PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this will work? Re: selling clothes

overcome
01-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I have TONS of DD's clothes I've been saving for Ebay. Now that the selling of used children's clothes is supposedly going to be banned b/c of lead issues, I'm wondering if I should put out of season clothes on ebay now.

They are mostly Hanna and Gymbo, so they should have a decent resale.

Are Ebay shoppers aware of this? Have you heard if Ebay is actually going to ban these items?

I will post them on the BBB Swap first...maybe that would be a good indicator of how well out of season would go...btw...what will happen to our swap??!

I just don't see how this law can go into effect....it would be the demise of so many businesses!!

Any advice would be appreciated!
TIA

KrisM
01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
The clarification a few weeks ago, says that sellers of used children's items, such as thrift shops, are not required to certifiy for the new standards. I believe this will apply to an ebay seller, as you are selling used clothing.

Melaine
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
I have been under the same impression as PP, and am hoping the stupid law will not affect my craigslist reselling which is how I buy most of the girls' new clothing and toys each season....

mom2binsd
01-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Have you sold ever on Ebay? I hang out on the ebay forum Children's Clothing Boutique and quite honestly selling kids clothing on ebay, even Gymbo and Hanna is a bit of crap shoot, check out how cheap some of it is going, it's almost not worth it, even the NWT stuff doesn't go for what it used to, and the hassle of pics, listing, fees, and the new feedback system has created a whole new ebay (buyers seem to be using the fact that they can't be given negative feedback and are treating ebay like a store asking for returns, nitpicking and sometimes lying about the condition of items to get a partial refund and threatening the seller with negative feedback!).

I would check out a Children's Consignment Sale, they are held twice yearly, the Spring ones are coming up, you generally get 70% of the price you set, I make tons that way. It's a little work, but I do it while watching tv (tagging the items) and then I volunteer at the sales to get into the presale early (and have a lot of fun too!). These sales are great if you've saved up a lot

I too had saved quite a bit of DD's stuff to ebay but it's such a hassle, I only sell a few pieces like Naartjie that aren't known in my area (and Gap winter coats, they do so well on ebay-sold a two year old one for 40.00 (and it was given to me too!). I make over 300 hundred dollars at each consignment sale, I bring clothes, toys, books etc and other stuff as we no longer need it. I also buy some great stuff and get great deals.

You could also try the BBB swap or Craigslist, but most Craiglisters don't seem that impressed with name brands and will want it dirt cheap.

C99
01-18-2009, 05:00 PM
I would check out a Children's Consignment Sale, they are held twice yearly, the Spring ones are coming up, you generally get 70% of the price you set, I make tons that way. It's a little work, but I do it while watching tv (tagging the items) and then I volunteer at the sales to get into the presale early (and have a lot of fun too!). These sales are great if you've saved up a lot

I did a consignment sale last fall and it was JUST as much work as eBay, and I sold about as much as I did on eBay. In fact, I sold less, because whatever didn't sell at consignment, I sold on eBay.

KrisM
01-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I did a consignment sale last fall and it was JUST as much work as eBay, and I sold about as much as I did on eBay. In fact, I sold less, because whatever didn't sell at consignment, I sold on eBay.

I agree. I've done a mom2mom sale and ebay. Both are lots of work. I am working on getting DD's stuff on swap and ebay and will m2m whatever is left.

ray7694
01-18-2009, 05:58 PM
All my dc clothing goes to a consignment shop. I just drop it off and they do the rest. I can check it all online. I make huge profits. Do you have a shop near you.

jgenie
01-18-2009, 08:50 PM
How do you join this?

Melaine
01-18-2009, 09:15 PM
I personally feel like CL is a much easier, less stressful and more flexible way of selling clothing...I've had great luck with it.

overcome
01-18-2009, 09:42 PM
All my dc clothing goes to a consignment shop. I just drop it off and they do the rest. I can check it all online. I make huge profits. Do you have a shop near you.

I just googled this and found there is one an hour away. It is actually a semi annual sale. It takes everything though....clothes, toys, baby equipment...so this might be worth it. And it is next to an awesome outdoor mall that we like to visit!

Thanks for the suggestion!!

overcome
01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I would check out a Children's Consignment Sale, they are held twice yearly, the Spring ones are coming up, you generally get 70% of the price you set, I make tons that way. It's a little work, but I do it while watching tv (tagging the items) and then I volunteer at the sales to get into the presale early (and have a lot of fun too!). These sales are great if you've saved up a lot.

Yes! This is what I found an hour away....I would earn 60% or if I volunteered, 70%. I *think* it would be worth the trip.

Oh how I dread taking the pics for ebay and typing up the descriptions, let alone figuring the postage and mailing them out. This sale is sounding better and better!!