PDA

View Full Version : OMG- MIL *is* "Fancy Nancy" all grown up!

Happy 2B mommy
01-21-2009, 06:11 PM
We just got the Fancy Nancy book for DD and I'm rolling on the floor. MIL's overnight bag is a 'valise', she wears a 'dressing gown' and has said "It doesn't matter that I'm not a good cook. Everything tastes good if it's well-presented". When I asked her to bring something to a casual potluck dinner, she brought a lovely and very formal centerpiece. No one else in her family is like this. She's from a farm/factory worker family.

Oh, and to boot, her name really is Nancy!

Anyone else know a childrens' book character IRL?

MarisaSF
01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
My daughter would like to play with your MIL. ;)

Corie
01-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Back before we had kids and we were living in our apartment, I'm
pretty sure we lived next door to PigPen. (from Charlie Brown)

Neatfreak
01-21-2009, 09:58 PM

Mine, too. We should schedule a playdate :)

MontrealMum
01-21-2009, 10:30 PM
I imagine that a fairly good case could have been made that my grandmother was Amelia Bedelia...besides not being a maid (or was she a nanny?)...but certainly on the misunderstanding, forgetfullness, and endless mishaps. I have never seen an adult woman (pre-dementia no less) so apt to misplace her car or misunderstand directions. In any case, she was a heck of a lot of fun :)

caleymama
01-22-2009, 09:58 AM
That's great! I read your post yesterday but didn't have a chance to reply and have been chuckling about it ever since. "Valise" hee hee

Happy 2B mommy
01-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Oh, yes, MIL is hoping DD will be a 'girly-girl'. I was soooo gender neutral before DD was born. Two weeks after her arrival, I was awash in a sea of pink!