PDA

View Full Version : XPOST - white noise machine and/or CD?

lmh2402
01-18-2009, 11:24 AM
expecting our first in a couple of months

just finished reading the happiest baby on the block - interesting book. i don't think i subscribe to all he says, but the 5 Ss seem reasonable to try

for the shushing...was wondering if anyone used/recommended a specific white noise machine and/or a CD

i'm not so into whipping out a vacuum or a hair dryer in the middle of a frenzy...

thanks!

Melaine
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
In my experience a fan seems to work better than a sound machine. The fan just seems to cover background noise better. We have a small one and just point it away from the cribs.

Snow mom
01-18-2009, 12:38 PM
You might want to wait and see what your baby responds best to. You can always make a tape of your own. A friend of mine told me that her newborn likes the sound or running water and they found a MP3 online of running water which they put on repeat on their iPod. I'm always amazed by what is available--you'd think I grew up 100 years ago before people had electricity :ROTFLMAO:

Joolsplus2
01-18-2009, 01:32 PM
We used a sound machine for one trip we took when DD1 was a toddler...the crashing wave sound was absolutely perfect to get her to sleep. I wouldn't buy the most expensive one you can find...just in case your baby loves that free fan or running water sound, but it might be a great tool (oh, the fan is good to help prevent SIDS risk, so double bonus on that one...it helps keep the CO2 from pooling around baby's face, evidently, just by stirring the air around a bit in the room). There's a thing called the Dex Sound Sleeper that's pretty cheap for a sound machine, only about $24 at BRU (unless it's only cheap compared to the Hammacher Schlemmer ones I used to see in catalogs? I stopped getting catalogs so I don't know if they are cheaper now, rofl!)

:)

pamxch
01-18-2009, 06:32 PM
I bought a Conair one from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Infant-Sound-Machine%252d-SU7/dp/B000EXTWHA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1232317581&sr=8-2I like that I just have to push one button to turn the sound on. When my sister visited, she liked it so much, she asked me to get her one for Christmas. It's also available on the Target website. I agree with the reviews that the clock feature on it is hard to read.

wendibird22
01-18-2009, 08:12 PM
I have the Sound Spa (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=1&SKU=13630208) from BBB. It was $20. It has a/c cord and battery, plays 6 different sounds (we like waterfall the best...most like static), and has 3 auto shut off settings. Can't beat the price.

MacMacMoo
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
we got the conair white nose machine from walmart. works great for the baby. however opposite affect on me, didn't mke me sleepy but kept me awak thus more irrateble.

I ended putting all my classical/lullibly/soft music on my ipod and have that playing soft of loudly in the nursey. basically i can hear it on the moniter and he has to work up more than a fuss to be heard over the music.

ncat
01-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Our mobile came with a white noise selection in addition to "lullaby" and "classical". It worked well and we used the remote a lot. It is very similar to this - http://www.amazon.com/Music-Motion-Developmental-Mobile-Remote/dp/B00005BVK7 - but I don't remember it being as expensive 4 years ago.

The Review Mommy
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
yes wait and see what your DC response to the best. my sil gave us a CD "for crying out loud" with many different white noises on it. for my twins i remember the dishwasher and the washing machine imediately calmed them down. they would start crying if we turned it off. so it ran on repeat 24/7 in the house and DH made a copy for the car. oh, those first weeks lol... ;) my sil said only the running water helped her dd but my twins would start to fuss when we turned that one on. so it depends. maybe get a cd like this and see which ones she likes best then just repeat it. i'm glad i didnt spend money on a white noise machine.

infomama
01-19-2009, 11:23 PM
We bought a white noise CD off of Ebay.The guy claimed it was "pure white noise digitally mastered"....whatever. It worked for a while and when that didn't work anymore, we reversed the monitor so DD could hear the frogs croaking in our pond. That worked even better :) I guess the moral (as others have pointed out) is every baby is different and most will keep you guessing ;)

Naranjadia
01-19-2009, 11:59 PM
I have the Sound Spa (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=1&SKU=13630208) from BBB. It was $20. It has a/c cord and battery, plays 6 different sounds (we like waterfall the best...most like static), and has 3 auto shut off settings. Can't beat the price.

We have an older version of the same machine. We just use the white noise setting. It's taken a lot of beatings from the kids and travels well. The twins' bedroom is very near the kitchen, so it's useful both for comfort but also to allow us to do things after their bedtime.

ETA: I had a copy of the "Psychologically Ultimate Seashore" that I swore by. DH thought it was silly, but he liked the title.

I am a swaddling zealot, so I definitely recommend that "s", too! :) We had a lot of success with the 5 s's.

Charlie
01-20-2009, 09:39 AM
We have the homedics ilullaby sound machine. It has 3 sounds and 3 lullabies but I really only use 2 of the sounds settings - the lullabies get annoying and the last sound setting is a heartbeat and it reminds me too much of an Edgar Allen Poe story, which I don't find soothing! But what I really like about it, is that it has a timer for up to an hour and it also has a projector. It comes with three different discs to project on the ceiling. We have had times where the sound machine/projector did not make much of a difference and times where it was a lifesaver.

octmom
01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
yes wait and see what your DC response to the best. my sil gave us a CD "for crying out loud" with many different white noises on it. for my twins i remember the dishwasher and the washing machine imediately calmed them down. they would start crying if we turned it off. so it ran on repeat 24/7 in the house and DH made a copy for the car. oh, those first weeks lol... ;) my sil said only the running water helped her dd but my twins would start to fuss when we turned that one on. so it depends. maybe get a cd like this and see which ones she likes best then just repeat it. i'm glad i didnt spend money on a white noise machine.

We had the "For Crying Out Loud" cd and it was a lifesaver in the car when DS was tiny!

kboyle
01-20-2009, 03:06 PM

we have the same one for ernie. i used a cd with charlie & nothing with max. charlie HAD to have the cd on EVERY NIGHT till he was 3 or so...i went thru like 9 copies (about 3 a year) and a new CD player a year. i'd go with the noise machine, easier, more portable (we brought ours to Disney) and cheaper to replace :)

denvergal
01-21-2009, 11:07 PM
we LOVE LOVE LOVE our Marpac Sleepmate! we have 2, one each for our boys and they still use them even though they are 5 and 3. we even bring it on our trips and it is nice because it's familiarity no matter where we are is comforting plus it blocks out any noise from other guests and noisy cousins when we visit family! it is pricey but it was worth every penny for us!