PDA

View Full Version : 2 More BF Questions

L'sMommy
01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi All - I have 2 more questions. DS is 8 days old.

First, after I feed DS the hardness on the sides and top of my breasts goes away, but the bottom of my breast remains hard. Is this normal? Am I risking a clogged duct if the hardness remains? If so, how do I get rid of it without screwing up milk supply?

Second, someone (we had so many nurses giving us advice at the hosp so I don't remember who it was) told us that during the night not to let him sleep more than 5 hrs without feeding. That we need to wake him up. Well, the last 2 nights he slept 6 hrs between feeds (I know, I feel terrible). How bad is this? Starting tonight I'm going to set the alarm so I can wake him up if he doesn't wake up on his own (I'm a pretty heavy sleeper so I can sleep straight thru the night).

Tondi G
01-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I think one way you can attempt to get the hardness to go away is by changing position.... have you tried a football hold to nurse? Is the harness hurting or uncomfortable to you?

About the sleep. If he is nursing every 2 to 3 hours during the day and is gaining and having enough wet and poopy diapers I "personally' would let him sleep the 6 hours! You are lucky he doesn't have his days and nights mixed up at this point! He was full term right? If so and if he is waking and eating frequently during the day I wouldn't mess with the night time... sleep is precious and they do lots of their growing when they sleep! It could change so enjoy the block of sleep while you can!

egoldber
01-20-2009, 12:45 PM
I was told no longer than 4 hours at night until breastfeeding was well established (6-8 weeks).

The hardness remaining is common. If it were me, to avoid plugged ducts, I would try and massage the area and hand express a little to get rid of the hardness. But that is normal and will eventually go away as your gets established and adjusts to your baby's demand.

brittone2
01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd still wake a child that is that young. They don't always arouse themselves enough to know they are hungry and need to eat at that age, and night nursing is really helpful to building supply.

We usually didn't go over 4 hours with either child.

ahrimie
01-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I was told 4 hours until 2 months too... but I know lots of veteraned moms who don't follow that rule. I did wake my babe to feed her and looking back, I'm not sure it was necessary. Over 24 hours though, they should eat at least 8-12 times.

brittone2
01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
The other thing is, I was more relaxed about it as time went on, but I'd want to make sure baby was not going too long without nursing to make sure that dc was gaining well (regained birth weight plus some extra), and that there was no jaundice causing too much sleepiness, etc. in such a newborn...kwim? An 8 day old is still so young. I relaxed more as the weeks went by, that was only once my little ones were becoming super chunks and had regained back to their birthweight plus some extra, and BFing was well-established.

hez
01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I agree with Beth-- do some massage as your DS nurses and see if that helps. Otherwise, change positions when you think to do it. I rotated between football & cross-cradle at that age.

I checked my records-- second time around I didn't wake DD at night, but she didn't go more than 4-5 hours 'til she was nearly 6 weeks old. I'd wake him to nurse if he tries to sleep more than 5.

KrisM
01-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I woke them at about 5 hours until at least 6 weeks.

Wish I had that problem now :).

mom2224
01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
At 8 days old I would wake him if he goes past 4 hours until he is 6-8 weeks old. To reiterate what pp have said- you risk elevated bilirubin levels that young and it causes sleepiness.

DS had jaundice- didn't open his eyes for almost 2 weeks! Looking back it was hard to see. His only symptom was sleepiness. I woke him to keep his intake up and flush the bilirubin out of his immature liver.

Have you had your 1 week well checkup? What did your Ped say?

Snow mom
01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
My ped told me that I didn't need to wake DD when we first met with him when she was 4 days old. She started really sleeping through the night at two weeks. I was a bit worried about how it would affect my supply but he wasn't worried about her sleeping too much health-wise. She has been gaining weight really well and sleeps 8-9 hours a night now. I pay for it by feeding a fair amount of the day. As PP have said, they still need to eat 8-12 times a day. BTW, my ped also told me there was no need to count diapers. He said this is just something they tell parents to do to make them feel like they have something to do/ worry about.

L'sMommy
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Pediatrician said wake him every 4-5 hrs. We didn't realize he'd keep sleeping for 6 hrs!! As I said, I'll start setting my alarm tonight to ensure he wakes up.

L'sMommy
01-20-2009, 03:36 PM
also, did you all pump once a day to see how much you were producing? Pediatrician didn't say anything about this because she said he will suck more than the pump. My baby nurse is telling me it's a good idea to pump to see how much he's getting because he tends to fall asleep while feeding so he may not be getting enough. I hate pumping so I am not inclined to do it. We're going back to the pediatrician on thursday so i'll see what she says.

egoldber
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
My baby nurse is telling me it's a good idea to pump to see how much he's getting

Your baby nurse is incorrect. If you pump a large amount, that is an indicator of a good supply. However, not being able to pump a large amount is NOT an indicator of poor supply. Your ped is right and a baby is almost always more efficient than a pump. I would just nurse on demand (going no longer than 3 hours during the day and 4/5 at night at this age) and see what the weight gain is like on Thursday. A better indicator of how much a baby gets nursing is to weigh before and after nursing using a digital baby scale.

And remember it is NORMAL for babies to take a full 2 weeks to regain their birthweight.

brittone2
01-20-2009, 03:54 PM
also, did you all pump once a day to see how much you were producing? Pediatrician didn't say anything about this because she said he will suck more than the pump. My baby nurse is telling me it's a good idea to pump to see how much he's getting because he tends to fall asleep while feeding so he may not be getting enough. I hate pumping so I am not inclined to do it. We're going back to the pediatrician on thursday so i'll see what she says.

PUmping is a notoriously bad measure of your output. I promise. Especially this early on :)

A pump doesn't vary its sucking like a baby does to trigger a letdown. You don't get the same hormonal response to a pump that you do to your baby...that cozy, lovey, emotionally attached feeling really helps your milk let down...most of us don't have that response to a pump, to say the least.

Most babies do fall asleep while nursing. When DS (my first child) was small, he would tank up in like 5 mins and fall asleep. I assumed this wasn't enough and was always using stuff to wake him (at the advice of my lactation consultant, etc.)...cool washcloths, undressing him, changing holds often, etc. It was a pain! I eventually figured out that I have a super overactive letdown, so he was totally tanking up in 5 mins. Every baby is different. Some babies do need to be woken up a bit to nurse longer...particularly if they are jaundiced (DS was, which is why they had me waking him at first), or aren't starting to work toward gaining back their birth weight, etc.

Watch your baby's wet diapers and poopy diapers. If baby is peeing/pooping plenty, I'd trust that over a pump any day. Some women (especially as early into BFIng as youare!!) are never good pumpers, but that doesn't mean they don't have a good supply.

I do think it isn't a bad idea to tickle feet, undress baby a bit, etc. a little if the baby is regularly falling asleep very quickly into a nursing session, especially since he's only 8 days old. Once you see he's gaining fine or regains his birthweight, I wouldn't worry quite as much. If baby is falling asleep at the breast quickly, I'd also recommend being open to the idea of baby nursing more frequently throughout the day (be sure to try to feed on demand) and not going too long at night without nursing.

amldaley
01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
They didn't even have me wake dd in the hospital to nurse. As pp's have said, if nursing is going well, LO is nursing every 2-3 hours (timed start to start, not finish to start) throughout the day, 6 hours is a blessing!

As for the hard and full ducts, try supporting your breast with your hand underneath and to the side and gently massaging or pressing while nursing.

kijip
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I have a baby under 7 pounds so I have to wake him every 3 hours or so. My supply is noticeably affected the couple of times I slept through 4-5 hours with him. Luckily, I seem to be able to catch up quickly.

SnuggleBuggles
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I never was told to wake either baby. I went with the idea that I was looking for 8-12 feedings in 24 hours vs eating at specific intervals during the 24 hours. Both of my boys cluster fed all evening long and go in their 8+ feedings before bedtime. I am of the mindset if baby is healthy and full term to let them sleep. Of course, with the exception of the first few night they didn't sleep longer than 4 hours so it was a non issue. :)

Beth