PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one . . .

jayali
01-19-2009, 12:06 PM
who hates, hates, hates her Bosch dishwasher??!!

Do I have a lemmon? The dishes come out dirtier then they went in. I wash, not rinse, my stuff before I put it in the dishwasher, yet they come out with a thin film of crusties.

I hated my last dishwasher and did the happy snoopy dance when it bit the dust. My husband talked me into this very expense dishwasher by telling me that I would love it how quiet it is. Well it certainly is quiet, but it might as well be off because it doesn't clean anything.

I am on the verge of a breakdown. Everytime I unload the dishwasher my anxiety level hits the roof. I have even been reduced to tears.

Just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issues with this very expensive piece of CRAP!!!!

egoldber
01-19-2009, 12:08 PM
It sounds to me like it was not installed properly and is not draining properly. Or perhaps the filter (does it have one?) needs to be cleaned.

jenmcadams
01-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't love my Bosch...it does an ok job, but no where near as good as the Kenmore Elite we put in our last house. Everyone told me how much I was going to love my Bosch and how lucky it was in the new house and I think it's just ok

brittone2
01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Oh no!

We loved our old Bosch. We bought from a local place at the time, and the sales guy actually talked us into just going for a lower end Bosch as he felt it worked just as well (this was years ago though...maybe things have changed).

Our dishes always came out awesomely clean! It was a long cycle, but it was so much better than our previous cheapo builder's special, kwim?

What I loved was we really didn't even pre-rinse and stuff still got clean. Are you sure it is functioning okay...like can the thing in the middle of the bottom get up and spray around? Any clogs?

I miss my old Bosch (sold that house) and was actually hoping to get another one some day.

I wish I knew what else to recommend. Has it always had problems from the start?

Have you tried using Ecover tabs or Electrosol tabs? Those are the ones that always work best for us.

BabyMine
01-19-2009, 12:22 PM
When we were looking for a dishwasher a couple months ago and the sales person talked us out of the Bosch. He said they have a lot of problems with it. We ended up with a Kitchenaid and love it. I can put the most discusting things in and they come out perfect.

vejemom
01-19-2009, 01:03 PM
We have an Asko brand dishwasher (European brand similar to a Bosch) and I haven't been thrilled with it. The delicate/quick wash cycle hardly works, and hasn't since the day we got the darn thing. I use Jetdry dishwasher cleaner in it once a month, and we still get this disgusting gunk around the door gasket - something I've never seen in any other dishwasher. I'm beginning to think these high-end brands aren't worth the expense.

jayali
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM
The dishwasher that this Bosch replaced was an Asko, which I hated just as much as this one. I am so glad that you had the same experience. At first I thought I was nuts and here I go again not thrilled with a so called "high-end" dishwasher. My favorite dishwasher ever was the Whirlpool in our first apartment. I could put anything in it and it only ran for 45 minutes. It was loud, but I didn't care. I used too, and still do, turn the dishwasher on right before I go to bed.

I am hoping that this Bosch has an equally short life as it's sister the Asko, which only lasted 5 years!

mikeys_mom
01-19-2009, 01:15 PM
We just bought a new dishwasher a few months ago. Based on the research that we did, the Bosch seemed to get very mixed reviews. The complaints that you listed are similar to those that we read about and heard from friends who had purchased a Bosch and regretted it.

We ended up with the Kitchenaid and are very happy with it.

egoldber
01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
LOL! I have an Asko that I would marry if I could, I love it so much. :) It gets everything clean (and I am vehemently anti pre-rinsing) EXCEPT when the filter is clogged OR the garbage disposal that it drains into is clogged. That's why I asked about filters and drains. ;)

khm
01-19-2009, 01:55 PM
If you are getting crusties that aren't going IN with your dishes, something is wrong. The gunk is "stuck" somewhere. Beth is right, the drain is clogged or the filter isn't filtering. Could also be a pump problem.

Have someone out and check it. A dishwasher shouldn't make you cry! :)

It might be a DIY job, check online (there are a ton of appliance forums out there). Ours wasn't a DIY job. Something was wrong with our pump, which turned out to be typical for that model. (It wasn't a Bocsh, it was a GE.)

spunkybaby
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
We just bought a new dishwasher a few months ago. Based on the research that we did, the Bosch seemed to get very mixed reviews. The complaints that you listed are similar to those that we read about and heard from friends who had purchased a Bosch and regretted it.

We ended up with the Kitchenaid and are very happy with it.

Can you (or others) tell me which Kitchenaid you bought? My sister is looking for a new dishwasher. Thanks!

jayali
01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
So I am assuming by Filter you mean the little cone shaped thing in the bottom of the dishwasher. That is as clean as a whistle. Is there something else I should be checking?

I will try to fish out the booklet, but is the pump something I can check myself or do I have to call someone in and trust what they say?

I am wondering if it has something to do with our garbage disposal? Maybe that is somehow backing up into the dishwasher? If any of the 10 plumbers we have called would return our phone calls then maybe I could pay someone to answer these questions. BUT since tradesmen seem to be the only people, here in NJ, not feeling the squeeze of the economy I have to depend on the awesome free advice from these boards!

Oh and let me add DH couldn't be any less handy - so relying on him is useless.

BabyMine
01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
This is close to ours. The only difference in ours does not have the appliance rack on top. It has it on the bottom. The best thing about our kitchenaid is that it has a hard food disposer.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=95147-46-KUDK03FTSS&lpage=none

gatorsmom
01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
We hated our Bosch. Just hated it. The plates were clean but never, never dry due to some energy efficient feature that couldn't be overridden.

And ours had a wood-front that matched our cabinets. It looked nice, but because there was no light or anything to let you know when the cycle was done, it would beep. and beep. and beep. UNTIL YOU OPENED THE DOOR. This was very annoying when running a nighttime load.

Now, I love my Kitchenaid!

khm
01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
So I am assuming by Filter you mean the little cone shaped thing in the bottom of the dishwasher. That is as clean as a whistle. Is there something else I should be checking?

I will try to fish out the booklet, but is the pump something I can check myself or do I have to call someone in and trust what they say?

I am wondering if it has something to do with our garbage disposal? Maybe that is somehow backing up into the dishwasher? If any of the 10 plumbers we have called would return our phone calls then maybe I could pay someone to answer these questions. BUT since tradesmen seem to be the only people, here in NJ, not feeling the squeeze of the economy I have to depend on the awesome free advice from these boards!

Oh and let me add DH couldn't be any less handy - so relying on him is useless.

The pump is probably too enclosed and complicated for you to do anything about it. When my GE needed work, I found a GE-approved service guy on their website.

There is also a drain line, if stuff isn't draining as quickly as it needs to, that could be causing the crud being left behind.

Has it EVER worked? How old is it? Can you call the guys who originally installed it, if the install was recent you should be under a warranty period?

SnuggleBuggles
01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
We have always had problems wherever we have lived w/ gunk getting on the dishes if we don't run the disposal first.

Beth

hellokitty
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Some things to check is to make sure it was installed properly. I am wondering if maybe there is a kink in the drainage line or something?

Also, the detergent can make a HUGE difference, esp depending on what kind of water (hard vs soft) you have. I had issues with our last DW and blamed it on the DW. It turned out that it was the biokleen DW powder was causing all sorts of problems and my dishes weren't coming out clean, but with a film. I switched detergents and it fixed the issue.

One other thing to consider is how you load the DW. If you don't load it correctly, sometimes that can cause problems too.

MommyAllison
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Ooh this is not encouraging. We are trying to pick a new dishwasher and can't find a single one under $800 that gets good reviews! Does anyone like a dishwasher under $800? We were almost settled on a Bosch that CR says is $540 but maybe now we aren't...

Drag0nflygirl
01-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Being Consumer Reports dorks, we have the Kenmore (Sears) 1374[2]. I've been perfectly pleased with it, and we haven't had a single issue with it in the 3 years since we bought it. Second to that they like the Bosch SHE33M0[2]UC which is actually about $100 less ($650 vs. $540). However - and it seems the OP may agree - Bosch is the most repair prone model by far.

BabyMine
01-19-2009, 09:10 PM
We got our Kitchenaid on clearance and saved $200. Also on Lowes website they have a 10% coupon and if you get those moving packets from your post office they also have have a 10% coupon in them.