PDA

View Full Version : Mattel Hot Wheels Matchbox cars Lead Concern?

mommy111
01-18-2009, 06:23 PM
I need help to know whether to return this toy or keep it....I bought a set of hotwheels matchbox cars for DS around thanksgiving at Walmart, the ones on sale for $5. Now I'm thinking of mattel and the lead concern and wondering if I should return it? Its this set here. Does anyone know if these are safe? Thank you mommies so much for your advice!
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10339832

happymomma
01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I think for me, I probably wouldn't return it. My kids tend not to put things in their mouth. From what I understand, as long as your kids are not the type to eat it or put it in their mouth that it's okay. I hope I am not wrong about this.

hillview
01-18-2009, 08:15 PM
WHAT LEAD CONCERN???
TIA!
/hillary

brittone2
01-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, are you just wondering because they are MIC, etc. or did you read something specific. Inquiring minds want to know (DS has some). I don't remember seeing them recalled or anything?

Not fond of the MIC thing but I thought when a lot of the toy testing was going on that I read they came back okay (the models tested anyway)??

Tondi G
01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
We have TONS of hotwheels and matchbox cars in our home.... my boys are all about cars and trucks etc.... I don't know what we would do without them!

Unless there is a specific recall I am not worrying about it!

ett
01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah, unless there was an actual recall on them, I would not worry about it.

We have a bunch of Matchbox and Hotwheels and most of them are actually made in Malaysia and Thailand, not China.

brittone2
01-18-2009, 10:26 PM
nak-
Back to say that when the lead stuff came up last year or whatever, I was definitely concnered about DS's matchbox stuff. Here's a link to some of the healthytoys.org testing (they tested some other matchbox stuff)
http://www.healthytoys.org/product.details.php?getrecno=7374

I was surprised. PP is correct now that I look...made in Thailand, at least the ones tested in the link above.

mommy111
01-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Just worried because they're Mattel Inc. Bought them for DS who puts EVERYTHING in his mouth, and I'm worried about whether to give these to him or just get more expensive wooden toy cars. They're made in Malaysia or Thailand, it says, I'd be OK if they were Malaysia made, Thailand I don't know because I know nothing about their lead standards. I thought I'd ask you moms in case you knew. And, yes, i am a chronic worrier (did I post in another thread that I'm not OCD :) )

Momof3Labs
01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
How old is your DS? If he's still putting things in his mouth, he sounds too young for Matchbox cars (they are rated ages 3+). Granted, my DS2 had his hands on Matchbox cars long before that, but he didn't mouth stuff much either.

mommy111
01-18-2009, 11:22 PM
DS is young, still under a year. W ebought them for him for later (I just needed a $5 filler). But now DD, who is 4, has seen them in the unopened toy box and has her eyes on them, and pretty soon I suspect her hands. And once she opens them, they're going into DS's mouth (everything does) :)

bubbaray
01-18-2009, 11:25 PM
I hid my DD#1's Matchbox cars until DD#2 was older. My worry wasn't the paint or where they were made, it was the small size of the various pieces.

Momof3Labs
01-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Right, small parts are why they are rated age 3+. I'd put them away until your DS is older - at not even 1yo, he's too young for these. There are other car/truck options for the younger set (I've seen several options at Target) that won't pose a choking hazard.

ett
01-18-2009, 11:51 PM
I agree with PP's that under one is two young for matchbox cars. These are not toys that you would want your DS to be mouthing. I did not allow DS2 to play with them until he stopped mouthing things.