PDA

View Full Version : Action Baby Carrier and other structured back carriers

american_mama
01-20-2009, 01:41 AM
I want something to do back carries with and wondered what people know about Action Baby Carrier. I tried one on at a local store today and liked it, but wanted to hear a downside, if there is one. I searched the forum and found only two mentions of the carrier.

I'm not too experienced with carriers, although I occasionally use a KKAFP or a Reverend Jan ring sling. I have a Kozy but it apparently has XL straps (or XXXXL) and I can't figure out how to use it. EVen if I do, I'm not loving the tieing thing.

My son is 9 months, small, and this is my last kid, so I don't need anything for a newborn. I wear him for my convenience (while cooking, grocery shopping), not as a regular babyweraing thing, so I don't need hours and hours of comfort.

My limited experience with the Ergo is that the fabric is rough and the whole thing too stiff. The Beco looks interesting, not that I can totally figure out which model is which. Catbird Baby seems to have the major appeal of being able to face out, which doesn't seem critical to my baby and less comfy for me. I've also just discovered another strucutured carrier whose name is escaping me now... frogmama.com sells them. Those four , plus Action Baby, are all I know in that dept. Am I missing any?

They are experts at my local store, with a wide selection of options, so I can get good advice and choices there, but really wanted to hear more here. The Action Baby is a lot cheaper than the others.

ang79
01-21-2009, 11:54 AM
I have a green action baby carrier that I got for the new baby. Before baby came I did test it out with my 2 yr. old in a back carry and found it very comfy and easy to use. Haven't tried it with the new baby yet, as she is only 8 wks. and I've mainly been using a pouch or mei tai.

There are lots of good reviews for the action baby at thebabywearer.com. You may be able to find a slightly used one there for a good price, or do a good search online. Over the holidays I saw a lot of online retailers clearancing some of the older prints for much cheaper than the $71 I paid for mine on the FSOT board at the babywearer.

Good luck!
Angie

mamababa
01-23-2009, 06:04 PM
The ABC is generally well -reviewed! I haven't heard down sides really. You might want to check thebabywearer.com - they have a reviews section...