PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What Is Your DC's Favorite Dipping Sauce For Chicken Nuggets?

randomkid
01-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I am having a little birthday lunch at DD's school this Wed - 3 and 4 year olds. We are having chicken nuggets (not from Chik-Fil-A). DD wants Chik-Fil-A polynesian sauce, but I figure I should offer other sauces as well. I just don't want to end up taking 4 or 5 different things for 12-14 kids. What is your DC's favorite?

kijip
01-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Won't touch dipping sauces for any food- be it nuggets or veggie sticks. Really annoying IMO, as I think he would eat more say carrots if he would just try a sauce.

khm
01-19-2009, 11:22 PM
My daughter doesn't dip anything. Ever. Not nuggets, not veggies, not sweets. NO dipping for that child.

My son dips chicken nuggets and fish sticks and most anything else in ketchup.

caheinz
01-19-2009, 11:24 PM
BBQ sauce or nothing.

SASM
01-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Maybe I am a freak but I LOVE mine dipped in honey. I do not know if McD's offers it anymore, but they used to when I was a kid...never would have thought of it, otherwise. DH thinks it's bizarre...oh so YUMMY! That being said, my DCs do not dip.

randomkid
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Maybe I am a freak but I LOVE mine dipped in honey. I do not know if McD's offers it anymore, but they used to when I was a kid...never would have thought of it, otherwise. DH thinks it's bizarre...oh so YUMMY! That being said, my DCs do not dip.

Not a freak - I love to dip chicken strips in honey. When I get strips at work, I grab about 4 of those little honey packets they have. I didn't make that an option as I'm not about to be responsible for 14 honey covered kids!

Seems there are a lot of non-dippers here. So, maybe I don't need to be quite as concerned about it.

randomkid
01-19-2009, 11:36 PM
BBQ sauce or nothing.

I thought of BBQ sauce, but didn't think it would be that popular with kids. When you say nothing, do you mean won't eat it without BBQ sauce or eats it with BBQ sauce or NO sauce (eats them plain/undipped)?

sarahsthreads
01-19-2009, 11:38 PM
:yeahthat: That's how I used to eat them, and how DD eats them now. Then she dips any fries I give her, shredded carrots off of my salad, etc. Basically, in her opinion, there's no food on the planet that doesn't taste better dipped in honey. (Must be because we sometimes call her Carrie-Bear?)

Sarah :)

m448
01-19-2009, 11:42 PM
My youngest son will do polynesian or honey mustard at chicfila. I'm also a honey dipper and dip my fries in anything BUT ketchup. By far though my favorite sauce for dipping homemade beer battered nuggets is a healthy bit of peach preserves with a dollop of dijon mustard and several dashes of hot sauce. It's delicious.

C99
01-19-2009, 11:45 PM
nothing. I don't think they are aware that it comes with sauce!

salsah
01-19-2009, 11:52 PM

:yeahthat: i love it too and i remember eating them like that mcdonald's when i was a kid. dh also thinks it's weird. i haven't offered dd honey yet. but i think that i will next time she asks for chicken nuggets.

hellokitty
01-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Just plain honey. If you want sauces at McD's you have to ask for them.

SnuggleBuggles
01-20-2009, 12:03 AM
I would have thought if left w/ no other options kids would gravitate to ketchup if they liked it or forgo the sauce w/ no problems.

Beth

sarahsthreads
01-20-2009, 12:07 AM
I would have thought if left w/ no other options kids would gravitate to ketchup if they liked it or forgo the sauce w/ no problems.

Beth
DD *adores* tomatoes, but would not eat ketchup if her life depended on it.

But yeah, in the absence of honey she'll eat her chicken nuggets plain. Depending on the day, location, and pre-existing crabbiness level there may be a mini-meltdown over it, but she'll do it.

Sarah :)

DebbieJ
01-20-2009, 12:13 AM
no dipping sauce for nuggets.

Now give him some ranch for his carrots and he goes to town!

Corie
01-20-2009, 12:21 AM
The dipping sauce selection at Chick Fil-A is crazy!! I can never understand
the names because the employee says them so fast. I usually catch the first
two names and the last two names.

My DH likes the Barbecue, Spicy Mustard, Buffalo, and Polynesian.

My kids like ketchup.

I prefer mine with no dipping sauce. Chick Fil-A doesn't need any
sauces. They are delicious regardless. :)

caheinz
01-20-2009, 12:41 AM
I thought of BBQ sauce, but didn't think it would be that popular with kids. When you say nothing, do you mean won't eat it without BBQ sauce or eats it with BBQ sauce or NO sauce (eats them plain/undipped)?

Sorry -- BBQ sauce if any. Usually with BBQ at McD's, usually plain at home (frozen dinosaur nuggets from Costco).

This is a kid who has been eating salsas and guacamole since he was 3 or so, with abandon, so his results are probably not typical.

skygoddess
01-20-2009, 12:46 AM
My kids will only do BBQ sauce with nuggets.

ellies mom
01-20-2009, 12:49 AM
We don't do dipping sauce. For some reason, once you introduce a sauce, the item being dipped turn from a food to a spoon and then all that gets eaten is the sauce. Combine that with the dripping mess and it isn't worth the hassle.

Nooknookmom
01-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Mc Donald's sweet n' sour. Dips her fries in it too ;)

lisams
01-20-2009, 01:13 AM

I also dipped mine in honey when I was a kid, yummy! My kiddos like ketchup.

tylersmama
01-20-2009, 01:23 AM
I remember dipping my McD's nuggets in honey, too! Wow, I had totally forgotten about that.

DS is a ketchup kid. If we don't have ketchup, he'll eat them plain rather than dip them in barbeque sauce, even if we try to convince him that the bbq sauce IS ketchup. And forget it on the ranch...no way, no how (although that's usually my preference!). The kid actually dipped his hot dog bun (alone, can't eat the hot dog WITH the bun, sigh) in ketchup yesterday.

g-mama
01-20-2009, 01:23 AM
The dipping sauce selection at Chick Fil-A is crazy!!

If you think of it, you've got to try the one called "Chick Fil A" sauce. I used to always get Polynesian, but I got Chick Fil A sauce by mistake once and have never gone back! I can't really describe it - the closest I can think of is honey mustard, but it's not really honey mustard, it's sweeter. My mouth is watering just thinking about it and my kids love it, too.

s7714
01-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Other--My older DD always puts applesauce on her chicken nuggets!

Honestly I haven't introduced my DDs to the fact that fast food places offer dipping sauces with nuggets, because most of the sauces are predominately sugar or HFCS. They get offered ketchup and that's about it.

elephantmeg
01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
BBQ sauce for DS

BabyMine
01-20-2009, 09:35 AM
My DS1 doesn't get dipping sauce.

KrisM
01-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Pizza sauce for DS1 and ketschup for DD.

Puddy73
01-20-2009, 09:50 AM
DC usually eat them plain, but last week my DS (who obviously has a wicked sweet tooth) was dipping them in the caramel sauce that comes with apple dippers. Ewww! I normally throw the caramel dip away, but DH was in charge while I changed the baby.

Corie
01-20-2009, 09:55 AM
If you think of it, you've got to try the one called "Chick Fil A" sauce. I used to always get Polynesian, but I got Chick Fil A sauce by mistake once and have never gone back! I can't really describe it - the closest I can think of is honey mustard, but it's not really honey mustard, it's sweeter. My mouth is watering just thinking about it and my kids love it, too.

Kristen,
I'll try to remember that sauce for next time!! Going to Chick Fil-A isn't
very convenient for us now.

In Texas, we went once a week. We would meet friends there and have
a big table full of kids.

Up here in RI, the closest Chick Fil-A is about an hour away. We just
drove up there this weekend. My daughter ate and ate and ate. She
loves their nuggets.

In Texas, I always had my refrigerator stocked with my extra Chick Fil-A
sauces. :)

g-mama
01-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Oh, Corie, I am so, so sorry. :hug:

I have two within 10 minutes of my house, and that's probably not good for my waistline, but they sure are good!!

randomkid
01-20-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm kind of surprised at all the ketchup dippers out there. DD only uses ketchup for fries and hot dogs, although she had a cut up hot dog last night and was also dipping her broccoli in the ketchup - that was new :shrug:.

I would love to take actual Chik-Fil-A nuggets, but DD wants these frozen nuggets from Costco that are in the shape of Mickey Mouse heads. They are about $20 cheaper than a tray from Chik-Fil-A, so I won't argue - lol!

Thanks for all the input - I guess I'll take ketchup and ranch since I already bought a bottle of it and we don't eat it. Ranch with nuggets sounds gross to me, but what do I know? Have to take Polynesian for DD - I know it's not good for her, but we don't eat there all that often, so once in a while is not going to hurt her.

BTW, Corie, the new Chik-Fil-A sauce is really good, but I prefer it with the strips rather than the nuggets. I don't like the strips all that much, but had a coupon for free strips once and tried them. The seasoning is different and I thought the new sauce was better with the strips somehow.

SnuggleBuggles
01-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Yes on the Chick Fil A sauce! They had all the dipping sauces on sample this Christmas at one of the places and I was introduced to cfs. I would say it's like a honey mustard, kind of. We all like that sauce.

Beth

crayonblue
01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
BBQ or nothing!

ilfaith
01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Is the Chick-fil-a sauce the one that comes with the grilled chicken sandwich? That's yummy.

Anyway...back to the original question...

My older son isn't a dipper...aside from fries in ketchup.

My little guy dips everything in "chup" (as he calls it...mustard is "yellow chup")...he will also dip in ranch dressing. It's funny because I loathe ketchup and most ranch dressing, and it only recently occurred to me that I might be able to get him to try things he otherwise wouldn't if I offered him dipping sauces. Sure enough it worked..

fauve01
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
my DD will not dip anything--she prefers plain.

well she did really enjoy the mcdonald's carmel sauce she got once with apple slices. she'd definitely dip EVERYTHING in that if she could get it. LOL

She used to like dipping lots of food (nuggest, carrots, garden burger) in hummus, but she won't anymore.

Anne + DD 10-03

DrSally
01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Only pure honey! I don't know why Wendy's "honey" had HFCS?

ETA: I like sweet and sour, but stay away from that and BBQ in case it has mustard for DS (allergy). Also, he doesn't like it. Too "spicy"

DrSally
01-20-2009, 01:25 PM

McDonalds offers pure honey, it's just not one of their official nugget dipping sauces. They usually give me several packs. I bet they mostly use it for their biscuits in the morning.

hellokitty
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Only pure honey! I don't know why Wendy's "honey" had HFCS?

ETA: I like sweet and sour, but stay away from that and BBQ in case it has mustard for DS (allergy). Also, he doesn't like it. Too "spicy"

Yeah, I never get the, "honey" at Wendy's either. It's all fake with HFCS in it! I find it difficult to understand how they can even get away calling it honey.

Fairy
01-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I voted "other" cuz the answer is none. He's not into dips. One of the few kids I know, but he does't get near anything you could remotely used as a dip other than salsa. Unless you could applesauce, which he puts on everything. Hmm.

s7714
01-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Unless you could applesauce, which he puts on everything. Hmm.

LOL, glad to know there's another applesauce fiend around! My DD just adores applesauce on her chicken nuggets and grilled cheese sandwiches. Oh and Pirate Booty dipped in applesauce. :rolleye0014: My younger DD is beginning to be quite taken with applesauce too, but is only eating it straight up for now (even if it is with every meal).

s7714
01-20-2009, 04:01 PM
This thread is making me hungry for chicken nuggets! I might have to try dipping them in honey--that sounds good!

Octobermommy
01-20-2009, 04:07 PM
BBQ, hands down

Bens Momma
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Plain honey for both DCs, yum!!

Asianmommy
01-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Sweet and sour...always!