PDA

View Full Version : Play Yards (NOT PnP)

amldaley
01-16-2009, 07:28 PM
We want to get a play yard, the kind that is sections of fencing with a gate, to set up in the living room. (NOT a portable pack & play).

I like Kidco, of course...but that's about all I know!

Plastic vs metal?
Heights?
Features?
Favorite brands?

Hit me with your wisdom!!!!

WatchingThemGrow
01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
my suggestion: borrow if you can!

We borrowed a North State Superyard for outside in the yard. It didn't get much use. We prefer to childproof the environment and let them roam. http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=superyard&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find

Melaine
01-16-2009, 07:38 PM
We loved ours but we used it mostly in a straight line for blocking off sections of the room. My mom bought it at a yardsale for $20 I think and it is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TODAYS-KIDS-6-PANEL-PLAY-PEN-ACTIVITY-PLAY-YARD-LOOK-NR_W0QQitemZ300286833730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBaby_Ge ar?hash=item300286833730&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

hillview
01-16-2009, 08:27 PM
SuperYard was great for us. We had like 20 pieces and had 2 gate sets. Loved it b/c it could be moved anywhere -- took it to friends (we have a minivan); b/c you could make a playpen for DS OR block off an area (oven etc)!
HTH
/hillary

MamaKath
01-16-2009, 09:08 PM
SuperYard was great for us. We had like 20 pieces and had 2 gate sets. Loved it b/c it could be moved anywhere -- took it to friends (we have a minivan); b/c you could make a playpen for DS OR block off an area (oven etc)!
HTH
/hillary

Ditto! Loved the SuperYard.

jgenie
01-16-2009, 10:30 PM
We have the SuperYard - works well for us.

o_mom
01-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Here was my summary of the SuperYard vs. Playzone: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2147676&postcount=6

We liked the SuperYard, but I really didn't need it until I had two - mainly to keep the second one safe from the first one. We babyproofed well and let them roam free.

mommabear
01-17-2009, 01:25 PM
We have a sureryard and had a few places crack from the stress of folding and unfolding. We have a large family room so we just keep it up. If I were going to be moving it often I would opt for something else.
I really like the colorful plastic ones like the ebay one posted above and I think it may be more durable.

hillview
01-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I wanted to add that we kept ours outside for the spring/summer/fall and had no issues. It has been folded and unfolded but has mainly been up for long periods of time. Just gave it all away to a friend as we had no use for it now that DS #2 is 17 months!
/hillary

s7714
01-17-2009, 07:56 PM
We love our Superyard XT too. I think we have the original plus an extension kit if I remember right. It's a good height that adults can usually step over it easily, but kids have a hard time climbing it.

When my DDs where in the crawling phase, I'd plop them in there with some toys and knew they could crawl around but still be in a safe contained area. I love that if I need a temporary gate I can just snap off a couple sections of it and set it in place without having to do anything fancy. For instance when we were having our big living room carpet cleaned, I set up the gate sections by the family room door way (which is way too wide for any standard gate anyway) so my DDs could watch the guy cleaning but wouldn't be able to easily go in the room. We've even taken sections of it with us when we travel so we can use it for blocking off the bottom of stairs, wood stoves, etc. at the places we're visiting. We also now use it to fence in our Christmas tree to keep kids, cats and visiting dogs out of the presents.

wendibird22
01-17-2009, 08:45 PM
We got quite a bit of use out of our superyard. You can actually buy the SAME IDENTICAL superyard at petsmart for about half the price as the "baby version. Same thing except the box has a picture of a dog on it instead.

TonFirst
01-17-2009, 08:57 PM
We got quite a bit of use out of our superyard. You can actually buy the SAME IDENTICAL superyard at petsmart for about half the price as the "baby version. Same thing except the box has a picture of a dog on it instead.

Really?! Do they have the extension kit for less $$, too?

Santa brought my 10-month-old a SuperYard. Heh.