PDA

View Full Version : I really wan to learn another language! What are my options?

daisy1234
01-21-2009, 04:12 PM
I was thinking about taking a class at a University that is close by...but a friend suggested Rosetta stone? I have a few friends in the neighborhoo dthat I can practice with and DH has taken 4 years of Spanish...and he is up for re-learning!!! Are we nuts! Please share!

writermama
01-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Take the class. Given a choice between a real class with a real teacher and real other students to talk to and educational software -- take the class. And I say this as someone who used to design educational software.

Use the software as an enrichment, as a review, as an extra tool. Use it as a substitute only if in-person learning is not available -- particularly in foreign languages.

happymomma
01-21-2009, 05:05 PM
I agree. I think it's a lot better learning from an instructor than from a software. But then I am language challenged.

nfowife
01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
I think the class will be better. You will have a dedicated time to work on learning the language. We are living abroad and I'm taking a class twice a week (for 2.5 hours each time). Part of what is nice about having a live, fluent instructor is that you can ask questions as they arise about how to say something, or why something is done a certain way, or whatever. It really enhances my understanding of the language to be able to hear and converse with a live person and to discuss the language as well. I just don't think you can get that from a computer program. I know I wouldn't spend 5 hours a week on a computer program, even if I wanted to, because other things would come up.

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm doing the Pimmsleur Mandarin Chinese cds - I have all 3 sets, but I'm still on set 1.

It's been a lot of fun for me and I have really learned a lot. I like the cds because I can listen in the car on my way to/from work and I don't have to find any extra time to do it.

I have the advantage, though, of my husband being fluent and about 1/2 my coworkers. My coworkers get a kick out of my questions when I get to work and didn't understand how to say something. :)

The downside is lack of written material, but I am trying to supplement somewhat.

elektra
01-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I think the CD's would be ok if you have someone to REALLY practice with you. Otherwise do the class. You really need the interaction IMO.

stefani
03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
My suggestion will be to check out Pimsleur from you library and take the class. I am doing that with Mandarin Chinese. It helps to hear it a lot and I drive quite a bit, so I do Pimsleur in the car. It is nice to have someone to correct your pronunciation and also for you to ask questions.

Good luck!