PDA

View Full Version : How long before not contagious

TraciG
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
My nephew started antibiotic's last night & we're seeing him tonight, I can't believe they're bringing him out in the freezing weather ! I have my two, one has a cold but I don't need them catching a virus now !

Is it 24 hour's or 48 to be not contagious ?

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2009, 04:29 PM
What does he have?

Beth

bubbaray
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
If he's on antibiotics, he doesn't have a virus. Antibiotics are ineffective and contraindicated for viral infections.

For bacterial infections, generally its 24 hrs to not be contagious, but it depends upon the infection and the drug. Personally, I'd go with 48 hrs. If both of your kids and he are sick, really, no one is gonna have a good time, so just reschedule.

alien_host
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I agree, what does he have? Is he fever free? Our ped usually says that the sick one shouldn't be around others much until they are at least 24 hours fever free.

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2009, 04:37 PM
24 hours is the rule for preschool.

Beth

TraciG
01-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Not sure what he has, he's sneezing & coughing, had fever last night, she saw doc yesterday & doc said if he get's worse to give the antibiotic's .

bubbaray
01-16-2009, 05:08 PM
He sounds miserably sick. I'd just cancel and re-schedule. I mean, really, not many adults want to socialize when they are sick, we shouldn't expect our kiddos to, KWIM?

Sounds like both families should stay home and have chicken soup for dinner and cuddle in warm blankets. Hope everyone is better soon!

brittone2
01-16-2009, 05:14 PM
and based on your description, I think it could just be a cold or just viral in general, which antibiotics aren't going to stop the transmission of. So if you really don't want to chance your kids getting sick/sicker, I would reschedule. If it is viral, it won't matter how many hours he's been on the antibiotics. He may still be contagious.