PDA

View Full Version : So annoyed with OB's office

tmonroe
01-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I just want a telephone call response. I still haven't gotten my period after nearly 9 month old DD was born. I pumped for a few weeks or more but that is it. At first I was told it was no big deal but now I have been having some pelvic pressure and I think it's time for a blood test. The wonderful nurse tells me it is time for blood work but it's still likely just my hormones taking longer than usual to regulate since the birth. That's all fine but I am scared something is wrong with me and I probably won't hear from the doc until tomorrow since today is a holiday.

I am just venting. I am very happy with my OB/GYN but I am very nervous about medical stuff and I want to get some feedback like last Friday!

lorinick
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
I'd call back. It's not a holiday in doctors offices. I've worked in many dental/medical offices. They don't give off or have limited hours today. They are likely more busy. I still nurse and got a period in 4mts. with one and 6mts. with the other. I've heard of not getting back if still nursing. Never my luck. But if your not nursing your peroid should return. I think they should examine you and go from there. If you can't get anywhere with that office. Get your records and move on.

tmonroe
01-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks Lori. I'll call again.

lorinick
01-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks Lori. I'll call again.

Let's us know what they say.

tmonroe
01-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Let's us know what they say.

I keep getting the voicemail so I'll try back tomorrow morning. I am really annoyed even if unreasonably so.

tmonroe
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I called yesterday and was told the doctor is aware of my issue but has been in the delivery room for the past couple of days. I was assured someone would get back to me yesterday but nothing. DH told me to wait until tomorrow to call if no one calls me back today. I don't want to be drastic and switch doctors because this has never happened before but I am still annoyed that not even the nurse has called back to tell me something. At least make me a freaking appointment. Something.

maylips
01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
I called yesterday and was told the doctor is aware of my issue but has been in the delivery room for the past couple of days. I was assured someone would get back to me yesterday but nothing. DH told me to wait until tomorrow to call if no one calls me back today. I don't want to be drastic and switch doctors because this has never happened before but I am still annoyed that not even the nurse has called back to tell me something. At least make me a freaking appointment. Something.

Is this doctor the only one practicing in your clinic? If not, it seems very weird that he/she is on call for days at a time. At my clinic, a doc is obviously on call 24/7, but they rotate days so they can see patients. That's just weird.

I would be pissed too. I hate it when medical professionals assume that, because they don't think it's a big deal, you shouldn't either. It's YOUR body; YOUR peace of mind.

lorinick
01-21-2009, 04:05 PM

I think you should call back and make an appt. to see the doctor. If that is the only way to talk with him and get some tests done. I wouldn't take no for an answer. Sometimes you have to take matters into your on hands especially when it comes to your health. Switching doctors would still be at the top of my list. To me it should not take days to get to speak with the doctor or the staff regarding what to do now. Amagine if you were pregnant and couldn't get them to call you back. I switched Ob's mid way through my pregnancy and it was the best thing I could have done. They dropped the ball. My health and my unborn child came first. We need our doctors to be there when we need them. To answer questions to run tests. Doctors don't always have the answers. If you feel something is wrong go with your gut.

Snow mom
01-21-2009, 04:53 PM

Really? In the delivery room for several days? I'd really wonder whether there was a sudden baby boom. Someone from your OB office should call you back and answer your questions/ get an appointment for you. My doctor has a nurse whose entire job is meeting with new patients and answering phone calls from people with questions. If she doesn't know the answer or wants to check with the doctor to be sure I still get an answer within a couple of hours. As PP said, if it is important to you it should be important to your doctor.

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Maybe you should consider a new practice- Gyn, midwife, or even a general practitioner. If you aren't pg you don't need an OB, especially one that spends days on end at the hospital.

I am so spoiled with my attentive, wonderful midwife practice that will fit you in any time and give you significant face time. It's wonderful. (not to say all mw practices are like that. Just the 2 I have been to. ymmv.)

I hope you get an appt soon!

Beth

tmonroe
01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it. I got a telephone call yesterday evening and no apology about getting back to 4 business days after calling!

Was told how I am feeling may mean a period is trying to come and I am not bleeding and the pelvic pressure could be from the pill I am taking (Loestrin 24) and the pill is the reason for the lack of sex drive. Since I have been on my off days for the pill she said the symptoms should stop (minus the sex drive issue) when I start taking it again. I told her I would rather not take the pill if it's going to toy with my sex drive. She says if I stop taking it I will likely get my cycle so stop taking my pill for a month and if I still don't get my period to call back. She also reminded me to use condoms while I am not on the pill.

DH seems satisfied with her response but I can't shake the feeling that something is off with my body (I am also known to be paranoia about medical stuff) so I wrote to my primary care physician. A great lady who responsds to emails at the end of her work day and returns all calls that day! Shouldn't the OB just run a blood test either way? A better to be safe than sorry kind of thing? She asked me if I breast fed and I reminded her that I only was able to pump for a month or so. I thought would make her say, "oh well time to get a blood test."

Since my primary care physician can run any blood tests I will just go to her. I've been meaning to make an appointment wiht her for a completely unrelated issue anyway. I mean I hope the OB is right but I just feel annoyed that she's being so casual about it. To her credit, she may be because it's nothing to get bent out of shape about.

My mother told me my grandmother didn't her period until after her fourth child. To me getting my period every month is a signal that everything is operating well. Not getting it makes me feel like my bells and whistles aren't operating as they should. Sorry so long. Needed to type before DD reminds me of who's in charge. LOL