PDA

View Full Version : Most relaxing spa services and tips on getting a bargain!

sste
01-20-2009, 11:52 PM
I am seriously fried. My attempt at a four-day vacation (which you all posted helpfully about with respect to childcare) was stressful as we got awful news about our dog having cancer as we were getting off the plane.

I am now thinking of a spa day - - something I have never done. However, I am so freaking cheap that I am worried I will be stressed about the expense all day rather than relaxing. Also, not sure that some things like being wrapped like a heated burrito sound all that relaxing. I like massage and hot tub type things but have never done anything fancier.

Besides massage, what you you find relaxing at a spa?

Any tips on getting bargains, what is a good price to pay, etc? I just cannot psychologically get past a $150 facial . . .

tylersmama
01-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Pedicure! I looove pedicures and find them so relaxing! Personally, I'm not a huge fan of facials...the extractions hurt which is NOT relaxing in the least.

As far as bargains, if you're a costco member, they usually have Spawish gift certificates $100 worth for $80. A great deal, and you can look on their website to find spas near you that accept the gc's. One of the nicest, fanciest spas in our area accepts them, so I've used them a couple of times for a half-day package (massage, manicure, pedicure, and facial or reflexology session).

LD92599
01-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Do you have any massage schools or beauty schools around? Granted it's not going to be the spa experience itself but the end result could be much better on the wallet.

I actually just called one of our local spa's (the fountain - LOVE it!) tonight to book myself for Valentine's Day morning.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Laura

niccig
01-21-2009, 12:33 AM
I get GC to one near us. I get a massage and they let you spend as much time before or after in the sauna/hot tub. I'm probably there over 2 hours. One hour for massage and one for the tub/sauna.

elektra
01-21-2009, 01:04 AM
I get GC to one near us. I get a massage and they let you spend as much time before or after in the sauna/hot tub. I'm probably there over 2 hours. One hour for massage and one for the tub/sauna.

:yeahthat:

And if you are worried about the expense, just get the cheapest service (probably a manicure or pedicure) and then lounge all day in the facilities. The steam is my favorite personally. :)

Burke Williams (a chain) has a spa near my house. Our Costco sells SpaFinder gift cards that are good at many places too.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-21-2009, 01:49 AM
A facial! Hands down (no manicure pun intended). If nothing else, usually places will offer a 10% discount on combined services.

wendibird22
01-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I used to get massages but then one time decided to try a facial. LOVED IT. Here's why...you get almost a full body massage along with the facial cleansing. So while all the lovely products are soaking into your skin, you get an arm, shoulder, neck, head, and foot massage. So the only think missing is the back massage. For me it's like a two for one! I'll never get just a massage again! So, yes, facials seem pricey, but you get more IMO.

fortato
01-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Where do you live??
If you live in Connecticut, Mass, or NH-
This month Elizabeth Grady is offering 25% off all their services... facials, massages, mani/pedis, everything.

www.elizabethgrady.com

Good luck!! Hope you find something good!!

writermama
01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
It really depends on what the spa offers. One of my favorite services is a mini-facial -- it's less expenseive, it doesn't include the uncomfortable "extractions" part, and there's something kind of special about a gentle face massage. But not all spas carry something like that.

I also like pedicures and massages. I've only had one hot stone massage, and it wasn't as magical as the one described by my friend because the therapist who did mine was a beginner. But I'm willing to try again. I also like body treatments -- I don't necessarily believe that being wrapped up in clay or algae or honey does anything special for my body, but the exfoliation and mosturizing and just the being wrapped up in a heated blanket and chilling out for a little while are great to me. (If, however, you are clausterphobic, I wouldn't think you'd enjoy that like I do.)

If you know where you want to go, check out their specific services for things like a mini-facial or packages that include several services, and look for a spa that has hot tub/steam room type things you can use before and after your spa treatment.

Jen841
01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I am all about the Experience. I go 1X a year due to DH's forcing (I have a hard time parting with the $). I want a place with a lounge. I recently went to the Elizabeth Arden spa at the Seaview in NJ. It was nice. You can make it a day experience with just one service.

My personal favorite is the spa at the Cheseapeake Hyatt in Easton, MD.

YEARS ago I went to A Thousand Waves in Chicago and that was nice (but a lot of people walked around nude and I just wore my robe.)

I want a place that you wear a robe and slippers, they have a relaxation room, and then sauna/steamroom and/or whirlpool.

Go early, do something relaxing, so to the relaxation room, get your treatment, relax, so something nice, take a leasurely shower without children peaking in, then take your time dressing, do your hair, do your make-up then take a deep breathe and return to the real world.

For the SPA experience, I do with a massage or facial. I have not been somewhere that you can get the full experience with just a nail treatment.

Melbel
01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Our Costco carries SpaFinder certificates ($100 worth for $80) which is accepted by some nice spas in our area. I would also go to the spa's website for any specials or package deals and sign up on their email list for specials. My favorite treatments include hot stone massage, neuromuscular massage, facial, pedicure and manicure. Enjoy the day of relaxation!

Twoboos
01-21-2009, 11:46 AM
If you have an AmEx card, you can use the Membership Rewards points for SpaFinder gift cards! (just check Spafinder.com first to make sure there is a spa/salon nearby you would like to go to.)