PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Confusion - HELP!

Nosrac
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Calling all experienced baby wearers. I'm in need of your expertise. I am petit - 5'2" and 120 lbs (and still dropping the baby weight). I have an infant who at 6 months weighs approximately 18 lbs. and is about 27" long. I'll add that my infant is quite active but also likes to snuggle close to mom. I would like a carrier to use for various outings - shopping, dog walks, hiking, air travel, etc. I would like something that I will be able to comfortably use for the distant and not-so-distant future. Any suggestions? Maya wrap, Ergo, Beco, Pikkolo? This is all new to me.

jgenie
01-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm petite - 5'0 / 100 lbs - my DS weighs 17 lbs - we have a Maya wrap and an O & A (http://olivesandapplesauce.com/). I used the Maya when DS was younger, but now I much prefer the O&A - it is so easy to pop him in and out of. O&A isn't taking new orders now, but you can probably buy one used on FSOT at thebabywearer.com. Otherwise, you might look at other soft sided carriers. There are quite a few options at frogmama (http://frogmama.com/) - she's great to work with and can help you narrow down your choices. GL

vahnessuh
01-21-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm also 5'2 and 120 lbs (still have 10 more lbs to go)... and love my Pikkolo. I can't say enough praises about this carrier. It's fully adjustable so if your husband is taller and bigger, he can customized it to fit himself. And if you decide to switch off, you can adjust it to fit you perfectly in a snap.

The baby can face in, face out, back carried and hip carried in it. I have a bad back and I never had any problems or complaints with it.

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Same dimensions here and I am happy with my Beco (bought on frogmama that the pp suggested). I think all the ones you listed are great choices. Google "Nino" (nine in, nine out- a bay wearing group) in your city to see if there are any baby wearing meetings you can attend. When I went to a meeting near me I was able to try on all sorts of carriers and get advice from other moms. Very helpful!
Beth

pb&j
01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Similar dimensions (a few more pounds of babyweight left to drop, though), short torso, and I love my Beco. The learning curve took a few days, but now I can get it on and off in no time flat, and it is very comfortable. I go on daily long walks with it, and use it when out and about as well. DH uses around the house sometimes, too. Added bonus - it is so pretty! DD (2 mos) falls asleep almost immediately whenever I put her in it. :)

mamababa
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
If you can, I'd get two carriers - a pouch or ring sling (like the Maya Wrap) and a soft buckle carrier, like Beco or Pikkolo. That way you have some easy, fast & snuggly (rs or pouch), and something that is comfortable for longer carries (buckle carrier). We love our Pikkolo and our Kangaroo Korner pouches, here. We love our ERGO, too, but have heard it's not as great for smaller/petite mamas.

new_mommy25
01-24-2009, 02:49 PM
I would get a soft structured carrier like Beco, Ergo, Angelpack, Nana's Jetpack, Pikkolo etc. If you can try it out in person first.

At 18 pounds I'm not sure I would bother with a Maya wrap.

shilo
01-25-2009, 02:00 AM
If you can, I'd get two carriers - a pouch or ring sling (like the Maya Wrap) and a soft buckle carrier, like Beco or Pikkolo. That way you have some easy, fast & snuggly (rs or pouch), and something that is comfortable for longer carries (buckle carrier). We love our Pikkolo and our Kangaroo Korner pouches, here. We love our ERGO, too, but have heard it's not as great for smaller/petite mamas.

this is exactly what i'd recommend. i'm 5'1" but have quite a bit more weight on me (i wear a 12P now, 10P before DS2 if that helps). short torso, pear shaped.

i LOVE peanut shell pouches, especially the microfleece. i'd guess you'd wear a small based on your original post. i slung DS1 until he was close to 2yrs. a pouch can't be beat for rolling up and leaving in your diaper bag for quick trips in/out. altho i built up to being able to wear DS1 at 20something pounds, it's not as comfy for prolonged wearing as a buckle carrier that distributes weight onto your hips and both shoulders... for DS2 i picked up a pikkolo and i have to say it's _fabulous_ as well. i do have to put an outward half twist in both of the shoulder straps when doing a front carry to be comfy and not have the straps rub at my neck (i think b/c of my shorter torso). but with that minor modification i can wear DS2 for 2+ hours at a time very easily right now. i picked up my pikkolo from laurel at carrymeaway.com - she's very helpful and a fellow BBB'er. i'd say the only drawback i have with the pikkolo would be true of any buckle carrier (ergo, beco, etc.) and that would be that it's not really practical to carry it folded/rolled up in your diaper bag, so it takes a little more planning to make sure you have it with you when you need it.

other carriers i've tried and not been so thrilled with - ERGO (not great for my frame size, as previously mentioned), hotsling (just not as comfy as peanut shell's for me), zolowear ringsling (couldn't ever find a position where the rings didn't 'dig in' on me).

hth.