PDA

View Full Version : Winter running gear for dh

Sugar Magnolia
01-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Dh has started to run again this winter and he is cold!
(Well it was 27 out this morning and he wore shorts)

Anyway I have no idea what to buy him. I wear Patagonia Capilene in the winter but I don't know if it would be good for running. I know a lot of people wear Under Armor but I know nothing about it.

We live in the Midwest and dh likes to run in the morning. It is usually below freezing out when he goes. He also runs 5-8 miles during the week and 10+ miles on the weekends.

Any suggestions? I want to buy him some warm clothes today. He went out this morning with shorts and a sweatshirt (no t shirt).
Men!

Thanks!

tylersmama
01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Layers!

If price is not an object, buy him some CW-X tights. They're fantastic, and very warm. Otherwise, just some regular running tights, or if he won't wear tights, a good pair of running pants. For really cold weather, a pair of wicking long undies (like Under Armor) for underneath the running pants.

For running in cold-ish (30's-40's), I usually wear tights on the bottom, a long sleeve tech shirt (wicking), a light fleece, and a running jacket. Also either an ear warmer or hat, and running gloves. For colder weather, I'll wear the tights underneath pants and add another layer or two on top, usually a wicking long underwear top, maybe another long sleeve tech shirt. Hat and gloves are a must when it's really cold.

The dilemma is that you get warmer as you run, so you don't want to overdo it, but you also need to have enough layers so that you don't STAY cold. It takes some trial and error to figure out what works right for you, but if you get him a bunch of options, he can play with them and figure out what works best for him in what kind of temperature ranges. The biggest thing is that you really want to have the top layers at least be of a wicking material. If they're not, the sweat stays right up against the skin as you run and that ends up making you colder.

As far as brands, it really doesn't too much, like I said, the biggest thing is that it's wicking material. I love my REI tech shirts, and they're pretty affordable. Under Armor is good, too. CW-X is awesome, but a little pricey.

If he's going to be running in snowy/icy conditions, I would also look into yaktrax. They slip onto your running shoes to give you traction in slippery conditions. I love mine!

Hope that helps!

specialp
01-19-2009, 02:50 PM
There was gift thread a while back that may have some ideas. Hope the link works, I haven't done that before.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=307206&highlight=runners+gift

I got DH the wind boxers suggested by Caleymama (thanks, Caleymama) and he loves those and has helped with the cold weather running he does.

infomama
01-19-2009, 05:10 PM
For base layers, Under Armour will keep him warm. The leggings can be on the bulky side for some so he can try Winter Silks for his base layer. They are very warm and thin. Go for some sort of insulated running pant over the base layer and he should be good to go.