PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get a bit scared about meeting CL strangers? UPDATE

elektra
01-20-2009, 11:50 PM
UPDATE:
All went well, the guy brought his baby. My gut was telling me that he was fine, but with me being a woman, and pregnant, I can't help but feel uneasy about inviting what is essentially a male stranger to meet me at my house!
I did take precautions though (asked nanny to stick around, pushed trailer outside and did all talking in front of and on the side of my house, etc.), as I am also the camp of not letting my uneasiness prevent me from doing the things I want to do. However, that doesn't mean I still don't feel that uneasiness, KWIM?

Is it just me or does anyone else feel uneasy about posting something, then giving your address to a random stranger who then comes over to your house?
I am meeting someone tomorrow morning who wants to buy my bike trailer and I will be alone. It just could go so wrong, you know?

purpleeyes
01-20-2009, 11:52 PM
I have a bunch of baby/kitchen stuff I know I could get rid of on CL, but that is the one thing that scares me. even if they come when I am not alone, they would still know my address, and that just freaks me out!!

IDcam
01-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I've had plenty of responses from CL that never show up for an appointment. Now I usually respond to emails/calls with what part of the city we live in and tell them to call me when they're on their way so I can give them specific directions. If you explain that you've had a lot of flakers then they should understand.

MMMommy
01-21-2009, 12:06 AM
For Craig's List, if the item is portable/transportable, I always meet in a public place during the daytime (in front of local grocery store). If the item is large or not transportable, I try to gauge the email inquiries. If the person sounds weird or questionable, I won't sell to them. But if it sounds legit, I have the person only come during the daytime on the weekend when DH is home. Generally, if I can avoid it, I never give out my home number or address. I correspond strictly by email, set the time/date/public place to meet. You can never be too safe.

happymomma
01-21-2009, 12:11 AM
I think sometimes I am too naive. I've sold a lot of items on CL or given stuff on freecycle. I've also picked up items on CL. It is just so much easier having them pick the item up then to meet them at a pubic place. Schlepping 2 kids around is really hard to do. But lately I have been thinking about that and feel that I probably should just not sell the items on CL. I am not as nervous when it's been women that I've contacted.

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2009, 12:12 AM
That's the reason I don't CL or Freecycle.

Beth

elektra
01-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Yah, it just gets me nervous. I think I am going to ask the nanny to stick around instead of taking DD to the park as usual. Luckily (at least in this case!) I do live right in front of an elementary school so it actually should be recess when the guy comes and alot of people will be out to witness the kidnapping if it takes place! I am obviously kidding but like I said, it is just kinda scary too.
DH said he will get it all set up for me tonight so that I should be able to just speak to the buyer out front and deal with it all right there.
I have always had really good luck with CL too actually. It's even how I found my nanny!
And the guy seemed totally nice and normal, no red flags. But I know I shouldn't just go on first instinct alone.

kijip
01-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Does not bother me in the least. I don't have people come when I am all alone but I figure there are a lot of ways for criminals to find/target/attack me...I just don't think it is likely and I refuse to live scared. Just my 2 cents. I don't give my address over email- I call them to give it and if anything seems off about their email communication or phone call, I move on to the next person. Only done that a couple of times. Also I have them tell me the times they can come rather than listing my times so as to not give out a list of times I won't be home to a stranger. So they list a few times they can come and email their number and I call them and tell them which of their times works for me and my address.

infomama
01-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else feel uneasy about posting something, then giving your address to a random stranger who then comes over to your house?
I am meeting someone tomorrow morning who wants to buy my bike trailer and I will be alone. It just could go so wrong, you know?

Trust your instincts. Do you have a neighbor/friend that can come sit with you while that person is at your house? I would reschedule if not.

strollerqueen
01-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Does not bother me in the least. I don't have people come when I am all alone but I figure there are a lot of ways for criminals to find/target/attack me...I just don't think it is likely and I refuse to live scared. Just my 2 cents. I don't give my address over email- I call them to give it and if anything seems off about their email communication or phone call, I move on to the next person. Only done that a couple of times. Also I have them tell me the times they can come rather than listing my times so as to not give out a list of times I won't be home to a stranger. So they list a few times they can come and email their number and I call them and tell them which of their times works for me and my address.

ITA. Never worried about it before.

jgenie
01-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Yes, it makes me nervous. I found two local churches that have yearly rummage sales and the great thing is they will take donations year round. I pile up stuff and when I have a full load I make a trip to drop it off.

I have bought from CL, but I always bring someone with me to wait in the car. I once went to buy clothes - it was a mom with a young child and she had the clothes in her home office. She just directed me in there to look through the piles and left. I couldn't get over how dangerous that was - there were stacks of paperwork on the desk within easy reach.

maestramommy
01-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Not really. But I only posted one thing so far, a play kitchen. So a mom came in the middle of the day to pick it up with her toddler. Oh, and we did sell a snap n go. A man came to pick it up, and it just worked out that Dh was home so he met the guy in the apt lobby.

I've picked up something before and the seller's dh came to the door with the item. Paid my money and that was it.

kep
01-21-2009, 09:35 AM
For Craig's List, if the item is portable/transportable, I always meet in a public place during the daytime (in front of local grocery store). If the item is large or not transportable, I try to gauge the email inquiries. If the person sounds weird or questionable, I won't sell to them. But if it sounds legit, I have the person only come during the daytime on the weekend when DH is home. Generally, if I can avoid it, I never give out my home number or address. I correspond strictly by email, set the time/date/public place to meet. You can never be too safe.

This is pretty much what I do. I follow my instincts, and try to gauge the person based on their e-mails. We usually meet in front of a busy Starbucks. It is really rare that we meet at my house.

Ceepa
01-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I have some things that I think about posting on CL but I can't bring myself to actually do it because I'm apprehensive.

ahrimie
01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
I'd say go with your comfort level. I can see how some feel the need to be very guarded while others don't. I think that's part of our personality too.

I could see myself going either way. And especially in this economy, I personally would feel a bit unsafe. My friend's condo complex was recently attacked by a robber in broad daylight (during the workday), who literally went from house-to-house. He finally stopped when the last home had a little baby and grandma. This is a decent neighborhood too. I just feel like a poor economy brings out the worst in some people and they start getting really desperate. Plus, with a child now, I'm much more cautious. I look on CL every now and then but I only look at the ads in good neighborhoods too, for my safety.

I don't mean to scare you at all.. lol, I hope I didn't!! But that's just how I see things.

KBecks
01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
I feel a little nervous but the people I have spoken with on the phone have all been so nice, it helps. And usually DH is around, but not always. However, I live in a really quiet place. I see your location in the OC and can't help but think Real Housewives now! I think I would be a little uneasy in busy CA.

Don't get nervous when I stop over to pick up Electra for the weekend. ;)

1964pandora
01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I only schedule CL pick ups on the weekend or during the evenings when my husband will be home.

3blackcats
01-21-2009, 10:22 AM
If it's a small, portable item I will meet them at a local coffee shop to exchange the item. I have only sold my coffee table in which someone had to come to my house to pick it up. I made sure my DH was home.

And really who is going to kidnap me over a coffee table?

I agree with PP's I don't want to live in fear.

ETA In my opinion people give much more personal information over the internet, things like facebook or message boads. Just think people post pictures of their houses, kids and where they work, etc.

crayonblue
01-21-2009, 10:55 AM

Exactly this.

elektra
01-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Success- trailer sold, cash in hand, all safe and sound :)

brittone2
01-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I only schedule CL pick ups on the weekend or during the evenings when my husband will be home.

Yep. I also screen the emails a bit (certainly doesn't provide a guarantee though). I've also done the meet up in a public place thing several times.

mamaoftwins
01-21-2009, 02:35 PM
I try to meet people at my local mall in front of Macy's large covered entrance (5min from my house) or if they need to come over, I do it when DH is home, evenings and weekends.

Glad to hear that your pick up went well!!

DrSally
01-21-2009, 06:38 PM
I get a feel for people over email or phone and then schedule pu's when DS is home. It's too much trouble for me to meet in a public place and then you have to worry about flakers. I've picked up lots of toys from CL, all from other SAHM's. We always meet out in the driveway.

Melaine
01-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I've done CL sales dozens of times. Mostly, I meet them in a public place, like the mall food court or Target parking lot. If it is a HUGE item or a HUGE lot of small items, I will arrange for them to come when my DH is home too. A couple times I'll confess that I have had the person come when it's just me, but I'll call DH and say, expect to hear from me in 5 minutes! Then I call him back to say the meeting (in my driveway) went as expected.

I'll admit one time I was at the foodcourt at the mall around 8pm (left DC home with DH) waiting for someone from CL to meet me. I was looking around for a woman with two kids, but I started getting a little freaked out. What if SHE was really that creepy looking GUY all dressed in black over ALONE at a table....but then she showed up and all was well. I guess it is a little risky....but isn't everything.

Aarohismom
01-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I always schedule pick ups at a public place during a day if the item is potable.

vejemom
01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Maybe this is horrible of me, but if the item can't be taken to a public place, I'll deal only with other women. I'm not sure how much safer this really is, but I just feel more comfortable. We live in a gated community, so buyers must check in with the guard, who calls me to see if they have permission to come in. l'm not a big fan of the gated community thing in general, but it is handy in this type of situation. We also have "The Beast". :ROTFLMAO: I do let people know that he's around - framing it as a question of making them comfortable - e.g. "Are you nervous around dogs? I'll have the item out in the garage then."

Even with all that, DH hates it when I sell things on CL because he still feels obligated to be around for the pickup! So far all of the buyers have been incredibly normal, nice people.