles.

I've always had good luck with jeans from GAP :)

veronica
01-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Gap "Essential" jeans. they are the best. Higher rise, stretch and bootcut. These are fantastic and they are cut so great, sometimes you actually need to SIZE DOWN-yep, it's true. I tried them on in the store and bought a pair and loved them so much, I found a seller on ebay that sells them (in new perfect condition) for only $25 per pair. Right now , I have 3 of the same color and live in them!

Twins2000
01-17-2009, 10:20 AM
For me, the Gap Essential jeans are great (the Classic Bootleg are good too), as well as my pair of 7's which I bought a couple of years ago and basically save to wear for going out at night or for special (but jean appropriate) occasions (they are the Jagger style which are a little highter waisted as compared to all the other "premium" jeans.) I tried the NYDJ jeans, but they came up to my bellybutton and made me feel like they were MY MOTHER'S jeans. It all depends on your bodytype. I'm 4'11'', basically rectangularly shaped with a little bit of a belly (my treadmill is really missing me these days.) I also second the ON Sweatheart jeans for fit, but they do slide down as the day progresses (definitely DAY jeans.)

brittone2
01-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks to both of the PPs for the recommendation for Gap Essential jeans. I'll have to check those out.

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I can't wear the Gap Essentials' jeans b/c they totally sag on my butt and legs. I hope you have better luck with them, Beth. If so, I may need to try them again (my current pair of them is from last year).

The ON Sweethearts are so low on me that they accentuate my little muffin top. I wonder what I am doing wrong!

Beth

brittone2
01-17-2009, 12:18 PM
I can't wear the Gap Essentials' jeans b/c they totally sag on my butt and legs. I hope you have better luck with them, Beth. If so, I may need to try them again (my current pair of them is from last year).

The ON Sweethearts are so low on me that they accentuate my little muffin top. I wonder what I am doing wrong!

Beth

Yep, see that's my problem. If I remember right, you are on the petite side or am I imagining that? Anyway, my ON Sweethearts are cute for around the house but they are pretty low. If I bend over they are super gappy in the waist. And then there's the inevitable butt sag.

I think maybe I need to get back to doing squats and lunges to try to get a butt LOL. I certainly am not super thin or anything, but I have a flat pancake butt.

SOme pockets are cut kind of big to begin with, and I swear w/ the stretch in jeans, I end up with the pocket hanging halfway down the back of my thigh by the end of the day.

I think I'm asking for too much. Conceal the mummy tummy a bit, no big gapping waistband, no stretching out, no huge pockets or pockets that hang 1/2 way down my thigh. Dark rinse. Straight leg...could deal w/ bootcut. And then I have to get them hemmed. I have a short torso and longish legs for a short person (I'm 5'2" or so) so petite lengths are sometimes too short and regular too long. Apparently this won't all align in one pair of jeans LOL ;)

I just saw some recommendation for a belt somewhere...I'll have to try to find it. Anyway, it said it is totally smooth underneath shirts and doesn't add any bulk, but cinches in the waist. Maybe that will help w/ some of the bending over issue w/ waistbands. Now to find a solution for my other jeans-related issues ;)

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Yep, see that's my problem. If I remember right, you are on the petite side or am I imagining that? Anyway, my ON Sweethearts are cute for around the house but they are pretty low. If I bend over they are super gappy in the waist. And then there's the inevitable butt sag.

I think maybe I need to get back to doing squats and lunges to try to get a butt LOL. I certainly am not super thin or anything, but I have a flat pancake butt.

SOme pockets are cut kind of big to begin with, and I swear w/ the stretch in jeans, I end up with the pocket hanging halfway down the back of my thigh by the end of the day.

I think I'm asking for too much. Conceal the mummy tummy a bit, no big gapping waistband, no stretching out, no huge pockets or pockets that hang 1/2 way down my thigh. Dark rinse. Straight leg...could deal w/ bootcut. And then I have to get them hemmed. I have a short torso and longish legs for a short person (I'm 5'2" or so) so petite lengths are sometimes too short and regular too long. Apparently this won't all align in one pair of jeans LOL ;)

I just saw some recommendation for a belt somewhere...I'll have to try to find it. Anyway, it said it is totally smooth underneath shirts and doesn't add any bulk, but cinches in the waist. Maybe that will help w/ some of the bending over issue w/ waistbands. Now to find a solution for my other jeans-related issues ;)

Sounds like we have the same problems. I'm 5'2" and it would appear that all the weight I have lost in the past year has decided to leave my butt and thighs (it could very well be my lack of squats and lunges- I used to do hundreds of those a week pre ds2). My biggest pants bummer lately was this pair of Gap straight leg, black, cotton twill pants that looked fantastic in the dressing room but by midafternoon day 1 the legs were all saggy. There are at least 2 of us with these issues- I wish there were more choices. The NYJD are serving me well now but I sure could use some other jeans and pants for my rotation.

Beth

new_mommy25
01-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm in the same boat with older jeans. I have a pair of J Crew jeans from well before the kids were born and I cherish them. They are my favorite jeans ever and I don't know what I will do when they die. I tried to buy them again awhile back but they discontinued the style. I have problems finding jeans because I have a small waist and bigger hips and everything sags on me. I have some Gap jeans that are okay for day and a pair of dark wash Banana Republic for night but they are so ridiculously long and I am 5'6". I don't know why Gap decided to do that. I used to buy their pants all the time and the regular was a perfect fit. It seems wrong that I need to buy the ankle size. I don't like stretch at all and I don't like low rise. I've given up!! Maybe I should check out Nordstroms and Nordstroms Rack.

zag95
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I have had good luck on Land's End jeans, - I got a pair of no-waist, bootcut jeans that have a little stretch in them- they have a classic fit, which is high enough, but not too high.

You might see if that is something that would work- they were 40 or so.

My other jeans are from Nordy's- Caslon denim pants (for dressier work wear) and a pair of Jag jeans (black), which are pretty good. My problem is always too much gapping, especially near the butt- I don't need to flash undies or anything else! :)

I am 5'11' and a plus size, with an inseam of 33' so it is hard to find flattering, reasonably priced jeans!

Good luck on the quest!

brittone2
01-17-2009, 02:33 PM
I have had good luck on Land's End jeans, - I got a pair of no-waist, bootcut jeans that have a little stretch in them- they have a classic fit, which is high enough, but not too high.

You might see if that is something that would work- they were 40 or so.

My other jeans are from Nordy's- Caslon denim pants (for dressier work wear) and a pair of Jag jeans (black), which are pretty good. My problem is always too much gapping, especially near the butt- I don't need to flash undies or anything else! :)

I am 5'11' and a plus size, with an inseam of 33' so it is hard to find flattering, reasonably priced jeans!

Good luck on the quest!

I had a pair of LE jeans that I really liked but they aren't making that style anymore. The button also eventually came off. Not sure if they could be repaired or not. I also used to have a pair of Tommy Hilfiger trouser style jeans that I loooooved before I got preggo with DS. They were a higher rise but not granny looking. Crease down the middle of each legs for a bit of a dressier fit. I always got asked where I got them. Those eventually ripped or something and I got rid of them.

kimbe
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey Beth and Beth!

I too am petite and just feel in love with Levi's 512 Perfectly Slimming Bootcut. Kohls has them for around $30. The come up a little higher so they are great when you are at story time with the kids sitting criss cross -- your butt doesn't hang out! They are a little stretchy too. They sell them in petite sizes at Kohl's, but you have to look. I actaully found them in the regular jean part, but they had lots more petite sizes in the petite department (didn't know Kohl's had one of those.) They seem to shrink a little when you wash them so keep that in mind. You can't beat them for the price! HTH!

happymomma
01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I just went to Gap to try out new jeans. I have to say that they fit really well. I loved the essential jeans and the curvy ones. But they didn't have my size. I needed a short and there was limited sizes in short. But I found it online and with coupons I got about 8 jeans for $187. I can't believe it. Plus it was free shipping so I can always go back to the store and return any that I don't like. I liked Zafu. It was a great site to use to check out what might fit.

CiderLogan
01-17-2009, 03:08 PM
As a size 2 who's also a bit too tall for petites but definitely too short for regulars (and I hate to pay for hemming), I found some Citizens of Humanity jeans with a higher rise and a very flattering fit that I just love...and since they were from a fancier store, hemming was free. I forget the name, but the tag says something like "higher rise." I highly recommend them, and I love them so much I have even gotten over the fact that they cost more than $100!

brittone2
01-17-2009, 03:29 PM
As a size 2 who's also a bit too tall for petites but definitely too short for regulars (and I hate to pay for hemming), I found some Citizens of Humanity jeans with a higher rise and a very flattering fit that I just love...and since they were from a fancier store, hemming was free. I forget the name, but the tag says something like "higher rise." I highly recommend them, and I love them so much I have even gotten over the fact that they cost more than $100!

nak-

i'll check those out-thanks for the tip!! Not in the current budget with DH finishing his PhD but hopefully in a year ;)

maylips
01-17-2009, 03:45 PM

I also have some Citizens that are "high rise" (their high rise is not even close to the belly button) and they are completely worth it. I figure if you divide the number of days you pull them out of your closet by what they cost and they are your go-to jeans, they pay for themselves. I have a closet full of jeans I hate to wear that were cheaper.

That being said, I have a REALLY long torso and am 5'9, so I have a completely different body type than most of the ladies that have posted so far.

TonFirst
01-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I find that Joe's Jeans Muse cut jeans totally rock my post-partum bod. In as much as mother of two in her 30s can have a rocking bod.

$100+ jeans are totally worth every penny. I wear tops form Target or Old Navy or wherever else they're on sale, but wearing a good pair of jeans that fit well and don't stretch themselves into a baggy mess by the end of the day (Old Navy jeans, I'm looking at you) makes - for me - a big difference in how I feel about my appearance.

Kind of like with makeup - you can scrimp with eye shadow or lipstick, but a good foundation makes a huge difference. And for so many moms, jeans are totally the foundation of our wardrobe.

salsah
01-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Kind of like with makeup - you can scrimp with eye shadow or lipstick, but a good foundation makes a huge difference. And for so many moms, jeans are totally the foundation of our wardrobe.

very well put.

MontrealMum
01-18-2009, 01:38 AM
It all depends on your shape, but for the taller, pear-shaped mamas with a bit of a bum: I find that MEN'S Gap and JCrew jeans can work wonders; higher rise, camoflage hips. I also have several pairs of the previously mentioned NYDJ - all from Nordstrom on sale - I can't believe you didn't know about The Rack, Melaine - you're like the bargain alert queen LOL! Unfortunately mine don't fit anymore because I've lost weight :boogie: but they were amazing postpartum - and that year when nothing budged weight-wise!

My mom is odd about rises on pants (likes them super-high) and likes Victoria's Secret London jeans - but I haven't tried them myself, our body types are totally different. She has some Calvin's too, but I don't know what style. She used to also like Parasuco but I'd imagine they're all low-rise as they're super-trendy. They do have that nice butt-lift thing going though. She is very tall and thin with no butt to speak of. I am, um, not.

I'd love to hear more about Joe's Jeans as I heard about them on Oprah and that Beyonce wears them...the Honey style? I'm thinking this is where I should be looking, but haven't found thing at a B&M store so I'm a bit reluctant. I am wearing Lucky Easy Riders now but either the butt's all stretched out from my larger days, or I've lost enough that that style doesn't work anymore. They're all saggy and that's not good :(

shilo
01-18-2009, 04:03 AM
dunno if it will help anyone, but i just found the first pair of jeans in years that i didn't have to pull out the sewing machine to alter in any way. i'm a petite pear-shape and Chico's 'curvy' fit jeans have ZERO gape in the back and did not need to be hemmed. they come up to my natural waist (i'm short waisted tho, so they might sit right below the waist on someone with a longer rise). they're definitely helping hold in the PP pooch i've got going on right now. oh, and they were $50. i'm in heaven.

BeachBum
01-18-2009, 07:23 AM
I'd love to hear more about Joe's Jeans as I heard about them on Oprah and that Beyonce wears them...the Honey style? I'm thinking this is where I should be looking, but haven't found thing at a B&M store so I'm a bit reluctant.

I've gotten my Joe's at Anthropologie.

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Nordstrom has Joe's Jeans too.

I think I need to try those Chicco's ones. I didn't like the pockets on the ones I saw over the holidays (they had a flap) but they probably have other styles.

Beth