PDA

View Full Version : The Oath

ThreeofUs
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
In case other folks are interested, here's the transcript of the oath, from http://blogs.abcnews.com/legalities/2009/01/chief-justice-f.html

ROBERTS: Are you prepared to take the oath, Senator?
OBAMA: I am.
ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama...
OBAMA: I, Barack...
ROBERTS: ... do solemnly swear...
OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear...
ROBERTS: ... that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully...
OBAMA: ... that I will execute...
ROBERTS: ... faithfully the office of president of the United States...
OBAMA: ... the office of president of the United States faithfully...
ROBERTS: ... and will to the best of my ability...
OBAMA: ... and will to the best of my ability...
ROBERTS: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
OBAMA: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
ROBERTS: So help you God?
OBAMA: So help me God.
ROBERTS: Congratulations, Mr. President.

The oath is supposed to go:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

vejemom
01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
NBC reports that Chief Justice Roberts did not use his notes, and therefore got the syntax a bit wrong.

KBecks
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
No big deal.

deannanb
01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
NBC reports that Chief Justice Roberts did not use his notes, and therefore got the syntax a bit wrong.

this was the similar report on ABC too -

ellies mom
01-20-2009, 05:34 PM
I honestly, truely hope it is no big deal. It isn't to me, but with the people (not necessarily on this board but on two other boards I read) who are still convinced he isn't a natural born citizen for whatever reason, I can see people claiming he isn't legally the president because the oath was not the "right" one. I really hope that isn't the case (the complaining) but we'll see.

Fairy
01-20-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm one of the few, too, that think the botching of the oath by Roberts is a big deal. I don't think it impacts on whether or not he's President; he is. But that botching? Not ok with me.

elektra
01-20-2009, 05:48 PM
I honestly, truely hope it is no big deal. It isn't to me, but with the people (not necessarily on this board but on two other boards I read) who are still convinced he isn't a natural born citizen for whatever ever reason, I can see people claiming he isn't legally the president because the oath was not the "right" one. I really hope that isn't the case but we'll see.

Oh jeez. I hadn't even thought of that. Well if that is the case I'm sure they can just do it over behind closed doors or something to get it right if it even matters. Yah, lame that Roberts screwed it up.
But Obama dealt with it gracefully, and Michele had a confident smile like, "nothing phases my husband!" If it was me you would have seen a sneery "WTF?"

Moneypenny
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I honestly, truely hope it is no big deal. It isn't to me, but with the people (not necessarily on this board but on two other boards I read) who are still convinced he isn't a natural born citizen for whatever ever reason, I can see people claiming he isn't legally the president because the oath was not the "right" one. I really hope that isn't the case but we'll see.

According to Jim Lehrer, he (Obama, not Lehrer ;) )technically becomes president at Noon whether he takes the oath or not, so I feel very confident that it doesn't matter.

Sillygirl
01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Obama won the election (popular and electoral) with a pretty thumping majority. Anyone who wants to discard those uncontested results because of a technicality in the oath, or an outdated interpretation of what constitues a natural born citizen, has a fair amount of contempt for democracy, IMO.

LarsMal
01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Brian Williams also reported that, botched or not, Obama is officially the president.

mamaoftwins
01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
But Obama dealt with it gracefully, and Michele had a confident smile like, "nothing phases my husband!" If it was me you would have seen a sneery "WTF?"

I agree! Obama looked so graceful - just a pause that said, "Hmmm ... that's not correct, let's try it again".

I'm so hopeful for the next few yrs!

LarsMal
01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm one of the few, too, that think the botching of the oath by Roberts is a big deal. I don't think it impacts on whether or not he's President; he is. But that botching? Not ok with me.

Interesting that a few minutes before he took the oath they were commenting on how Roberts would be administering the oath to someone who did not support his appointment. I hope it was more of a "crap, I thought I could do this without my notes" than a sabotage!

mamaoftwins
01-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Interesting that a few minutes before he took the oath they were commenting on how Roberts would be administering the oath to someone who did not support his appointment. I hope it was more of a "crap, I thought I could do this without my notes" than a sabotage!

It definitely seemed like an honest mistake to me. The way Roberts spoke and reacted, seemed genuine.

LarsMal
01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
It definitely seemed like an honest mistake to me. The way Roberts spoke and reacted, seemed genuine.

Oh, I agree, I was just sayin' ;)

It looked to me like they were both caught up in a tongue-tied "doh"!!

mamaoftwins
01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Oh, I agree, I was just sayin' ;)

Yep, I knew what you were saying. ;)

That's the only part of the inauguration coverage that I watched, so it definitely would have been nicer (for me!) to see a nice, smooth oath.

vejemom
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
My DH had some business contact with Roberts before he became the Chief Justice, and has nothing but good things to say about him. While I may not agree with all of his opinions, I think Roberts is an honorable man and meant no harm. PRobably just thought it would look better if he was making eye contact rather than having his nose buried in a piece of paper. I think I would lose it once I realized I was in front of that many people! :D

niccig
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I thought I heard on the TV this morning that this isn't the first time the oath has been botched? But I didn't hear by who. Does anyone know?

Edit. Here it is.
Chief Justice William Howard Taft, who had been President himself, also flubbed the oath when he was swearing in Herbert Hoover in 1929. When Taft administered the oath, he said, "preserve, maintain and defend the Constitution," instead of "preserve, PROTECT, and defend." So where Roberts flipped a couple of words, Taft substituted an entirely new one

So, it's not the first time the oath has been flubbed.

ThreeofUs
01-20-2009, 07:37 PM
But that botching? Not ok with me.

Gotta admit, I would be a little peeved to have had my oath of office fumbled in front of a couple of people, let alone an entire world watching.

;)

But I thought both Obama (who had such a nice, almost amused expression on his face during the fumble) and Roberts recovered well.

tarabenet
01-20-2009, 07:49 PM

I agree. Heck, *I* can recite the oath. The Supreme Court is supposed to interpret the Constitution. I think that knowing what is in the document is the squeaking-by-bare minimum we should be able to expect from the Chief Justice. I'm inclined to wonder if he did it on purpose, knowing that most people never bothered to read it and would think it was Obama that messed up. Nice way to retaliate against someone who thought you sere unfit for the job. That or proof positive that the someone was right. Unforgivably stupid, either way.

vludmilla
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I honestly, truely hope it is no big deal. It isn't to me, but with the people (not necessarily on this board but on two other boards I read) who are still convinced he isn't a natural born citizen for whatever reason, I can see people claiming he isn't legally the president because the oath was not the "right" one. I really hope that isn't the case (the complaining) but we'll see.

I hope it isn't a big deal but, for the record, Obama did say it correctly. It was Roberts who said it incorrectly.

KrisM
01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
I hope it isn't a big deal but, for the record, Obama did say it correctly. It was Roberts who said it incorrectly.

If you read the transcript above, Obama ended up repeating what Roberts said. He didn't "fix" it and say it correctly.

kijip
01-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I sincerely doubt this is anything but an honest mistake on Roberts part.

As for the nutjobs claiming this means we have a constitutional crisis and he is not president...what did we expect? These are the same people seemingly unaware that babies born in a new US state with a US mother are in fact citizens. They can't exactly be expected to get it sane/right...they are not firing on all cylinders. The other Katie is right, they have little respect for democracy.

Fairy
01-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I really don't think Roberts is the kind of person to do that. Honest mistake, i really think so. I don't like it, but I don't believe it was malicious. My least favorite of the Justices are Thomas and Scalia, but no way would I think this even of them.

MamaKath
01-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Heck, *I* can recite the oath.

I guess it makes me think a bit of a gameshow. You know how people always do better at home than in front of the audience. I might be able to recite it outside of that setting, but I think that huge crowd might cause most people to stumble a bit.

squimp
01-21-2009, 02:46 AM
I can see why Roberts may have been a little mixed up though - a recent federal court case involved potentially changing the oath to remove the words 'under God', and also preventing ministers from speaking at the inauguration. The case is not settled as of last week, but the judge didn't prevent Obama from saying it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28663712/

infomama
01-21-2009, 03:04 AM
According to Jim Lehrer, he (Obama, not Lehrer ;) )technically becomes president at Noon whether he takes the oath or not, so I feel very confident that it doesn't matter.

Correct. The 20th Amendment to the Constitution specifies that the terms of office of the president and vice president "shall end at noon on the 20th day of January" and adds that "the terms of their successors shall then begin."

MamaMolly
01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh geez, my nutcase of an uncle is one of those die-hard Obama haters who is CONVINCED that he is not an American citizen and is spamming us regularly (at least once a day) about it. Now he's got THIS to get his knickers in a twist over. I'm sure this afternoon I'll be reading all about how he isn't 'really' the President. In spite of winning the election, you know?? Sheesh, and here I thought he'd shut up for a while. Oh well....

daniele_ut
01-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I agree. Heck, *I* can recite the oath. The Supreme Court is supposed to interpret the Constitution. I think that knowing what is in the document is the squeaking-by-bare minimum we should be able to expect from the Chief Justice. I'm inclined to wonder if he did it on purpose, knowing that most people never bothered to read it and would think it was Obama that messed up. Nice way to retaliate against someone who thought you sere unfit for the job. That or proof positive that the someone was right. Unforgivably stupid, either way.

Yes, but could you recite it in front of a live audience of millions and a television audience approaching a billion? I truly believe that he was just nervous and flubbed it. I work in live television and you'd be surprised how many veteran actors flub memorized lines multiple times.

I really don't expect all of the Supreme court justices to have the Constitution memorized, whether they share my political leanings or not.

KBecks
01-21-2009, 02:29 PM

Ouch.

I think it was an honest mistake, and should be forgiven.

And I don't think Roberts is stupid. at. all.

elektra
01-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Oh geez, my nutcase of an uncle is one of those die-hard Obama haters who is CONVINCED that he is not an American citizen and is spamming us regularly (at least once a day) about it. Now he's got THIS to get his knickers in a twist over. I'm sure this afternoon I'll be reading all about how he isn't 'really' the President. In spite of winning the election, you know?? Sheesh, and here I thought he'd shut up for a while. Oh well....

Are you one of DH's cousins? ;) My FIL is the exact same way. I just hope I am out of range when he goes off at the next family gathering!

mommylamb
01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't like Roberts, but I think it was totally an honest mistake, and it doesn't matter one iota. If anything, I think it made them both look really human and kind of nervous. I thought it was kind of sweet.