PDA

View Full Version : Graco Quattro Travel System question

PAMommy2B
01-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone! I am new to this site and also to being a mommy.

I was making a list of items I want to put on my registry and I was wondering if anyone has used the Graco Quattro Tour Travel System in Deco? If so, did you like it? if not why didn't you? Was it easy to maneuver? Is it heavy?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions but looking online is not the same as someone who has one and has used it for a while.

Thanks in advance! :D

clc053103
01-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I had one that I registered before I realized that a "travel system" was nothing more than 1 stroller plus 1 car seat- meaning, you could pick another stroller with better features that accepts car seats and then pick a better car seat to go in it.

It wasn't a bad stroller, but certainly wasn't a great one either- it pushed fine, and had the hugest basket ever. But bottom line is, it's too big and heavy. It was hard to get through stores b/c the footprint was so large. If you are smaller, you may have trouble lifting it into your trunk or SUV. Also, DS became "too big" for it before he was even 18 months old.

Check this boards for MUCH better reccs!

PAMommy2B
01-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks so much! I will continue reading up on different strollers.

edurnemk
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I strongly recommend AGAINST that travel system. I f you want to go with a Graco, go for the Metrolite. The Quattro is super heavy, bulky, hard to steer, the whees are too big and bump into everything... I regretted getting it the first month after my son was born, I ended up getting a new stroller a few months later. The Quattro even caused me bach pain and achy wrists, because we walk so much and it's so heavy and hard to steer. Also the canopy doesn't give much coverage at an angle, and after a while everything starts creacking and squeaking (even waking the baby a few times). In my case the recline mechanism and the basket dropping mechanism became stuck very often, and I only used it a few months.

Don't base your choice on the pattern, cup holders, basket and that kind of thing, once you start using it you realize those aren't the things that matter in a stroller. Look for weight, maneuverability, folding mechanism, one hand steering, full recline, good canopy (although you can attach a Ray Shade if the canopy is not too good), etc. I also decided to set a 22 lb limit when searching for the new stroller to replace the Quattro, which weighs 28 lb- hauling that weight in and out of the trunk and pushing it up the steps and through the door got old very fast. And add the weight of the car seat and it's almost 40 lb, plus the baby and diaper bag....

The car seat (safe seat 1) is a good car seat, it's very big and heavy, but it goes up to 30 lb, so you get more use out of it. However if you're planning on using it as a carrier it's too heavy.

After my stroller experiences I now believe it's better to choose a good stroller that fits your needs and then pick a car seat that can snap into it (some strollers require an adaptor for this, but now you can make your own travel system with any stroller). Like the BB book says, pre-packaged travel systems usually have crappy strollers.

The ideal stroller depends on your needs and lifestyle, but you might want to look at the Peg Perego P3, Inglesina Zippy, Baby Jogger City Mini, Maclaren Techno, among many others of that kind. Oh, and ALWAYS try them out IRL before buying, and consider the extra weight of the baby and diaper bag.

Sorry for the long response, but I'd really want to help other people avoid the mistake I made. Most people I know that got this one, ended up buying another one after 6 months, so it's a double expense, I think it's better to spend a little more from the start in a good stroller, than to end up buying 2 or 3.
Good luck!

MamaKath
01-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Ditto to Edurnemk!

Check out the carseat board here for carseat recs. They are experts in what works well in your vehicle. Not everyone gets an infant seat, many go for a convertible from the start. The carseat could save your child's life!

Then think about how you'll use a stroller (what is your lifestyle? in/out car, public transport, etc), what features are musts (lots of things can be added on, but what things have to be to begin with- reversible seat? fabric that complete comes off for washing? etc), and what your price range is. The ladies here can help you narrow down your options from there.

PAMommy2B
01-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks everyone! Apparently I have more homework to do..:D

jenny
01-18-2009, 11:37 PM
My friend had the Gracco metrolite travel system and HATED it because even that was too heavy and bulky.

I borrowed her car seat for DD when she was born in July and registered for the infant car seat stroller frame. It weighs like 11 pounds and we were so happy with our decision.

DD outgrew her infant car seat at 6 months, so then I bought a Maclaren Quest, which weighs about 12 pounds, and we use that as our main stroller for trips to the mall, etc.

GraceH
01-20-2009, 02:27 AM
If you've looking at the Graco SafeSeat1, I highly recommend it -- I use mine with the Graco mosaic stroller, which I also love. My DS is 15 months and I have loved my 'travel system' every minute of it.

dazdance
01-20-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm not as seasoned as most moms on here, but I like my Chicco Cortina and KeyFit Carseat combo. I've been using the stroller in the winter, and it pushes well even in snowy streets and parking lots. It folds nicely and stands up. It's not too heavy for me. I do have a large SUV so space was not an issue for me. I debated and debated, but I ended up with the Cortina because of the matching color scheme, both child and parent cup holders/snack tray, adjustable handle (I like it taller than DH), decent basket, quick fold and being able to test IRL. The KeyFit was super easy to install and my peanuts seems very snug and safe in it. I agonized over the stroller decisions....read, read, read and then just pick one and don't look back! (I should take my own advice, I already bought a SilverCross in pink and black!)