PDA

View Full Version : Pack my carryon bags -- please!

bubbaray
01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Am I forgetting anything? Toys/activities aside (you ladies have been a huge help on that front too!). We'll have a wheeled backpack (in a blue/fucshia Hawaiian print!) for the girls' toys/activities. I will have a LE DIA as the carryon for their snacks, diapers, clothes, etc. I will also have a LLBean backpack (to match my luggage, pink carnation plaid!) to carry all of our cameras, electronics (iPods, GPS, cellphones, possibly a laptop, though I promised I wouldn't work on this vacation) and DH's and my carryon toiletries (contact solution, etc) and change of clothes.

Carryon items
Snacks
Extra change of clothing for each person
Snacks
Meal for DD#2
frozen sandwich for DD#2 (cheese & butter -- can I take cooked chicken through US security?)
Get milk and ice at Starbucks
Ziploc bags (large & small) for ice, diapers, soiled clothes etc.
Lunchbox
bib for DD#2
Kids spoons
Straws
Kleenex
napkins
EpiPens x4
Benadryl
Motrin/Tylenol
Lollipops
Pringles
Smarties (brand of chocolates, like M&Ms)
Granola bars (box)
Applesauce
Ergo carrier
Crocs for kids
Gate check bags
Travel diaper bag (wristlet -- holds diapers, wipes case and pad)
DIA diaper bag
Disposable change pads
Cell phones
US cash
Canadian cash
Hand sanitizer
Bleach wipes or sanitizer wipes

TIA!!!

shawnandangel
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
I always like to carry on a pen and pad of paper. Other than that it looks like you're well prepared! Have a great time!

Don't know if you can take cooked chicken through security.

hillview
01-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow great list! I always bring snacks kids AREN'T allowed at home which looks like what you have would make that list.

Applesauce they may not allow you to take on as it is semi-liquid. Depends on the people.

For snacks I also suggest bringing REAL food (I bring a cold pack and cheese and turkey etc) so that they get FULL.

If crocks bring socks -- imagine shoes will be off and need something warm/clean on feet.

Bring more diapers/wipes/food then you need -- delays happen.

Good luck!
/hillary

mmsmom
01-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Remember the hand sanitizer will need to go in your quart ziploc bag to take out at security and put in the bin since it is a liquid. You should not have any problem with applesauce or sandwich for DD... I always take it out and put it in the bin as well. You can also get the shelf stable milk at the grocery store or BRU to take with you instead of buying at Starbucks. Take it out and put in the bin with your other liquids. And yes, bring more milk & snacks than you think you need in case of delays.

Fairy
01-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Do not forget socks for their feet - and yours! - yes, as all shoes have to be removed at security.

You are WAY prepared. Way. Really, really way. Wow. :bowdown:

Have a wonderful, wonderful time.

-- Hil

bubbaray
01-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks ladies. I need to breakdown the list as to what goes in the ziplock bags at security -- just liquids and gels, right?

Yes, we will all have socks on -- its below freezing here right now. Brrrrr.

Hil -- it sounds more organized than it is. I have travel lists that I keep adding to/modifying for each type of travel (winter/summer, flying/road trip). I have to do that or I end up forgetting pretty much everything.

bubbaray
01-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Is lipbalm (chapstick) a liquid for security? I know lipgloss and mascara are. I was gonna pack my makeup in my checked bags.

Anything else in the Ziploc?

Ziploc Bag
Hand sanitizer
EpiPens
Contact solution
Toothpaste
DD#2's "wet" snacks
Sanitizer wipes
Benadryl
Motrin/tylenol

niccig
01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=bubbaray;2282043]Is lipbalm (chapstick) a liquid for security? I know lipgloss and mascara are. I was gonna pack my makeup in my checked bags.

Anything else in the Ziploc?

Solid stick is fine, lip gel in a tube isn't.
I put everything in a quart sized bag, include the medicines and epi pen. The limitation on size doesn't apply to medicines like Motrin - I searched for a smaller kids bottle and couldn't find it and FIL said medicines not part of that restriction. If you're taking a portable DVD player, you'll have to pull that out at security as well. I put the quart ziplock bag and DVD player in some bag compartment, so I can grab them together.

gatorsmom
01-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Am I forgetting anything? .

Carryon items
Snacks
Extra change of clothing for each person
Snacks
Meal for DD#2
frozen sandwich for DD#2 (cheese & butter -- can I take cooked chicken through US security?)
Get milk and ice at Starbucks
Ziploc bags (large & small) for ice, diapers, soiled clothes etc.
Lunchbox
bib for DD#2
Kids spoons
Straws
Kleenex
napkins
EpiPens x4
Benadryl
Motrin/Tylenol
Lollipops
Pringles
Smarties (brand of chocolates, like M&Ms)
Granola bars (box)
Applesauce
Ergo carrier
Crocs for kids
Gate check bags
Travel diaper bag (wristlet -- holds diapers, wipes case and pad)
DIA diaper bag
Disposable change pads
Cell phones
US cash
Canadian cash
Hand sanitizer
Bleach wipes or sanitizer wipes

TIA!!!

I always travel with sanizer wipes (in case we have to wipe down tables at an airport restaurant) and I"m pretty sure you don't need to include them in your quart-sized liquids bag.

If you have room in your diaper wristlet, I'd include some ziploc baggies for diaper disposal in a pinch and some hand sanitizer or wipes. Sometimes you just never know where you'll need to change a diaper.

I'd also include sanitizer wipes in whatever bag/compartment is holding your food and snacks so you don't need to dig for them when someone wants to eat. They are nice for cleaning fingers off before eating and for cleaning reusable utensils affter eating. IOW, I'd keep them right next to the food and drinks.

My boys get bored with drinks so I always carry those tiny little packets of Crystal Light in different flavors to mix with water when we're on the plane. No sugar so it doesn't make them crazy. Just remember to buy water in the airport.

I'm sure you have your Doctors' phone numbers programmed on your cell phone or in a pocket of a backpack. phone numbers of neighbors? cell phone charger.

Do you have sippy cups for kids for the airplane? That's always important to us for containing spills.

pen and paper.

inflatable travel pillow just incase you can sleep? wishful thinking?

sunglasses for driving around once you get there?

I'm going to pm you my packing list. It might be ambiguous in some spots (like what exactly is the pink flowered bag for?) but every need I've had while traveling in the past 5 years is included.

bubbaray
01-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks ladies!! Lisa, I PMd you.

pharmjenn
01-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Your medications and epipens can go in a separate bag that doesn't even need to be quart size. Medications both RX and OTC don't count towards the size rule.

Also- cooked chicken should go through fine, but beware if you make chicken salad, since the mayo makes it "liquid"

3blackcats
01-17-2009, 10:28 AM
The chicken will go through at the airport.

The question is, will it go through at US Customs? When I have crossed the border lately you could bring all the alcohol/tobacco/gifts/random stuff you want, but you will be in huge trouble if you bring meat and fruit.

bubbaray
01-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, my issue with the chicken (its roast chicken breast sliced deli meat to be exact) isn't particularly with TSA (though that is one minor part of my question), its more with the US border agents. Strangely, we go through US border clearance while still at the Vancouver airport (its been like this for years, yet I have no idea why, though it makes getting off the plane at the destination much faster).

I know for a fact that we can't take roast BEEF meat of any sort through. We've taken chicken in our RV, but never on the plane.

Hmmmm, I wonder what they would think about a veggie dog??

gatorsmom
01-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Can you just buy something after you get past the border agent?

bubbaray
01-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Nope, that's the problem with DD#1's food allergies. We're pretty limited with purchased foods, particularly sandwiches (no mayo, can't have been anywhere near tunafish).

mommy111
01-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Chicken may be a problem at customs.
They do customs at the Canadian airport because then they can treat you almost like US domestic flights which makes it a LOT easier on the travellers because you don't want to deal with customs at US airports (varying efficiency)
For meals, what I've found particularly useful is dried instant stuff (e.g. instant noodles, instant mac and cheese packs). Whole foods also has a whole bunch of instant soups/chili that just need boiling water added. I've usually found the noodles to have the most acceptable taste. We take home-made sandwiches etc but after a number of hours, when you are not quite sure if the sandwiches are good, these are a lifesaver. Also a loaf of bread and jam. Small cereal packs.

Sandra
01-18-2009, 03:43 AM
This is a little bit off topic, but having just traveled with three kids -- look for the 'slow travelers' lane at TSA. When we flew last month they grouped together people in wheelchairs, people with small children (with and without strollers -- it looks like just strollers but all travelers with kids can use the line) and oddly enough soldiers in camo uniform with gear -- they beep a lot and taking off then putting back on boots and belts takes forever.

It was great to not be in a line with 'pushy businessman' right behind us grumbling about how long we were taking. The XRay machines were big enough to put a child seat or a big stroller through, the TSA people had special kits to check liquids and were notably less rushed than normal. We still had to take shoes off, etc.. but it was much better than being mixed in with everyone else.

Also your DVD player, laptop, etc.. all need to go into separate bins by themselves (no scarves, coats on top.) We must have used 12 bins to get our family of five through the scanner.

Have a great trip.