PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for first-time children's portraits?

gatorsmom
01-20-2009, 06:21 PM
I've never done family portraits before, I always took pictures myself. But it's getting harder and harder to get all 4 kids to remain looking cute and at the camera at the same time. I was hoping to get a picture of the kids all together since they are at such a cute age. But I have never done this before and wanted to know if you guys have any advice.

Also, I have coupons for Target and JCPenneys. Is there a difference in quality between the 2 stores IYO, because the coupon for JcP only allows for an $8 package + first sitting fee free (and I have 4 kids). But Target offers a $9 package (the packages are comparable) + zero sitting fees.

Any advice other than be prepared for meltdowns and runny noses, etc?

o_mom
01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Well... the $8/9 packages are for one pose. That means all the pictures will be the same pose. If you want multiple poses, then you should go for individual sheets - $2-4 each depending on the coupon. You don't have to decide ahead of time, so if you only get one good picture, then the package is a great deal. If you have several you like, go for the individual sheets. Unlike some other place, Target and JCP let you pick which pose to get a package of - I think Walmart you have to take the first one that you accept, which is really bad trying to decide if this one is good enough or delete it and risk not getting a better one, etc.

If you are thinking this will be a one time thing or even just once a year or less, then go with Target for the free sitting fee. If you want to do more than that, then both places have portrait clubs you can join for around $30 for two years. With JCP you get free sitting fees (unlimited number of people). With Target you get $1 off each sheet. Both also have other benefits - like 50% the really expensive framed portrait (one time use), etc, but we rarely use those things - just the basic stuff.

Dress them when you get there - the older ones you can just change shirts. Wipes for faces, etc. Try to book a non-busy time if you can - no Saturday mornings.

tylersmama
01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
I've been going to JCP since DS was 3 months old and have always been very happy. Like o_mom said, if you want more than one pose, the best deal is always the $3 portrait sheets. I would probably go ahead and get the portrait club, too, especially if you think you'll go again in the next two years. You get other discounts, too, like their smilesbywire (putting the pics on the internet for 90 days) free one time, which usually costs $5.

Target and JCPenney are actually managed by the same company (Lifetouch), but for some reason, I think the JCP portraits are a little higher quality.

WatchingThemGrow
01-20-2009, 07:30 PM
not sure where you are in in Minnesota, but Portrait Innovations would be my choice for taking several children. http://www.portraitinnovations.com/find_a_location.html?zip=&state_abbr=MN&_action=Submit

Other places, IME, have one person running the studio, but at PI, there are multiple photographers, and the can help "man" everyone if you give them a heads-up about it.

Melaine
01-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Portrait Innovations has a great price usually once a season. Last time I was totally unimpressed with the photographer though. They basically had me do all the work aside from clicking the camera....

Professional pictures give me anxiety attacks though...

DrSally
01-20-2009, 11:31 PM
IMO, you'll get the best deal at JCPenny if you spend the $20-$30 for the 2 year membership. It gets you free sitting fees for 2 years + a couple other extras. Yes, bring the coupons, either get $3.99 for a traditional sheet OR $7.99 for a package. You have to choose either one, can't get those prices for both. I usually do 3.99 sheets b/c I want a lot of poses. If you have only a few poses to choose from, then the $7.99 is a good deal. Watch out for enhancements, sepia/b&w or fuzzy borders, which cost a lot extra. I also totally skip the collages they put together, they cost a lot more too. I just go with the traditional 3.99 portrait sheets. It helps to have DH there to distract the kids while you go through your photos and options, b/c it's really hard to concentrate otherwise. The package choices are complicated enough that you can end up paying a lot of $$ if you're not paying attention and doing calculations in your head. Once you do it a few times, you will be familiar with the options they offer. GL!

ETA: Also, if you have an Entertainment book, they have a 50% off total purchase for JC penny portraits, so that can be useful if you want to get enhancements (I like a few Sepia photos).

gatorsmom
01-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Thank you so much to everyone who responded, I really appreciate it. All your suggestions are so helpful. I think I'll go with JCP since the nearest PI is 2 hours away.

Wish us luck!